Custom models

Bumnut

Hiya. First off, I have searched the forum a fair bit, and I couldn't find anything like this, so if I'm repeating somebody, I'm sorry.

I noticed that included with the client are some custom models, namely the pickups (repair, nitro, vehicle change). These work perfectly, as everyone's got them. Of course, there's custom code included that goes along with them.

My idea is this: Custom objects, with custom models and coded behaviour can be added. These would take the form of a sort of plugin file that contains the model and the relevnt code. On connecting to a server, it will check if you have the required plugins, and if you don't, it will either direct you to a webpage with the files, or even better, upload them to you directly (within the client).

Obviously this would be after the SDK is out. The plugin system could of course be used to add other features other than new models. This would allow a lot of customisation of the game, while still allowing everyone to use the same client.

That's my idea. I just realised, is this pretty much how the SDK will be implemented anyway?

Hiya. First off, I have searched the forum a fair bit, and I couldn't find anything like this, so if I'm repeating somebody, I'm sorry.

I noticed that included with the client are some custom models, namely the pickups (repair, nitro, vehicle change). These work perfectly, as everyone's got them. Of course, there's custom code included that goes along with them.

My idea is this: Custom objects, with custom models and coded behaviour can be added. These would take the form of a sort of plugin file that contains the model and the relevnt code. On connecting to a server, it will check if you have the required plugins, and if you don't, it will either direct you to a webpage with the files, or even better, upload them to you directly (within the client).

Obviously this would be after the SDK is out. The plugin system could of course be used to add other features other than new models. This would allow a lot of customisation of the game, while still allowing everyone to use the same client.

That's my idea. I just realised, is this pretty much how the SDK will be implemented anyway?

This is how it is done for many of the best multiplayer games (UT)

except they actually have the custom objects built into the map, which is even better because the server doesn't need to find all the files to run every map it has.

However one of the unique (as far as i know) and brilliant things about this mod is that maps are so small that you can fit hundreds on one machine easilly, this is because each object is just replaced by a number and where it is so adding more would mean having to revamp a lot of the system.

maybe an SDK idea though.

except they actually have the custom objects built into the map, which is even better because the server doesn't need to find all the files to run every map it has.

However one of the unique (as far as i know) and brilliant things about this mod is that maps are so small that you can fit hundreds on one machine easilly, this is because each object is just replaced by a number and where it is so adding more would mean having to revamp a lot of the system.

maybe