Mods for MTA

Blingu

As I've been playing MTA and SAMP for some time now I've noticed that some people don't want to switch over to MTA due to the lack of possibility to install mods on MTA (mostly .asi/.dll).
Eventhough I know how MTA is more advanced and richer in features than SAMP, it's just silly we can't have mods like Widescreen Fix or SkyGFX on MTA.

I once made a suggestion to allow mods like these, but this is how it ended:
- I got told to post the widescreen issue on Github. I did so one year ago and it was added to the backlog, since then nothing happened. (https://github.com/multitheftauto/mtasa-blue/issues/848)
- Some people told that these features can be scripted, but in reality if you're a generic player and you'll ask a server owner to add them, he will most likely be not bothered by it, as people are more busy with adding some GTA 6 next-gen GUI to this 16 year old game.

I'm aware of the cheating possibilities that may possibly occur by letting players install .dll/.asi mods, so for this reason I've come up with an idea.
The best known mods such as Widescreen Fix, SkyGFX, Project 2DFX, etc. that have no influence on the actual gameplay, hence not giving you any advantages online, should be added to the MTA client as addons, that you can activate in the menu and configure.
This being said MTA developers should pick safe open source mods, and if their usage has no harmful intention, why not including them as an addon.

I've been working on a "widescreen fix" resource for a while now.. most of the things are functional now but there are things need to be done also, the HUD positioning needs more care.. scrolling weapons, ammo, time, health, armor, money, radar rotation, radar player icon and a lot of other things are ready.. once it gets into a great shape I'll just release it to public.. also the "HUD" is currently on github (radar version is WIP) https://github.com/Haxardous/mtasa-remastered-hud

I know that you need a "client" version instead of just a resource from the community but, if someone could bring a great/decent/brilliant look & performance wise then we can just request the MTA Team to bring it into the default resources (resources that getting preinstalled with the server files)

nuA2wPh.png

Edited by Haxardous
6 hours ago, Haxardous said:

I know that you need a "client" version instead of just a resource from the community but, if someone could bring a great/decent/brilliant look & performance wise then we can just request the MTA Team to bring it into the default resources (resources that getting preinstalled with the server files)

This is what I'm talking about, and mods like Widescreen Fix and SkyGFX are open source and available to use, so it shouldn't be a problem to port it over because there is already working code.

Yes, I agree that the widescreen fix should be in MTA. I've milestoned your issue as 1.6 — this doesn't necessarily mean it WILL come in 1.6, just means that it forces someone to look at it sooner rather than basically never.

For other fixes you should file separate issues.

But stuff like SkyGFX will 99% not be accepted because it's more than just a bug fix 

Tbh is a big let down for a lot of RP users that are coming to MTA. Most of them are familiar with .asi and mods and have a lot of them in their game. The most popular it seems is modloader so they don't have to edit their gta3.img and replace the original files. It would be nice if on 1.6 it could be possible to let the servers decide fully if they will allow asi modifications or not. I know this isn't feasible or even necesary, specially bcuz the anticheat could be compromised with this, but it would be a nice thing to think about. Even better it would be to just accept certain .asi modifications based on their hash, but yeah.

Maybe we could get a modloader type thing on native MTA? who knows

18 hours ago, qaisjp said:

Yes, I agree that the widescreen fix should be in MTA. I've milestoned your issue as 1.6 — this doesn't necessarily mean it WILL come in 1.6, just means that it forces someone to look at it sooner rather than basically never.

For other fixes you should file separate issues.

But stuff like SkyGFX will 99% not be accepted because it's more than just a bug fix 

This is why I suggested making addons for MTA, that will be included to the MTA project and possible to download by players. Mods like these are open source and you can control the source code entirely, the only thing that a player can change is whether he wants to use PS2/PC/Xbox shading and anything like this.

Imagine it a tab called addons in the MTA menu, where you can install some addons provided by MTA.

Hmmm. Theoretically we could do this -- and allow the server to choose whether or not to enable addons.

I'm not sure how to feel about it, but I'm not entirely averse.

I recommend you to post a GitHub issue with your addon suggestion so that you can get more feedback