My IP CHANGED!!!!!!

:shock: My IP CHANGED!!!!!! :shock:

why did my ip changed?

before it was 85.241.91.42

but now it is 85.241.84.216

how did this happened?

how can i put it the way it was?

i think i know why it changes because i've just removed (again) my usb cable from my modem and it changed again, now it is 85.241.84.22

how can i put it the way it was?

the ip to your computer changes. it's perfectly normal. if your worried about people not reaching you, then make sure that your server has the all-seeing eye reporting turned on. but you cannot give yourself the old ip.

many ISPs provide a static ip adress option (meaning your ip stays the same all the time) but it costs more and is pointless for what your doing.

• MTA Team

The problem:

We have only a limited number of IP adresses available. Reaching from 0.0.0.0 to 254.254.254.254 . Some ranges are reservered for private use (like 192.168.*.*).

The internet has always been controled by organisations in the United States and under some pressure they decided to reserve most IP ranges for providers inside the states leaving the rest of the world with not enough adresses.

As a result ISPs started using dynamic IP adresses. that way they need less adresses then if they wanted to give everyone a static adress. Everytime your modem starts it sends out a so called DHCP request to ask your ISP what it should set as an IP adress, subnetmask, gateway, dns server and so on. Now the IP adress you receive is leased. It is only yours for a limited amount of time. An hour, a day, ... and when the lease is almost expired the modem sends ou a new request for an IP and most of the time the lease gets renewed and you get to keep your adress.

So if you got good old dialup your adress would change everytime you come online. If you got broadband and shut down your modem when no one is online then the next time you go online your adress could have changed. Same after a power failure. Some ISPs also force you to change IP after a while. This is not a good thing cause all applications that are online at that time will disconnect.

What is the solution to this mess? More ip adresses. That is why the IPv6 protocol started, and at this moment a lot of the big companies are changing infrastructure to support IPv6, but it's gonna take time until it is available for consumers and it's gonna be even longer before we can say goodbye to the currently used IPv4 system.