Making perfect loops with Excel

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things.

First, I found that the correct name for this shape is a helix. A spiral is actually a 2D shape.

Right now the helix generator works very well for small heights but the road pieces do not line up properly when the height is very large. Think of a helix that looks like a strand of RNA(single helix) or DNA(double helix). I think it would be pretty neat, but I'm unsure how tough it would be to drive on.

With the most used website-making technique (PHP, and I know pretty much about that language) you can do wonderfull things. My idea is: You get a form where you have to fill in some stuff (like in the excel sheet). When you press the "Generate" button, you recieve a personalized .map file.

I can do that, I just need the theory ;)

With the most used website-making technique (PHP, and I know pretty much about that language) you can do wonderfull things. My idea is: You get a form where you have to fill in some stuff (like in the excel sheet). When you press the "Generate" button, you recieve a personalized .map file.

That is much better to do with Javascript.

I agree you can do it with javascript too. But do you really think its much better? I think the PHP functions are better for this purpose.

And, I don't know javascript as well as I know PHP :twisted::P

Just let me know if you need me...and it's also a challange for me to maken such a tool, never done anything before (have only made personal site's before)

I agree you can do it with javascript too. But do you really think its much better? I think the PHP functions are better for this purpose.

Just let me know if you need me...and it's also a challange for me to maken such a tool, never done anything before (have only made personal site's before)

It's better to do things client-side(as long as there is no security risk), that way you save bandwidth and time(for the user).

Edit: here is a great site for learning Javascript: http://w3schools.com/js/js_intro.asp

It's better to do things client-side(as long as there is no security risk), that way you save bandwidth and time(for the user).

Edit: here is a great site for learning Javascript: http://w3schools.com/js/js_intro.asp

Well I know some javascript, but not all 100%. And the bandwidth, i think that's not a reason why I should do it with PHP. That's so minimal it isn't a point ;)

But thanks for the message.

Very nice.

I think the output, however, should only include the code for the actual objects. Most of the time you will be pasting code into an existing map. There is no need to generate an entire map file for each helix.

I am interested in seeing the code you wrote. Especially the part that preforms the calculations and the section of code that controlls the output. you can e-mail it to me at

[email protected]