Has GTA lost it?

Fat Russian

Is GTA losing it?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Is GTA losing it?

• Yes
    • No

Question

I couldn't stop thinkin bout this in school today. I've played most of the GTA games, but with every new one there's less and less atmosphere. In VC for example, u could take the pill thing which would make u go slow-mo and hit cops 10 feet in the air and all that. In San Andreas, they've taken that out.

Next it'll be "Here, [character name], pass all the tests in etiquette school to unlock the new missions," and "Here, [character name], go buy yourself some non-alcoholic beer with this $500,"

Their argument is that its setting a bad example to kids. For one thing, kids shouldn't be playing this game, and even if they are, how dumb would you have to be to get influenced into taking drugs or smashing cars with a baseball bat by a computer game? I'm gonna include a poll to see what you people think, because I seriously hope that the next game will feature all the cool stuff from the earlier GTAs.

My answer would be Yes/No i really like the huge map of San Andreas there is so much fun and life in it. But Vice City was the most atmospheric part in the GTA series imo. I was really in love with the 80`s style i never played a single player game longer than GTA:VC. GTA3 was not that good at all and i think you cant compare the older 2D GTA games with the ones based on the 3D engine but they were great fun also.

The controversy makes the game so popular, aside from the greatness it contains. Everyone wants to be a rebel and play the big kids' game. :) As long as they are not held back by laws they will continue (in a half reasonable fashion) to tell people like Jack Thompson to :o off, while avoiding law suits.

I think this game doesn't promote violence, rather promotes natural selection. Even as a little kid you should have some common sense to know whats unacceptable from gta, if you don't then blame it on the parenting.

Their argument is that its setting a bad example to kids. For one thing, kids shouldn't be playing this game, and even if they are, how dumb would you have to be to get influenced into taking drugs or smashing cars with a baseball bat by a computer game?

Video and computer games will continue to be an exciting and growing part of children’s media diets. With so many good games available for children and youth these days, its quite possible to grab hold of anything. They sometimes say Antisocial behavior problems can occur from learning from violent games, which can cause to aggression and different emotions might affect them later in life. At the end of the day its the parents who let their children play the games.

Oh boy i should read the whole post before i hit reply^^

In this i case i dont think its lost athmosphere, cause i always got this moments while playing Singleplayer SA where i had my laugh p.e. driving down the road some passenger jumps of the street to escape my car and got wrecked up by a big truck, sounds simple and violent but its just the game i definitly wont laugh if something like this happen in reality.

imo thats the thing that make GTA such a great game its close to reality and you can be any kind of person you want to from a mass murder to the gently guy that helps an old lady across the street, anything is possible but it stays virtual.

As long kids got a good education and parents that care for them i believe they wont have any problems to differ reality from virtuality. But sadly there are too many kids out there who dont have responsible parents.

What is GTA loosing? The best part was already taken out by GTA2 (the realism). GTA was the best GTA because it was realistic (well atleast as a part os the series). They arguments is the kids will get influenced? Well let 'em as the game is rated from +18 to +21. If some kid kills someone, will it be game fault? Or maybe it will be, because the kid was already retarted? Answer yourself.

I'm not talking about pickups. I'm talking about the atmosphere. In VC, u could take drugs and do all sorts of shit. In SA, it's restricted to killing only. They should be EXPANDING the idea. Introducing drinking, smoking, making it all more realistic. The deaths should be made more graphical as well. If some stupid kid goes and kills someone, it's not the game's fault, cause the kid shouldn't have been playing it in the first place. So what the hell are they worried about?

I'm not talking about pickups. I'm talking about the atmosphere. In VC, u could take drugs and do all sorts of :~. In SA, it's restricted to killing only. They should be EXPANDING the idea. Introducing drinking, smoking, making it all more realistic.

Isn't that what they've been doing? San Andreas has drugs, prostitutes, and more vulgar language than ever before. Sure they might have taken out that pill in SA, but did you do play the mission where you burn the weed and then have to drive Truth's van impaired from the drugs? That's a much more explicit representation of drugs than the pill imo. It would be nice if you could provide some more examples for your argument so I could see where you're coming from.

Also, I don't think that stuff contributes all that much to atmosphere either. Rather it's the level design, characters, and setting that shape the game's atmosphere (at least for me).

hmmm... I guess you're right about the drugs. But still. I think San Andreas is a great game, and I'm not trying to slag it off in any way, and I can't quite put my finger on it in terms of what does it, but the atmosphere in SA is different. Happy. All the places are sorta... well... happy. In VC when you start, you see a f***ed up town, newspapers and things moving about on the ground, Catalina shooting you at the start... it's dark and gloomy and mafia-like. In SA you start off in an alley with a bike, and you go to CJ's house on it while doing bunny hops and things... its still a great game, but for me it just doesn't have that 'edge' to it.

Perhaps. Its either GTA3 or VC... haven't played either one for a long time (bout 2 years).

It was GTA3. VC's beginning was good too, with the drug heist that went wrong. SA's beginning was very disappointing in my opinion. CJ just gets threatened by the corrupt policeman whose name I've forgotten. The end cutscene was disappointing too, but the last level was cool (I won't spoil it for those who haven't got that far).

