Budding mappers read - Races neded for SARL

Si|ent

The San Andreas Racing league needs some more custom races, we have several Straight racing road tracks and offroad, (pick your route carefully and mind that throttle) created already, However we currently require:

o Several 'Chaos' maps that feature the whackyer side of MTASA, car changes, ramps etc

o Straight racing maps, no health pickups or car changes. Minimal object placing (any placed must be realistic)

o Airborne maps, both race, mission and straight DM.

o Rallycross tracks featuring both tarmac and sand/grass/dirt traversing.

o We may consider boat races too, Ive yet to play an exciting or challenging one though so I remain sceptical

The only 'rules' for these maps are:

o No health pickups (except chaos maps, they can have anything you like) - Nitro is fine.

o Preferably 32 player starts (16 minimum at a push). PROPER ones though, choose a starting location where the cars can be single file and not a cluster that prevents the people in the second row from moving. 2 lines of 16 or 4 lines of 8 in different locations is perfectly acceptable providing all are around the same distance from the first checkpoint.

Feel free to make more than one version of your race, each featuring a different vehicle. Provided they handle differently enough to provide a unique challenge. (for example RingroadSARL has two versions, Admiral and Infernus. The track itself is identical)

Anyone interested in entering the league itself can do so here: http://forum.mtavc.com/viewtopic.php?t=14745

Edited by Guest

well... i could get the updated 10 lap hotring to ya with-out the pickup...?

The San Andreas Racing league needs some more custom races, we have several Straight racing road tracks and offroad, (pick your route carefully and mind that throttle) created already, However we currently require:

o Several 'Chaos' maps that feature the whackyer side of MTASA, car changes, ramps etc

o Straight racing maps, no health pickups or car changes. Minimal object placing (any placed must be realistic)

o Airborne maps, both race, mission and straight DM.

o Rallycross tracks featuring both tarmac and sand/grass/dirt traversing.

o We may consider boat races too, Ive yet to play an exciting or challenging one though so I remain sceptical

The only 'rules' for these maps are:

o No health pickups (except chaos maps, they can have anything you like) - Nitro is fine.

o Preferably 32 player starts (16 minimum at a push). PROPER ones though, choose a starting location where the cars can be single file and not a cluster that prevents the people in the second row from moving. 2 lines of 16 or 4 lines of 8 in different locations is perfectly acceptable providing all are around the same distance from the first checkpoint.

Feel free to make more than one version of your race, each featuring a different vehicle. Provided they handle differently enough to provide a unique challenge. (for example RingroadSARL has two versions, Admiral and Infernus. The track itself is identical)

Anyone interested in entering the league itself can do so here: http://forum.mtavc.com/viewtopic.php?t=14745

Except the OJ's. We put them there as chill out fun in between testing the custom maps, I doubt they will feature in the final lineup of competition maps though as they are too problematic to score :)

The rest are final play-tested and accepted maps (some, downloaded from center, have had health pickups removed and spawns fixed to qualify, otherwise they are entirely the original authors work)

Big thanks to RED UK for his contributions and fixing a problematic map so quickly. Two more in the works from me - facing final tweaks (half the testers found it too hard to finish (some couldnt even get 100 meters!. I won't name any names tho jani))

Get your maps in quick if you want them included.

half the testers found it too hard to finish (some couldnt even get 100 meters!. I won't name any names tho jani

LOL you fucker!

error404 - the thing with hydra's is it's easy to destroy the other racers or crash into each other and end up killing yourself and potentially other racers, and we want people racing not killing each other.

Some people are retarded and immature, and find it more fun to crash into other racers and kill them than to try and win the race.

Probably because they were deprived of oxygen at birth, dropped on the head as a baby or beaten by their parents, whatever.

I have been working on some maps and after last nights 'Meat' :P I have modded some of them to be tryed out for SARL. I'm also working on some more so any feedback would be helpfull :)

Maps are:

LVAP: Just a messaround (any thing goes) Round the track of Las Venturas airport, some loops and lots of Nitros. Plus car change every lap, (aprox 5 laps)

Chiliad: Nice round trip of Mt. Chiliad. Start in Quad on top of Mount Chiliad, Sanchez down the bike track, then round the side in a Messa / Freeway before coming back up Sanchez / Quad.

BeachsideVC: Up and down Los Santos beach Vice City style, added a repair because I blow up at the same boat jump every time. (can be removed :twisted: )

FishermanRally: Jexmax down the river, into Dinggy round the bends before U-Turn back up in Squal for finish. doesn't want to give too much away :wink:

LSSpeedway: Boost your way round the outside of Los Santos. (Has two repairs in stupid places) Has a curvey section to balance it out a bit.

NorthPass: Have sent this link before, (i think) but I have re-timed / re-placed the spawn points so the start is fair. Start off in Los Venturas before making a hasty exit round the roads and vallys to Octain Springs.

