Rebooting randomly

Guest SpoonZ

OK,

This is the most frustrating thing EVER!

Really enjying the game but suffering crashes that just send me to reboot, i presume a blue screen.

Installed latest version, patched etc uninstalled reinstalled.

Randomly crashes, seems to be when either I wipe out or go through a checkpoint, no warning, no freeze just black screen and reboot. It can happen as soon as I enter a game or about 20 mins

No issues with any other games :roll:

Ahtlon 2400, ATI 9800XT, Asus A78NX, 1GB PC3200. latest ATI drivers and Nforce2.

Doing my nut in BIG TIME. Any suggestions?

Ok, firstly check your event log for any obvious issues:

Right-click My Computer>Manage>Expand Event Logs from System Tools and check Application and System logs.

Whilst you're there, also check Device Manager to ensure no hardware issues show.

Has this always happened or is it a recent thing?

You could turn off the option to 'Automatically Restart on 'System failure' to see if it is a BSOD which may show a clue (right-click My Computer>Properties>Advanced then click the 'Advanced' button from 'Startup and Recovery' and remove tick).

Is your PC overclocked?

Is temperature ok?

very slightly and CPU temp is 50 under load so nothing at all.

I have played GTA:SA for hours at a time with no probs.

I have turned off restart on blue screen and will see what the badger says :D

all other processes closed, graphics drivers changed and still same result.

just a blue screen with no info on and sound freezes. :( looks like im going to have to give up and just test the next version.

Could I test 1.0?

Hmmm :? OK try a few things here. Plucking at straws I know but....:

- Run DXDIAG.exe and see if any concerns are highlighted

- DirectX up to date i.e. 9.0c?

- Are sound card drivers up to date?

- Run a disk check on all hard disks select "Automatically fix file system errors" (reboot will be required on C drive)

Any better? Can you think of any pattern that links these random crashes?

hmmm, its a long shot but it seems to be when an explosion occurs!

Could it be the sound that is screwing it? ie trys to load the sound file and barfs?

Could well be... but ATI graphics drivers are notorius for causing issues (particularyl if they have been updated (XP file protection can cause issues)).

Here's a question then; Does it only crash when you can SEE the explosion? Or just hear it? Assuming we are suspecting the explosions lol (this sounds mad :D)

;o

Definitly turn off the restart on system failure.

If your system is overclocked, watch your temps, and make sure your sensor is on the headsink good. Advantage of having a heatsink with fins (like mine :P) is that you can stick the sensor deep into the fins, right next to the core.

50C is your heatsink temp, or core temp? I'm hoping CORE. Because if thats your heatsink temp.. you need to cool that thang off some more. :?

If you stick your heatsink sensor right near the core, you dont get true heatsink temp :shock:

I'm Assuming core temp - Athlons run hotter than Intel - 50c is ok under load... heatsink temps depend on heatsink and sensor location.

Overclocked 'slightly' which I took as being the manufacturer default e.g. 203Mhz bus speed is default on most MSI boards that are advertised as 200Mhz (<2%)

If it's any more than this then set to advertised speed and see if any difference.

And as erorr404 said...

Preferably in a server though.

Best of luck

FSB at 175mhz as a7n8x rev1 do not reach 200mhz :shock:

no probs at all in anything else and yes 50c is core

Barrels have no effect at all on map, even played for a good 20 mins online tonight before it barfed at no particular point :(

I have 3 computers at home, a powerful one, 3Ghz which I use to play MTA, and the rest are weaker computers, when I play on the weaker computers, the same problems happen. It happens on all games that make the computer struggle.

Im not sure about your computer, but it seems powerful enough to play MTA. Maybe you should try lowering the graphics and especially the resolution, because usaully a higher resolution increases the chance of this on my weaker computers.

I think it may be that the CPU or the GFX cannot keep up with the system, causing it to be unstable. Just try lowering graphics and see if it works.

:big15:

reduced the sound acceleration and also set it to 1024x768 no anti aliasing and all is WELL.

Not sure which of these options did the trick but I have worked out where it fooked up.

It was when it went to load the next part of the map, sometimes you will see a little pause. Mine wasnt getting past this pause but it is now :)

it

I will crank up the sound again tonight and if alls well then its just my rig thats not up to it.

Thanks one and all.