Strange issue on object outlines

Lergen

Question

I'm unsure how to best describe this issue other than that, the outlines of certain objects seem to have the peculiar effect of having the current weather's color "bleed through" their outlines when viewed from certain angles, almost as if they had some kind of transparency. For example:

spacer.png

The outlines on these vanilla SA objects are blue here, but if the weather were night-time for example, they'd be black.

spacer.png

However if I adjust my position a little bit, then the effect entirely disappears.

Any idea what causes this, or a possible solution? I've searched quite a bit but haven't seen any other topics on it. I'm unsure if it's an issue with MTA or something on my end, but the issue's been present for quite some time.

5 answers to this question

• Administrators

It's an issue with alpha rendering system. Have you mapped these objects or is everything default? It tends to happen when a LOD element is removed from an object, but I don't know why.

You might be able to resolve it by loading the object with a DFF replacement and enabling the alphaTransparency flag.

Edited by Tut
33 minutes ago, Tut said:

It's an issue with alpha rendering system. Have you mapped these objects or is everything default? It tends to happen when a LOD element is removed from an object, but I don't know why.

You might be able to resolve it by loading the object with a DFF replacement and enabling the alphaTransparency flag.

Strange. Yeah, these are default map objects - they're from a vanilla GTASA interior which should be unmodified from any work I've done, it's why it struck me as odd. There's a bunch of objects with no particular commonality on the vanilla SA overworld that are unfortunately plagued by this issue, although replaced objects have it as well - even some playermodels. Sadly it's hard to recall when exactly this cropped up, but I'm pretty sure some of these models were fine at one point, so it's quite strange.

Edited by Lergen
  • Administrators

I believe in order for alpha to render correctly on player models, they would need certain IDE flags, but they do not use any flags that I'm aware of. The issue can be fixed for world objects by replacing objects that has IDE flag 68, with the original DFF and TXD of the leaves.

If the object is then mapped in another interior or dimension (65k exists, plenty), the DFF/TXD replacements can be set to only enable in that world. So if it's an interior project that you're dealing with, this might very well be an ideal solution.

There's also the option of coding a HLSL script to draw alpha correctly, but that requires a bit of advanced understanding of coding as well as the shader language.

7 minutes ago, Tut said:

I believe in order for alpha to render correctly on player models, they would need certain IDE flags, but they do not use any flags that I'm aware of. The issue can be fixed for world objects by replacing objects that has IDE flag 68, with the original DFF and TXD of the leaves.

If the object is then mapped in another interior or dimension (65k exists, plenty), the DFF/TXD replacements can be set to only enable in that world. So if it's an interior project that you're dealing with, this might very well be an ideal solution.

There's also the option of coding a HLSL script to draw alpha correctly, but that requires a bit of advanced understanding of coding as well as the shader language.

Ah I see, so it's an MTA issue? That's unfortunate. I'll try out what you mentioned though, thanks for the advice! It's hardly a big inconvenience at least, I was just worried it might've been something I did on my end since it's a rather strange problem.