LS2SF: Work your way from Los Santos airport to San Fierro Country club. A good mix between a tight twisting course and wide open roads, Has a wee bit of 'offroading' in the middle.

http://center.mtasa.com/?p=race&r=1995 LVAP

http://center.mtasa.com/?p=race&r=1993 NorthPass

http://center.mtasa.com/?p=race&r=1992 LSSpeedway

http://center.mtasa.com/?p=race&r=1990 Chiliad

http://center.mtasa.com/?p=race&r=1988 FishermanRally

http://center.mtasa.com/?p=race&r=1986 BeachsideVC

http://center.mtasa.com/?p=race&r=1998 LS2SF

:oops: My bad :oops:

I've been thru all of them taken out repairs, except on LVAP with it being just for fun.

The problem with the boats was the ramp was taking off about 1/2 damage if hit full speed. I have changed the ramp to a non damaging object.

Anything else :?::lol:

To be strictly accurate all straight race maps must have no repairs, your maps have vehicle changes and would therefore be considered chaos maps, in which anything goes. Bear in mind these maps aren't as essential (nor popular) so only a few would feature in each SARL meet for varieties sake. (last night only featured one of this type)

I would like to submit something as well. I've done many maps so far, but finished only a few.

http://center.mtasa.com/?p=search&text=driver2

I think the San Fierro maps would meet the requirements for a straight race. I don't know if you also need something like the 'Desert Way'. It's a Sanchez race through the desert.

I just added 'Dust Slide', a race by Cheetah, that uses mainly tracks in the field or forest.

Thanks for the submissions guys, we just tested a bunch.

LS2SF: Very good, we will be using that one IF the spawn is fixed as described below.

North Pass: Bad initial spawns. (see below) Has a very badly placed first checkpoint, hard to find the route to it immidiately. It also features far too many user-created roadblocks along the route that aren't necessary, nobody would consider going up those roads so there's really no need to block them. Later on there are a few occasions of badly placed checkpoints too, for example when it turns off the north road onto the sand track theres such a large gap between the CP's its easy to misinterpret them and drive off the cliff! The route itself is good so if the issues above are addressed we'd have no problems using it.

LSSpeedway: Also suffers from bad spawns and too many roadblocks.

Streets Of San Fierro 1: Needs the start fixing (see below), spawnpoints are very oddly distributed, otherwise a good route.

Streets of san fierro 2: Even better route, will definetaly be used if spawn is fixed!

Dust Slide: Fun but totally unsuitable start for more than four vehicles, (road width and bridge) may use it in duo competition.

Luggage Carousel (sent to me by RED): Perfect, will definately use it.

Spawn guidelines

SARL race starts should not confer any kind of advantage on one driver over another, and should NOT create congestion and impacts immidiately.

This means avoiding the use of three or four deep lines of vehicles and trying to either use a single line as shown here:

goodspawn1.jpg

Or using seperate lines spaced equidistantly from the first checkpoint (equidistant in driving time not physical distance) as seen here:

goodspawn2.jpg

I know many of the standard maps that come with mtasa do not follow these guidelines, thats down to poor map design by the people involved. Don't fall into the same traps. The area you choose to start your race is as vital as the route itself!

Other Points On Map Design

1 Make checkpoints as big as the road and pavement width. A small checkpoint close to the start causes everyone to dive into the middle and it becomes pure luck as to whether a player is in a good or bad position. You don't have to set each one if you clone for the next one (Shift+F9). Towards the end of the race smaller checkpoints are less of a risk, but always assume that there will be 32 players starting, and a close battle for the end.

2 If your race is going along the edge of a cliff, try to place markers to help anyone who falls off back to the route.

3 When placing checkpoints in the editor, look back to make sure you can see the last one illuminated. This helps to make sure you can always see the next checkpoint in race and don't need to consult to map.

4 Think about using Hoop checkpoints more even in road races. They allow you to see vehicles, turns, obstacles, etc that are ahead a lot better. Something I'm going to be changing and doing in future

Streets Of San Fierro 1: Needs the start fixing (see below), spawnpoints are very oddly distributed, otherwise a good route.

Streets of san fierro 2: Even better route, will definetaly be used if spawn is fixed!

Dust Slide: Fun but totally unsuitable start for more than four vehicles, (road width and bridge) may use it in duo competition.

I will try to modify the spawnpoints. If you want to use Dust Slide for 2 player competition, feel free to do so.. ;)

1 Make checkpoints as big as the road and pavement width. A small checkpoint close to the start causes everyone to dive into the middle and it becomes pure luck as to whether a player is in a good or bad position. You don't have to set each one if you clone for the next one (Shift+F9).

I found the mousewheel quite handy to set the size of the cp so it fits the circumstances.

2 If your race is going along the edge of a cliff, try to place markers to help anyone who falls off back to the route.

What kind of markers do you suggest? I am not very familiar with the objects list yet.