[Help] Character system

iwalidza

Dear iwalidza,

since I have helped you do the login system with MySQL I think you did get some experience with it. Let's discuss the design aspects of a character system.

I think you want to have two tables: one table for the character itself and a second for items that belong to the character. The first table should store accountName, skinID, character_id, currentHealth, currentArmor, maxHealth, money, last_x, last_y, last_z and last_rotation. Thus we could have this code:

server.Lua

local function restore_character(player, char_id)
  local account = getPlayerAccount(player);

if not (account) then return false, "player has no account"; end;

local accountName = getAccountName(account);

if not (accountName) then return false, "no account name"; end;

local query = dbQuery(db_conn, "SELECT * FROM characters WHERE accountName='?' AND character_id='?'", accountName, char_id);

if not (query) then return false, "player character does not exist"; end;

local results = dbPoll(query, -1);

dbFree(query);

local char_res = results[1];

-- Restore the character.
  setElementModel(player, tonumber(char_res.skinID));
  setElementHealth(player, tonumber(char_res.currentHealth));
  setPedArmor(player, tonumber(char_res.currentArmor));
  setElementPosition(player, tonumber(char_res.last_x), tonumber(char_res.last_y), tonumber(char_res.last_z));
  setPedRotation(player, tonumber(char_res.last_rotation));
  setPlayerMoney(player, tonumber(char_res.money));
  return true;
end

local function get_player_characters(player)
  local account = getPlayerAccount(player);

if not (account) then return false, "no player account"; end;

local accountName = getPlayerAccount(account);

if not (accountName) then return false, "no account name"; end;

local query = dbQuery(db_conn, "SELECT character_id, skinID FROM characters WHERE accountName='?'", accountName);

if not (query) then return false, "query failed"; end;

local results = dbPoll(query, -1);

if not (results) then return false, "polling query results has failed"; end;

return results;
end

I think the saving code is a good exercise. :) 

Edited by The_GTA
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, iwalidza said:

@The_GTA You didn't understand what I meant
i need somthing like this

It looks like this character system does use many smooth camera transitions. For that you will have to use the MTA camera functions:

I think you can figure out the character data into that MySQL table out yourself. Seems pretty straightforward, like character ID, name and language.

Design-wise I recommend creating a scene for the character selection. You see that those characters are placed on tree-stumps. Think of something creative yourself, select a position on the map to put it and script the characters and the camera to be placed there. You may even want to play around with the MTA map editor.

• createObject - for creating background props at the character selection screen

The DX overlay seems pretty basic. You should know about DX functions since we have recently talked about UI creation for an inventory system.

• getScreenFromWorldPosition - to get the position to draw DX at on the screen for attached-to-players overlay
  • getPedBonePosition - you may want to get the position of the player head to draw the name at like in the video
  • dxDrawLine3D - used for item placement highlight in the video

At certain parts in the video (10:38) you see a message queue pop up above the player's head. Looks like a list of string messages that gets removed after a some timer has passed. I recommend writing a queue system yourself where you store the beginning time of each message and remove the items whose elapsedTime has reached 3 seconds during a server-side setTimer loop. You may want these functions:

I am curious. What kind of help are you expecting? You know that this is a lot of work, right? :P 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, The_GTA said:

It looks like this character system does use many smooth camera transitions. For that you will have to use the MTA camera functions:

I think you can figure out the character data into that MySQL table out yourself. Seems pretty straightforward, like character ID, name and language.

Design-wise I recommend creating a scene for the character selection. You see that those characters are placed on tree-stumps. Think of something creative yourself, select a position on the map to put it and script the characters and the camera to be placed there. You may even want to play around with the MTA map editor.

• createObject - for creating background props at the character selection screen

The DX overlay seems pretty basic. You should know about DX functions since we have recently talked about UI creation for an inventory system.

• getScreenFromWorldPosition - to get the position to draw DX at on the screen for attached-to-players overlay
  • getPedBonePosition - you may want to get the position of the player head to draw the name at like in the video
  • dxDrawLine3D - used for item placement highlight in the video

At certain parts in the video (10:38) you see a message queue pop up above the player's head. Looks like a list of string messages that gets removed after a some timer has passed. I recommend writing a queue system yourself where you store the beginning time of each message and remove the items whose elapsedTime has reached 3 seconds during a server-side setTimer loop. You may want these functions:

I am curious. What kind of help are you expecting? You know that this is a lot of work, right? :P 

The type of help I expect is like yours
It teaches me the benefits of the various functions that help me to develop
I repeat this thank you very much

but with mysql charactar names sort how i can do that and get the character states

@The_GTA

• Like 1