I have this great idea for the map editor!!!

If only MTASA team could make this work. Ok, imagine an escalator with explosive barrels going to the top and falling on people. You could make a bunch of escalators and put them at the ceiling of a stadium and people would have to dodge them at the bottom, sort of like a bomb field. It would be fun because you wouldn't know where the barrels are falling from. So if MTASA could make objects that are moveable to be available to move on the escalators that would be great. I also figured out (duh) that escalators can carry cars, maybe make an object with car abilities.

nice idea, I was thinking about something the same a time ago, but without the escalators, just spawning them in the air. but there has to be object gravity to get this to work, would be some nice addon to the editor, in the property's menu, you could set their gravity (lol and a negative value for rising objects :D )

First of all, I don't even think you can try to push explosive barrels, and if you can it probably would take some work-around to get it working.

The way I see it, there are at least 2 different types of physics enabled objects. First is the type that you can only hit once, and the other is objects you can keep hitting and still get them to move.

Now, the problem is that without having something that pushes the barrels (or whatever), the objects won't start moving. Most objects have some sort of force of impact threshold for moving/breaking. And without that impact a physics enabled object won't start moving.

There might be some way for this to work tho, since the steps on the escalator move. And if you would place a barrel close enough to the top of it, then a step would hit it. Making it drop, or explode which is the more plausible scenario.

One thing is for sure though, I think this wouldn't be a priority for the devs for quite a while. And there are still alot of things they can work on for the map editor.

Oh, and another thing: I made a map called Somebody Up There DD with a similar concept. Where half the players drop dumpsters onto the other half of the players below, who were placed on haybreaks. Works quite well, if you know what to do...

In my experience with the physics-enabled objects they remain stationary until a force acts on them, and then they will be affected by gravity. The only way of making the objects fall that I found was to have a player dedicated to pushing the objects. So that map described by nightmare6969 could be done with players at the top pushing explosive barrels down on those in the arena below (though they unfortunately do not explode on contact with the ground). I remember playing a really terrible bumper cars map with RC Bandits and explosive barrels. It took near full speed on the RC Bandit to cause the barrels to explode, and with anything less than that you could push them around safely.

So with this knowledge one could come to the conclusion that a map like that would best work with RC Bandits pushing explosive barrels on those below. Well as it so happens I created this map weeks ago. :twisted: Check out Bandit Bombardment at http://center.mtasa.com/?p=race&r=2410.

I also made Explosive Avalanche, which consists of a Dozer knocking large numbers of explosive barrels down on those racing below in a perfectly safe way. The dozer pushes yellow barrels which roll into explosive barrels which then fall below. http://center.mtasa.com/?p=race&r=2548

Unfortunately MTA:SA doesn't sync the status of objects and in these maps you will often see players drive straight through fallen or rolling barrels unscathed.

Edit: Things were looking jumbled so I added some spacing.

In my experience with the physics-enabled objects they remain stationary until a force acts on them, and then they will be affected by gravity. The only way of making the objects fall that I found was to have a player dedicated to pushing the objects. So that map described by nightmare6969 could be done with players at the top pushing explosive barrels down on those in the arena below (though they unfortunately do not explode on contact with the ground). I remember playing a really terrible bumper cars map with RC Bandits and explosive barrels. It took near full speed on the RC Bandit to cause the barrels to explode, and with anything less than that you could push them around safely.

So with this knowledge one could come to the conclusion that a map like that would best work with RC Bandits pushing explosive barrels on those below. Well as it so happens I created this map weeks ago. :twisted: Check out Bandit Bombardment at http://center.mtasa.com/?p=race&r=2410.

I also made Explosive Avalanche, which consists of a Dozer knocking large numbers of explosive barrels down on those racing below in a perfectly safe way. The dozer pushes yellow barrels which roll into explosive barrels which then fall below. http://center.mtasa.com/?p=race&r=2548

Unfortunately MTA:SA doesn't sync the status of objects and in these maps you will often see players drive straight through fallen or rolling barrels unscathed.

Edit: Things were looking jumbled so I added some spacing.

It's ok but things are always better when they are automated.

MTA TEAM PLEASE ADD SYNC TO THE ESCALATORS SO THEY CAN PICK UP BARRELLS AND EXPLODE WHEN THEY HIT THE GROUND!

'synchronising' the escalators wouldn't provide what you want, that would merely ensure each step was in the same position for each player, useless waste of bandwidth. If anything you'd need the barrels synchronised.