mouse not working in game (now fixed)

My old thrread about this died so i'll ask again,

My cheap logitech laser mouse doesn't work in MTA, it stopped working in GTA a few months ago after i reformatted but i was able to fix it by putting GTA in compatability mode but then MTA doesn't work so i need another way of fixing it.

Alt-Tab does not work!!!

any other way to make my mouse work?

in game it does nothing at all. in the menus for mta it works fine though.

In gta (during a game) it does nothing at all and in the menus it moves but doesn't click on anything (alt-tabbing works for gta menus but not during the game).

how do i make my mouse work in MTA??? Its really annoying for tanks etc. but when deathmatch comes out it will be even worse!!!

Edited by Guest
  • 2 weeks later...

my mouse is quite good, its a basic 3 button with scroll from logitech.

what i mean is that my mouse doesn't work in game, at all! the menu works but making the veiw turn or aiming the tanks turrets does absuloutly nothing (even after alt-tabbing or pressing escape).

i can solve this issue in normal gta by changing compatibility to 98/me, however mta does not work in compatability mode so i have to find another fix.

i never had this problem before i reformatted my pc, it appered afterwards.

I have tried reinstalling gta but it still doesn't work.

i have tried multiple logitech drivers, i am currently useing 9.79.0.0

i hope that makes the problem easier to understand.

Looks like you'll have to get a better mouse. MTA disabled alt-tab in the game on purpose, maybe they'll allow it in DM though.

edit: just saw your second post. Do you have any other mice you can plug in to see if it still happens?

Hi Finn, I remember your original post http://forum.mtavc.com/viewtopic.php?t=15662

Seeing as this is quite a difficult issue to resolve, can we check/try a couple of things?

1) Start>Run>dxdiag and go to the Input tab. Any problems listed?

2)

a) Start Windows in Safe Mode

b) Go to Device Manager and remove ALL mice (whether or not more than one shows)

c) Unplug the mouse and use keyboard to restart your PC

d) After Windows has loaded to desktop, plug in your mouse

Any difference?

Couple of other things to ask of you so we get more of the picture...

- Apart from having to run GTA single player in compatibility mode, is there any other wierd behaviour with your mouse in other apps or Windows generally?

- When you reformatted/re-installed, did you do a fresh install of GTASA and MTASA?

- I know it's a basic mouse, but are you using any special utilties for it or changed any default settings in Control Panel>Mouse?

Cheers

1. it found no problems

2. tried, it had no effect :(

- my LMB is a bit flaky, but i don't think that means much... anyway, it didn't work with my rollerball either so that cant be the problem.

- i did a fresh install of gta

- im not using any special utilities.

just tried reinstalling GTA again, didn't work.

looks like ill have to get another mouse... :( im too poor.

EDIT: The fact that this topic has caused the 'MTA:SA Client problems' forum to reach page 2 on google when searching for 'gta mouse problems' makes me think its not that common, although it definatly happens because i found a fix for it before (the changing compatibility to 98/me thing).

do cheap lasermouses from logitech exist???

(proud owner of a MX1000 myself)

so you've allready tried drivers. allso configured the game tab?

allready checked your mouse settings in the controll panel?

and make sure your videocard hardware accelleration is at max (yes even that makes sence) VGA accell can be found under Display Properties-->Settings-->Advanced-->Troubleshoot.

looks like ill have to get another mouse

Well it's worth a try... And maybe this also...

- whilst in game when the symptoms show, unplug your mouse. Then plug it in again

- In your BIOS, look for a setting that controls USB or USB Mouse; it should have choice of BIOS or OS. Change to other one. (Mine's Award Bios USB Mouse Support via: BIOS or OS)

Page 2 on Google result only makes me more determined to understand this one ;)

Did the forum that you found the fix for mention anything that could lead to the cause? They must have had some idea in order to suggest compatibility mode for this particular issue...

ive yet to try the two ideas but the forum i found it on no-one had any idea, then one guy said he found the fix on another forum, he didn't say where and i cant remember where i found it, i think it might have been the official gta forum. ill edit once ive tried the ideas.

EDIT: tried disconnecting and reconnecting the mouse in-game, it didn't work.

I don't use my bios much so i didn't really understand which option i should pick, there was only one submenu that seemed probable, this was 'Intergrated devices (Legacyselect options)' which i opened, there were 3 options in there that had something to do with the mouse or usb ports, which is it?

mouse port: (on/off) default is on

USB emulation: (on/no boot/off) default is on

USB contoller: (on/off) default is on

there were 2 options about the ps/2 being on and which serial port to use.

thanks, but it doesn't work for me, it seems that some people get a very similar problem to me but ive only found 2 others on the internet who have had the same bug as me and they were 9 months ago.

BTW is it possible that it used to work because i had GTA3 and VC installed before SA but this time i haven't installed them? could that cause it?

I don't see how. SA is standalone not an expansion of any kind and it uses the mouse quite differently to the previous episodes (free view, water/cannon aim, even mouse steering)

The people you found with the same issue previously, did they also have logitech mice?

I have an idea.... Reinstall windows. That is don't reinstall it OVER the old installation - COMPLETELY remove the old install and then reinstall.

For that, you might find a windows 98 boot floppy useful (keep in mind that if you have NTFS, you'll have to find ntfs drivers for dos, or get them from me).

Ive only just reformatted my pc!!!

You really think ill have to do it again?

and i cant help feeling that if it didn't work this time, its not going to work next time.

i think it might be something that dell installed on my pc when i first got it and just haven't worked out what it might be, any ideas?

EDIT: OMG!!!!! I turned off advnced text services in compatability and it suddenly worked!!!!! you dont need advanced text services for mta do you?

look at my edit above. :D

After testing i found that the mouse works in MTA aswell, this problem has been officialy fixed,

just incase anyone else has this problem...

right click on your shortcut to GTA and select properties, then chose the tab 'compatability' and check the box next to 'turn off advanced text services'.

oh, ive found a new bug...... ahh forget it :lol:

• Confused 1
just incase anyone else has this problem...

right click on your shortcut to GTA and select properties, then chose the tab 'compatability' and check the box next to 'turn off advanced text services'.

Nice one Finn, but this isn't enabled by default. If you had a CLEAN install then surely this problem wouldn't have occured, right?

EDIT:

Formatting isn't that good

It's not the best way to make a COMPLETELY clean install, no. If you were needing that you would use FDISK from Win98 CD/floppy to remove the partition THEN reboot, use FDISK /MBR to clear the Master Boot Record. Then install OS with the install CD from boot, which will create a new partition. But this is all besides the point really :D

Edited by Guest

it is enabled for me, im one of those lucky people who has a voice that windows understands, so i use voice recognition in word, thus advanced text services is on for me.

the install was clean a few weeks ago....

oh and catzilla, reformatting is the best reinstall you can do, the only thing not erased is the bios.