Impressions..

Heya folks,

I've been waiting for this version of the Mod to come out for a while now, checking more or less daily and when it finally comes out, all seems to be ok with a few problems.

In the demo movies I'm seeing for this version, people are showing up as the actual team sides' model. Mafia looks like Mafia and Diablo looks like Diablo. However, when I play, everyone is in the default skin.

Although being able to chase each other all over Portland is fun, it seems to be a bit... lacking... I know you guys were rushed to release and there's still bugs (what new software DOESN'T have bugs?) but the basic premise of being able to take out the opposing team just isn't there. The radar seems to work (it's tracking players great!) but they are all green squares as opposed to what I thought were going to be pink if they were on an opposing team. Perhaps that's going to come later.

I think out of all the various GTA III MP Mods, this is by far the most supported by staffing. GGM works, but there appears to be one guy only and you never see much about what's on the way or what kind of progress he's making. Lack of animation as you run about and people just sort of "appearing" in cars. While GGM "works" it certainly doesn't have the feel that this one does. I won't go into how it crashes whenever something blows up =) I haven't gotten a chance to try the other Mod (I think there's only GTA3T out there, I'm sure some devotee of that mod will let me know if I'm mistaken)

Anyway, I digress.. You guys are doing good work here and I hope things get smoother and more "to the point" in the next version. Just get the basics down first (separating teams, car damage either by physically showing it or a meter of some kind, Player names would be nice, Player health would be even nicer) and build up from there.

A few suggestions:

Separate the Teams (maybe it's just me, for some reason, but I can't tell who's on what side!)

Give us a Damage meter of some flavor

Name the players so I can tell who I'm chasing ;)

Make travel between the Islands work correctly

Lower the current 900 Health to something more feasible, say 200 perhaps

Weapon pickups would be nice

Don't let yourselves be pressured into early releases. You do that and people will STILL complain (as has been noted extensively on these boards)

Automate the "Send game request" somehow or find a way to remove it all together

Please note, I am neither a programmer or analyst of any kind. I don't know how hard or how easy any of the above suggestions would be to integrate into the program, but I wanted to toss out some ideas (which I'm sure have already been put forth) and try to encourage you guys a little bit.

Keep up the good work

--- Loendal

there is really only 100 health.. when you get to 800, you die... thats so you dont actually die and get sent to the hospital.

and remember, they rushed this release so they couldnt keep all the features(proper teams, game mods, etc)... 0.4 is supposed to include that stuff... or atleast thats what i heard.

all of the above suggestions have been put in place, and will probably be worked on and corrected.

0.35 should have seperate teams, and as for damage meter, syncing that may be in 0.4

Names on scrollover etc is also very complex and may have to be postponed until 0.4

Weapon pickups are really easy to do, but its pointless unless those weapons can be syncd (future versions)

The health issue is easy to fix as well.

As for send game request automation, I wouldnt know about *xerox calls kent or one of the other devs who is working on the netcode* =)

My suggestion (not original as other have previously said this) would be for your character to stay on the ground for a while when its dead so you can kick it/give it a lead shower =)

I think out of all the various GTA III MP Mods, this is by far the most supported by staffing. GGM works, but there appears to be one guy only and you never see much about what's on the way or what kind of progress he's making. Lack of animation as you run about and people just sort of "appearing" in cars. While GGM "works" it certainly doesn't have the feel that this one does. I won't go into how it crashes whenever something blows up =) I haven't gotten a chance to try the other Mod (I think there's only GTA3T out there, I'm sure some devotee of that mod will let me know if I'm mistaken)

You might want to keep an eye on YaMM, no release as of today. I couldn't get GTA3T to work, whenever I start I get chased by a group of the player characters trying to beat me up! :shock: