Minimizing client

Actually it was implemented to prevent the annoying "pause to prevent someone from killing you" exploit people loved to use in MTA:VC. That is also why you cant get to the SA options menu when you hit ESC, instead it takes you to MTAs own menu

the only problem is that it is pretty hard to KILL gta:mta:sa *g* wehn GTA got error/ crashed and the anti-minimize-function is still running.

People who realy wanna start external progs, can still go over ctrl+alt+del and run some macro.

MTA is stupid not to put Minimize in it. Dreadful decision. /me runs to SA-MP. You says its to stop cheats? Well put Anti-Cheat measures on servers - example would be Steam with their VAC.

the only problem is that it is pretty hard to KILL gta:mta:sa *g* wehn GTA got error/ crashed and the anti-minimize-function is still running.

People who realy wanna start external progs, can still go over ctrl+alt+del and run some macro.

The main reason you should put it in is because of errors which will always occur. All i think is you should think about what your doing.

They know what they are doing. They removed the ability to minimize so people cant alt-tab to prevent themselves from getting killed. Alt tabbing to cheat death has plagued MTAVC since 0.1, so they finally stopped people from doing it.

My 2 cents.

I play a game called runescape, a MMORPG, i like to log onto that game and go afk and get me some 'free xp'... while it's 'free xp'ing in the background i like to load up games and play on them (CSS, HL2, MTA, etc).. and while im playing those games i normaly minimize to check up on my runescape and then maximze again and so forth for the rest of the evening.

MTA restricts me from doing this, and i find it quite anoying quiting MTA, checking up, and then loading MTA again every 5 minutes.

Not being able to minimize = suck.

How about minimizing and then maximizing with a bunch of errors and burning down in errors to the desktop. And after that coming here and posting a new topic "mta crash after maximize FIX IT!!!!!!!!!".

And about the freeze killer(when the game freezes you hit F5 and it exits) why not add this to MTA itself?

• MTA Team

there is a reason why we prevent minimizing, we have explained this before yet no one seems to remember.

MTA hooks into the game, receiving and sending data is related to the frames drawn on screen. Minimizing MTA interrupts the data transmission. That is also why you can alt+tab out of the map editor.

When MTA crashes it should be intercepted by the error handler, the same thing that sends the error reports.

Also one of the things i hate in online games is when someone just alt+tabs out to check something and then is just afk when he/she respawns and you get blocked by him/her.

• 3 weeks later...
  • MTA Team

Please use the search function of this forum .......

Minimizing has been adressed so many times. In theory when the game crashes it should get picked up by the error reporter which should close it. The reason why we can not allow people to alt+tab out of the game is cause it would desync the game for that player since events are handled on a frame per frame basis.

• 1 month later...

When I play I'm using running the server and playing from the same pc, with other clients joining through my wireless lan.

This means that if I need to alt+tab to windows to check something, for example 'what's my ip I've forgotton again' I need to unload GTASA completely, go back to windows, find out the info or make the changes I need and then reload it all again.

It's a pain in the backside. I understand that there is a need to prevent cheating but shirley there's better ways of handling it. Can't you just kick anyone that lags for more than 30 seconds or so? :?

Running a server on the same machine you're playing on is a silly idea anyway, do you not have another computer you can do it on? And I doubt there will ever be a change to the current way minimizing is handled (completely disabled) unless the team can program in some way of making the game still run even when it is minimized.

Well I could set up a laptop next to me but I have enough trouble getting all my chump pals pcs working let alone having two of me own! :D

Plus it's not just server administration that needs attention. Anyone tried using Zone Alarm whilst running MTA, soon as MTA starts accessing the internet it starts popping up in the background and requires you to click a box or three for the server, client and then the crash reporter. Since I can't flip back to windows to click that box I can't connect to even my own server on the same pc.

Disabling Alt+tab may sound like a cunning way of getting around them pesky cheaters but in the real world it doesn't work that way.

That said it did cause me to delete Zone Alarm which was just a scare-mongering pain in the arse. Back to good old sygate.