Use of <>'s as a clan tag...

Obviousness is relative to the observer.. and there are some foolish people in MTA. It just can't be done because people could manipulate the tags too much. It would take alot of extra work just so you can use "<" without risk. The standard gang tag was defined with "[ ]" ages ago in mtavc for a similar reason... problems with { } brackets (pm'ing players, wasnt it?). I suggested VCP start using [ ] and other gangs eventually switched to, as they were obviously the best alternative.

Isn't this a little extreme to, essentially, stop 3 names being used? It's a huge removal of functionality to clans who have always used <> for their clan tag. You said yourself that "obviousness is relative to the observer" you then went on to say that "[] ...were obviously the best alternative."

Well I'm sorry to say that it's not obvious to me...

Let me put it another way:

If I have my name as I don't look like an admin, so why shouldn't I be allowed to call myself ?

• 2 weeks later...

We might look into solving it, but its hardly a "huge removal of functionality". Just prefix and suffix your tag with something else, or prefix the whole tag with another character, e.g. - or a space.

I know its annoying, but to be honest we really have a lot of more important things to look at fixing right now :)

• 1 month later...