Ingame Race Problem

Ok, I've tried everything I can to improve this without success, so I thought I would try asking here.

When I start all races, all other players zoom way off ahead of me straight away which pushes me back to around position 16. I'm left slowly moving ahead, where as everyone else seems to be jumping ahead of me in speed.

This seems to happen in every type of race, on every server. I've also noticed that if I happen to catch up to another player, they seem to move a lot faster than me.

I figured it was a fault my end, something inducing lag. Following this I have:

-Scanned for Spyware

-Scanned for Virus

-Defragmented my Drive

-Changed both Firewall and Anti-Virus to a less system-consuming product

-Lowered GTASA video settings

-Changed my Graphics Cards settings to Performance

-Sorted out all Unnecessary Processes

Yet the same problem remains. My computer is surely good enough to run the game flawlessly:

3.4Ghz Pentium 4 Processor

1.5GB of RAM

2MB Broadband

ATI Radeon 9800 Video Card

My Ping is usually very low on most servers, around 24 most of the time.

Please help, I really enjoy this game, but most of the fun is gone since I always have a 99% chance of losing every game :(

Thanks in Advance

time for some little windows tweaking then :wink:

kill as much processes as possible (ctrl+alt+delete and shut down explorer, and some other processes wich aren't of any need) with the explorer shut down. you don't have the windows interface anymore. but just use "new task" and browse to the mta executable.

or try defragmentation. or updating your drivers.

and if you have over 256mb of ram you could allso disable the paging executive and enable the largesystemcache.

go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management in you register (start-->run-->regedit) and set both DisablePagingExecutive and LargeSystemCache to 1

you could allso disable some services (start-->run-->services.msc) like the themes service. if you disable it, you save memory and use the classic windows style.

time for some little windows tweaking then Wink

kill as much processes as possible (ctrl+alt+delete and shut down explorer, and some other processes wich aren't of any need) with the explorer shut down. you don't have the windows interface anymore. but just use "new task" and browse to the mta executable.

or try defragmentation. or updating your drivers.

and if you have over 256mb of ram you could allso disable the paging executive and enable the largesystemcache.

Code:

go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management in you register (start-->run-->regedit) and set both DisablePagingExecutive and LargeSystemCache to 1

you could allso disable some services (start-->run-->services.msc) like the themes service. if you disable it, you save memory and use the classic windows style.

Done all that, still getting same outcome. Although I think the regedit might have improved lag slightly.

Download fraps and tell us what framerate you're getting. With a system like that you shouldn't have any fps issues.

Alright, At start of race when everyone zooms off its around 5-8. During the rest of the race when there aren't too many players on the screen, its around 15-18. Jumped up to 20 when I went through a tunnel.

This is all the information about my ATI drivers:

Driver Packaging Version 8.203-051211a-029124C-ATI

CATALYST® Version 05.13

Provider ATI Technologies Inc.

2D Driver Version 6.14.10.6587

2D Driver File Path System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{0AF3B75F-24F2-415A-8546-F196ECCACBA3}\0000

Direct3D Version 6.14.10.0362

OpenGL Version 6.14.10.5525

CATALYST® Control Center Version 1.2.2172.2074

AIW/VIVO WDM Driver Version 6.14.10.6238

AIW/VIVO WDM SP Driver Version 6.14.10.6238

The game works perfect in single player mode, never any lag and it's been happening for a couple of weeks now.

I've taken a quick video of what happens at the start of the races - the most effected area. It moves a bit slow, but not as slow as the video shows. Just fraps slowed it down a bit. Also the video settings are medium here, as i've said I've tried it on minimal settings and it makes no difference. Just hurts my eyes :P

http://media.putfile.com/HmmLag

Ok, drivers updated according to windows update.

Driver Provider: ATI Technologies Inc.

Driver Date: 22/02/2005

Driver Version: 6.14.10.6517

Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

Sorry, didn't see the second post.

How do I check the event log?

Also I've been playing a few other games and getting lag again.. Although MTASA is the most effected game, there really must be something wrong with my computer.

Like error404 said, I really shouldn't be having these problems with my system, and after carrying out all the steps I have done it should be fine but isn't.. There must be something going wrong somewhere, I just can't figure it out. I don't want to have to format my computer again.. It's getting tiring having to format every few months because something goes wrong.

So please, all the help I have received has been great, I appreciate it so much. If you guys could help me figure out this problem I would be SO Grateful!

Sorry for the double-post.

How many people were playing when you were getting the framerate you reported on the first page? If there were 20+ people at start, then getting low fps is expected. You never see this many vehicles on screen in single player so that may be the cause. But 5-8 fps does seem a little extreme.

You may have already done this, but just to be sure,

- did you check if AA or AF isn't being forced on the game from your video card control panel?

- what is your game resolution and did you try lowering it?

- did you try playing on a server by yourself or with very few people?

Yes, the lag only occurs when there are a few people near me/ on my screen. It all works ok when I am on my on, just jolts every now and then. However, all the ones that zoom off have the same amount of people on the screen, so any lag I am getting must be much more severe than theres.

I've tried many times on lower resolution, and it makes very little difference for some reason.

Sorry, I don't know what AA or AF is, or how to check it :(

Yes, the lag only occurs when there are a few people near me/ on my screen. It all works ok when I am on my on, just jolts every now and then. However, all the ones that zoom off have the same amount of people on the screen, so any lag I am getting must be much more severe than theres.

True, it does seem extreme like I said, but at least we know when it happens now.

Sorry, I don't know what AA or AF is, or how to check it :(

Anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, smoothes out edges and makes distant textures sharper. Both can take a large toll on performance. I know my nVidia control panel (Properties > Settings > Advanced) has it, I'm pretty sure ATI does too. Look around in there and make sure it's off/disabled.

It's strange but since I got the windows update drivers instead of the ATI website ones, my graphics control panel seems to have completely disappeared :shock:

Edit: Uninstalled the drivers and installed the orginal ones with CD, came with the ATI control center. Updated drivers. Checking the the AA and AF thing now