Spectator mode is critical

I tried the 1.1 release yesterday and I have got mixed feelings about it. Much has improved, and the new functions adds a great deal to the game. There is one thing that needs to be fixed urgently though. We need some kind of spectator mode, or a command like "Spectate". As an admin I'm in for a hard time because I can't spectate the players like I used to. Now I just respawn.

I know that you can disable respawning on the maps, but it's a nice feature and I want to keep it. All I need is a command like /spectate. I think that many share my view on this, at least on the servers that I have played on.

Keep up the good work, because it is good! :wink:

Edited by Guest
Or maybe when your respawn countdown drops to 0 is then says "Press R to Respawn", which disappears after 5 seconds
Haha, I was just going to suggest that, and I think that is better too.

But I think 5 seconds seems a little harsh, I'd say make it 10 seconds or something, but that's not a big deal. All I care about is that this issue will be addressed as soon as possible. Hopefully it's not that difficult to add this function to the code.

• 5 weeks later...

Petition signed.

Yay we need a spectate mode, pressing a button to respawn whould be nice too, but please dont write a message like "please press "r" to respawn" in the middle of the screen. I want to make a video and need to spectate other people then it would be so bad if a message pops up.

Petition signed.

Yay we need a spectate mode, pressing a button to respawn whould be nice too, but please dont write a message like "please press "r" to respawn" in the middle of the screen. I want to make a video and need to spectate other people then it would be so bad if a message pops up.

read some posts above this one
I meant the message goes after 5 seconds. So if you're sitting there eating and spectating you don't have the message up all the time. Especially annoying if you were spectating to vid-cap

free camera mode is popular in other games, and it's allready used in the map editor. would it be hard syncing to get it that way? so you can switch on the fly with following player and pressing arrows to choose between players, and free cam mode, controlling it with wsad