[Blog] Spectator and lag compensation (by ChrML)

orappa

I went away on Tuesday visiting someone in my family with cancer , and came back today. Before I went away, I wrote a spectator system for Deathmatch that seems to work pretty well. Changing spectated player works like in Race, using Left and Right arrow.

Also, Kent and I worked on some lag compensation code for shooting which also seems to work. Kent told me he was able to hit Oli running perpendicular to him with a Rifle with a decent ping, and aiming AT him (not infront of him). Shooting might still need some tweaks to work optimally but we're really happy with how it looks, and hell it's accurate. Ping compensation for shooting basically means you can hit moving players pretty accurately by aiming at them rather than trying to predict their future path to hit them. Walking and running is also very smooth. As far as I can tell, it's very close to Singleplayer smooth, also when running. Vehicle smoothness is also improved significantly from Race 1.1.1.

Have a nice day!

As far as I can tell, it's very close to Singleplayer smooth, also when running. Vehicle smoothness is also improved significantly from Race 1.1.1.

Yes, I was very impressed with the difference in smoothness from race to the current alpha dm. Whereas in race other people's cars always seem to go off at weird angles and then snap back, in dm even on a server running from a home computer that only happens rarely.

Have you managed to avoid or prevent the stand-off situation with gun fights that we had in Vice City once we perfected the aim?

(For those who don't know, this was where both players saw the 'Just took a hit' animation on each other. This meant the shooting animation and therefore the bullets didn't show meaning neither player took any hits themselves until a blip in the packets sent meant one broke out of it, his gun was seen to fire and the bullets would finally hit and kill the other.)

Have you managed to avoid or prevent the stand-off situation with gun fights that we had in Vice City once we perfected the aim?

(For those who don't know, this was where both players saw the 'Just took a hit' animation on each other. This meant the shooting animation and therefore the bullets didn't show meaning neither player took any hits themselves until a blip in the packets sent meant one broke out of it, his gun was seen to fire and the bullets would finally hit and kill the other.)

Ive not seen this yet but i will have a proper look later