Ingame Race Problem

It's strange but since I got the windows update drivers instead of the ATI website ones, my graphics control panel seems to have completely disappeared

This is because the WHQL drivers dont come bumdled with the Cataylst Control Center. Maybe try the very latest drivers from the ATI website which does inclide it. If anything, it's another driver to try to see if problems follow...

start-->run-->dxdiag and in the display tab you can disable directdraw... not recommended tough.

Run this anway and check all the tabs - if there are any problems that DirectX finds, they will show somewhere here.

Hmmm.... tricky one this, so far :D

How do I check the event log?

Right-click "My Computer", select "Manage" then expand the "Event Viewer". You want to be looking in "Application" and "System" for anything, particularly around the time when you started to get these issues. If you are getting problems in other games aswell, then I would expect something to show in the "System" log - but I wont be suprised if we don't get any clues from there.... Non Microsoft products dont always ustilise the event log as well as we sometimes need.

I've had a few issues in the past (strange behaviour in games or game crashing are the symptoms) this is where ATI drivers dont uninstall properly so I have had to use a tool to force removal AND stop Windows File Protection restoring older files that conflicy with the rest of the driver bundle. This tool is called Driver Cleaner Pro - but you have to ensure all the files are removed (especially from the .CAB files) to ensure that you get a clean install of your latest/current driver. It's just another thing to try if you want to give it a go http://www.drivercleaner.net

Ok, I got recomended a program called System Mechanic. It analyses your system and finds out and solves exactly what is going wrong. It's split up into different sections (Clutter, Speed, Security, Fitness etc etc). After using the program to it's fullest potential, everything seemed fixed. The game was running like a dream.

However, after ONE race, it seemed to revert back to normal and lag like hell. I checked System Mechanic and it showed Speed back as 'Poor'. It said that a process at windows startup was causing considerable performance loss. It said this before, but I had already removed it.. so somehow that one process at start-up made its way back.

And I have a feeling that this one process is whats causing the lag. I'll try removing it again, but it'll probably come back. I'll have to try and figure out which process it is and somehow block it from ever returning.

><

Ok, when the game lags, my hard disk light seems to flash all the time.

I Visited the Intel website and found a lot of confusing downloads, I'm really not sure what I should be getting.

Lastly, how do I check the CPU/Mainboard and Graphics Temperatures?

Thanks

However, after ONE race, it seemed to revert back to normal and lag like hell. I checked System Mechanic and it showed Speed back as 'Poor'. It said that a process at windows startup was causing considerable performance loss

So after that one race, you rebooted yes?

If so its sounds as though the application that is starting up is not liking the way you are disabling it. For example, if you are forcing the removal of the startup via some utility like System Mechanic (or MSCONFIG) then it could be that the application is putting itself back in on reboot - 'cos it's clever/a pain! MSN Messenger does this...

Use the options within the actual application to stop it from starting up instead, if you can. Otherwise supply the name of the application here so we can help further. It sounds as though it's a pretty heavy app if it's cuasing these issues on your spec PC, particularly with your following statement:

Ok, when the game lags, my hard disk light seems to flash all the time.

Athough it's not looking like a temperature issue now, FYI the temperatures can be found several ways: Mainboard and CPU temps can found in the BIOS or if the motherboard CD-ROM has a utility to monitor them, you can install it in Windows (but hardly worth it if system is not suffering temp issues). Your ATI Graphics card temp can be found in the Cataylst Control Centre ATI Overdrive Settings although not all ATI cards may have temperature monitoring....

lol, sorry but I thought you had this sorted. From your original post:

-Sorted out all Unnecessary Processes

he he Sounds like we're getting there tho.... :D

Heh, I think I was wrong about that dodgy process at start up that was causing all the lag. I removed it again using System Mechanic and it hasn't returned. But the lags still there.

I'm going to format my system and keep it as healthy as I can, which will be a lot easier now with mechanic. I think I've had a virus or something in the past which has screwed up something in windows. I've obviously got rid of the virus now, but most likely whatever it screwed up is un-repairable.

System Mechanic also told me that there are Errors in my Hard Drive.

So i'm just backing stuff up onto my last DVDs now, then i'll be formatting..

--

I checked the temperatures anyway:

CPU TEMPERATURE: 79*c/174*F

CPU Fan Speed: 2315RPM (Approx, it was moving about a bit.)

SYSTEM Fan Speed: 1660RPM (Constantly)

I couldn't check the ATI cards temp, the Overdrive Settings part of Catalyst CC was nowhere to be found!

Lol Jakk, if only you mentioned that before. he he you gave a pretty overall picture that your system was clean... and I got told off once for mentioning viruses to another forum user so I didn't ask too many questions and took your word as gospel :D

Anways, that along with your temp which is pretty high (CPU's slow down as they get too high (a P4 can run wihtout a heatsink - but runs like a dog)) so yes, clean those fans/vents and a clean install should do you fine with your spec. If anything, you have probably learnt a few tips how to diagnose and fix possible issues in the future.

Best of luck with your clean rebuild anyway. Wear some sort of mask so you dont' breathe in all that dust! ;)

EDIT: BTW, I use Norton Ghost to make a full image backup of my C Drive just after an install of Windows, all my apps and settings. This saves a lot of time and allows me to test all sorts of junk and not panic when I have issues. Simply restore back to clean build when needed. :D

I have exactly the same problem as you Jakk, I think it comes from the updating of car positions, im not familiar with the MTA netcode but there is defineitly some kind of bottleneck happening with the updating of other cars, I have done loads of tests to see what is causing it and it is 100% NOT an external program or settings.

This is what seems to be happening, or so it seems.

When the races start there are lots of cars, so I assume there is alot of information being sent to your computer, now for some reason instead of processing the packets efficiently, it just seems to bottleneck and then it discards the clogged information all together, thus giving you the jumping and jerkyness (is that a word ? :D ). I am not 100% sure why this happens as it doesn't happen with any other application.

I will look into it further.

Oh btw, Jakk is your computer a compaq?? not that I could begin to say why if we both own compaqs it lags, but its worth a shot.

EDIT: I have done some more tests and its definetly a bottleneck, it also happens when you drive for a few seconds with no cars around, but more so with other cars present.

No, there's not any increased hard drive activity when it lags, though when I watch my broadband box it pulses just before it lags then goes back to normal.

Ive tried adjusting all my internet settings but cant seem to get any improvement?

Its really strange why it only affects a very small minority, there must be a common link between them all, just got to find out what.

you can improve your internet connection if you run on xp pro.

windows takes some bandwith for itself for unnessesary things... to disable this:

start-->run-->gpedit.msc
computer configuration-->administrative templates-->QoS packet sceduler
and set Limit reservable bandwith to 0

• 6 months later...