Their argument is that its setting a bad example to kids. For one thing, kids shouldn't be playing this game, and even if they are, how dumb would you have to be to get influenced into taking drugs or smashing cars with a baseball bat by a computer game?

That better not be aimed at me. Even though I am 12, I hate being discriminated by my age. I do agree though, only psychotic/immature/moronic people would do that. People who have no background of whats right or whats wrong. People like Jack Thompson, lol. I don't agree with the poll though, just judging my comparing 2 games together, maybe I'll vote (if there is a poll at THAT time) when the next GTA is released (see I don't have a PSP lol)

anthmosphere.. yeah it lost it for me, prolly though cause gta3 was the first 3d gta so it was just smashing

vc was just too pink for my taste, actually its just scarface turned into a game with a different name, lame.

i like the 90s for sa, thats the time that influenced me the most as that was the time when i grew up so i like the music and that

character wise i dont think any gta player will ever beat fido, he never said a word in the whole game which made him 10 times more interresting, i dont talk a lot myself so i could kinda identify myself with him, talk is cheap o_O

what i wish R* would have ported to 3d was a few things from gta2, such as the oil slicks, mines, guns on vehicles and the gang system where gangs would get better weapons with the time, gta3d sp would have a lot more replay value if the gangs would get better and id like if there were bosses, like.. theyd have more hp and youd actually have to fight them in a firefight, not just shoot their heli and the games over..

i think id have to say that gta3 is my fav sp game of all times, just because of its athmospere, i havent really completed the game very often but just walking through the streets listening to what the peds say or taking a dodo ride is something no other game can ever match :)

i sooo have to play gta3 mta again when im home, good times :o

havent voted in the poll, its not loosing it, times just change

That better not be aimed at me. Even though I am 12, I hate being discriminated by my age. I do agree though, only psychotic/immature/moronic people would do that. People who have no background of whats right or whats wrong. People like Jack Thompson, lol. I don't agree with the poll though, just judging my comparing 2 games together, maybe I'll vote (if there is a poll at THAT time) when the next GTA is released (see I don't have a PSP lol)

No, it's not aimed at people like you. I'm 14 myself, and I don't consider it 'wrong' that under 18s are playing this game. As long as they are mature/intelligent/etc. and realize that almost nothing you do in GTA is actually legal in reality.

Perhaps. Its either GTA3 or VC... haven't played either one for a long time (bout 2 years). But that's not my point. My point is

Earlier Games more gangster-like than GTA.

Well i dont think so... its just another kind of business! While the older GTA parts where more mafia like, GTA:SA is more the kind of ghetto gang criminality. Thats just depends on whats your favour gangster style (sounds bad but isnt as long you keep it ingame) i for myself like both styles so in my opinion GTA hasn`t lost it.

I still hold on to Vice City as being the best in the series. The atmosphere is one of the most crucial parts (to me) in a game. a game has to give a sense of joy, in wich the atmosphere helps a lot. I was very disappointed with San Andreas. Of course i was impressed with the huge size of the map, and all the new gameplay features, but the whole thing was just wierd. The main character CJ appears to be a pleasant guy, taking care of his family and that stuff, however he can kill civilians as he pleases, it dosent fit. Tommy could kill everyone he wanted because he was a fucking psycho! (wich we learned from the story mode) 'Fido/claude' didnt even talk, so it was easy to assume he could kill without any sense.

Gta 3 had a interesting but dull atmosphere

Vice had a happy and hilarious atmosphere

Gta SA was just plain wierd

It may mean something that im a rock 'n roll kinda guy, and that i dont really understand hiphop.

Ive likied all of them, but there was definatly something in gta-vc. Possibly it was just the first gta i ever bought, but it just felt right. Maybe i just liked owning that mansion :) .

I never liked gta-3 (probably because i had already played vc when i got it) it wa a bit too dingy.

in fact, im going to go play vc now.

I was very disappointed with San Andreas. Of course i was impressed with the huge size of the map, and all the new gameplay features, but the whole thing was just wierd. The main character CJ appears to be a pleasant guy, taking care of his family and that stuff, however he can kill civilians as he pleases, it dosent fit.

I agree CJ is a bit too pleasant and even get's pwnd by a girl :\ (ever seen a gangsta get pwned by a girl?, well i haven't.) but it's not just the atmosphere. For me the gamplay is also important. IMO SA feels to much ported from the ps2 with the walking and turning, it makes the gameplay on foot slower while in vc and gta3 u could turn around and shoot much faster and that's just the part that is responsible for some action while in gun fights and that's what i like most in games. So IMO they should've kept the gta3/vc style foot controls and cj needs a bit more harsh personality.

Gta 3 had a interesting but dull atmosphere

The gameplay in the GTA games is like that of no other. I consider GTA3 to be revolutionary due to its open-ended nature, huge jump in production values over previous games, and an immense sense of style. Vice City is an evolution beyond that, with even better acting, more gameplay, a full '80s atmosphere, the ability to fly helicopters and drive motorcycles, and a million references and jokes.

Gta SA was just plain wierd

The Leaks, the "Hot Coffee" scandal, Myths, Easter Eggs and controversy's just become annoying to hear and read.