Skip adding features - Fix the Network Code!

We ran GTA3MTA 0.3 yesturday at our LAN party. The game ran smooth and I could see everyone including someone that joined off the internet moving around smoothly. I noticed one thing though - ingame latency is terrible. It ran smoothly but people's actions were delayed by a good 3 seconds by just looking at the computer next to me and seeing when i moved, I showed up moving on his screen anywhere from 2 seconds to 4 seconds later.

You *really* need to overhaul the network code before advancing into ANY features or game options. If your network code sucks, how can a *multiplayer* mod ever work right? I'm sure a lot of problems would be fixed if the network code was streamlined and worked with low latency (50ms or less and not 400ms or less).

Running on a 100mbit Switch (full-duplex). Two Pentium 4 2ghz machines with Windows 2000 service pack 3 and the latest updates with one machine having a radeon 8500 and mine has a 9700. GTA3 version 1.1 and have the nocd crack with the cd on the hard drive. I don't think it is our hardware, it is the gta3mta software network code. Anyone else agree? Fix the network code before adding anything?

yup. mos def. this really needs sorting. i was expecting LAN to be better than the net games, but oh how wrong was i!!

i actually lag a little more than that, which makes for some reaaaly odd events.

eg:

Player A, rams into the side of Player B.

Due to lag, Player B has already moved out of the way on their screen...so does Player B get a colliosion or not? On Player A's screen they do, but not B's.

weird.

Exactly, as I said

I'm sure a lot of problems would be fixed if the network code was streamlined and worked with low latency (50ms or less and not 400ms or less).

which is what they need to do.

I do not know if they were making their mod purposely work on 56k with crappy latency or if their network code is really this awful. It needs to be fixed FIRST and FOREMOST! Of course all the mods and designers have not posted in this thread at all but I guess they picked up on this and 0.3.5 will supposidly fix the latency issues.