High ping... what to do?

Guest link20220

Hi, I have high ping (1000-1500 ms) and when I'm playing when I pass in a checkpoint the server waits 1 second to see that I pass on that checkpoint... What I have to do to low it???

try to shut down as many applications that use/require internet as possible.

and if you have win xp pro, apply this tweak:

go to start>run>gpedit.msc
then go to computer configuration>administrative templates>network>QoS packet scheduler
set limit reservable bandwith to 0

and allso try to join servers that are near to your home, for a better connection.

Sort servers by ping and pick out the lowest ones to play on

go to start>run>gpedit.msc
then go to computer configuration>administrative templates>network>QoS packet scheduler
set limit reservable bandwith to 0

i just did and didnt help... (im not the guy who started the thread but i tried anyway) and i do have Windows XP Pro

windows xp pro reserves like 20% of your actual bandwith for itself, wasting it on useless updates and other stuff you allso can do manually, so if you have a good connection, you won't find any big differences, but this tweak gives you your full bandwith back.

You could try using port forwarding if your router supports it. I use it for alot of my heavy bandwidth programs.

You can also tweak how packets are handled in windows itself. Lastly, you can turn off alot of the network and remote services unless you absolutely need them.

Here is a list of services that most people need/use:

Automatic Automatic Updates - (Required by Windows Updates)

Automatic Background Intelligent Transfer Service - (Required by Windows Updates)

Automatic COM+ Event System - (Required by BootVis and other Applications)

Automatic Cryptographic Services - (Required to confirm the signature of Windows system files, Protected Root Services and Key Services)

Automatic DCOM Server Process Launcher - (Required by Disk Defragmenter)

Automatic DHCP Client - (Required for Cable/DSL connections and Routers)

Automatic DNS Client - (Improves Internet Performance)

Automatic Event Log - (Required by Windows and cannot be Stopped)

Automatic Logical Disk Manager - (Required to manage and update your Harddrives)

Automatic Network Connections - (Required by Network Connections)

Automatic Plug and Play - (Required by your System Hardware, Never Disable This!)

Automatic Print Spooler - (Required by Printers)

Automatic Protected Storage - (Required to protected sensitive data and to prevent access by unauthorized services, processes, or users.)

Automatic Remote Procedure Call (RPC) - (Required by Windows, Never Disable This!)

Automatic Security Accounts Manager - (Required to store security information for local user accounts)

Automatic Security Center - (Notifies you of you Firewall and AntiVirus Status)

Automatic Shell Hardware Detection - (Required by the AutoPlay feature)

Automatic System Event Notification - (Required by various Applications)

Automatic System Restore Service - (Required by the System Restore feature)

Automatic Task Scheduler - (Required by the Windows Prefetcher, BootVis and Norton AV, Never Disable This!)

Automatic Themes - (Required by the new look of Windows XP)

Automatic Windows Audio - (Required for Sound)

Automatic Windows Management Instrumentation - (Required by Windows, Never Disable This!)

Alot of those can be turned off if you don't actually think you'll use them though. I have about 13 processes running when my pc boots up, that's it.

If you want to optimize even further read this nice list of tweaks and whatnot you can do: http://blog.myspace.com/21539515

that is why i love the internet: you can kill people from all over the world without leaving your home!

cool to see that many nationalities are playing mta, allthough the fun might be pretty reduced with a ping of 1000-1500 :shock:

i hope you can fix it in any way :S