Strange behavior (apparently CPU related)

A_SN

I observed a strange behavior with MTA. When I first load the map editor, everything goes smoothly, like at least 25 FPS.

But once I join a game, the FPS drops below 5, and often below 1 FPS (!!). At the same time, I notice in the task manager that gta_sa.exe uses hardly more than 1% of CPU (tested as the online game was running in the background), as GTA as a superior process priority and that no other process takes the rest of the CPU anyways, as I guess I could expect a big use of the CPU.

Once I go back to the map editor, it's still all below 5 FPS, even tho i'm disconnected from the server etc..

Has anyone an explanation or a fix or did I spot some bug?

I observed a strange behavior with MTA. When I first load the map editor, everything goes smoothly, like at least 25 FPS.

But once I join a game, the FPS drops below 5, and often below 1 FPS (!!). At the same time, I notice in the task manager that gta_sa.exe uses hardly more than 1% of CPU (tested as the online game was running in the background), as GTA as a superior process priority and that no other process takes the rest of the CPU anyways, as I guess I could expect a big use of the CPU.

Once I go back to the map editor, it's still all below 5 FPS, even tho i'm disconnected from the server etc..

Has anyone an explanation or a fix or did I spot some bug?

They are. No longer than two days ago I used some utility to wipe the graphic drivers out and installed the latest release from nVidia's site. I have the feeling that this issue is not of a graphical nature, but it's just a feeling

They are. No longer than two days ago I used some utility to wipe the graphic drivers out and installed the latest release from nVidia's site. I have the feeling that this issue is not of a graphical nature, but it's just a feeling

• 3 weeks later...

nope haven't encountered that problem. does san andreas play fine in single player mode? If so you can just about rule out graphics. What servers do you join, big heavily populated ones, or small ones? could possibly be a connection problem. more details!

as GTA as a superior process priority and that no other process takes the rest of the CPU anyways, as I guess I could expect a big use of the CPU

If you are running it on high priority, that could be your problem. Sometimes when you do that, the game will respond before your drivers do, so it will lag. The likelihood of this happening increases if the game takes up a lot of resources (which it does when MTA is injected into it).

nope haven't encountered that problem. does san andreas play fine in single player mode? If so you can just about rule out graphics. What servers do you join, big heavily populated ones, or small ones? could possibly be a connection problem. more details!
Yup, in single player, and in MTA while testing a map as well. I join empty server, but it has nothing to do with that, since when I go back to the editor after I tried joining a game it's as slow. what kinda details do you want???
as GTA as a superior process priority and that no other process takes the rest of the CPU anyways, as I guess I could expect a big use of the CPU

If you are running it on high priority, that could be your problem. Sometimes when you do that, the game will respond before your drivers do, so it will lag. The likelihood of this happening increases if the game takes up a lot of resources (which it does when MTA is injected into it).

Nope. I *tried* high priority *because* of this problem. And anyways, it may consider the input from the controllers with a delay, but it won't only use 1% of the CPU.

Don't forget, it's only taking like one percent of the CPU while in a race and while displaying it (with taskmgr on top). This is just not taking up any ressources. It's not bringing the computer to its knees, it's just using 1% of the damn CPU, nothing else is using the rest of it!!. In case it matters I have an Athlon Sempron 2400+ @ 2.0 Ghz.

You would probably mention it, but I still have to ask: does the usage of your hard-drive/dvd-rom rise when your FPS drops?

If it's the first you could try defragmenting your drive and see if that helps (helped me once). You could also check that you have enough free memory when running the game (maybe tha game's memory is being written/swapped to the - very slow - hard drive by Windows, because you're low on RAM).

And if it's the second, try doing a full install of GTA:SA (with music, etc.) - that way GTA won't have to read as much from the (slow) dvd, while in-game.

If it's neither: I'm stumped at the moment :?

You would probably mention it, but I still have to ask: does the usage of your hard-drive/dvd-rom rise when your FPS drops?

If it's the first you could try defragmenting your drive and see if that helps (helped me once). You could also check that you have enough free memory when running the game (maybe tha game's memory is being written/swapped to the - very slow - hard drive by Windows, because you're low on RAM).

And if it's the second, try doing a full install of GTA:SA (with music, etc.) - that way GTA won't have to read as much from the (slow) dvd, while in-game.

If it's neither: I'm stumped at the moment :?

No hard drive activity, otherwise I would have attributed it to it. I use a no-cd crack and have everything installed on disk.

I'm afraid that there's a bug, that for some reason something that prevents MTA from using the full CPU starts when entering some online game and that stays even after the online game is exited (I would check the call of some waiting-pausing function if there is any in MTA). The really weird thing is that I apparently am the only one to report it.

Mobo : ASUS A7N8X-E

CPU : Athlon Sempron 2400+ @ 2.0 Ghz (SSE capable but not SSE2)

RAM : 512 MB PC3200 + 256 MB PC2700 both running @ 333 MHz

Video card : Palit GeForce 6200 128 MB 128 bit NV4A (A1,4x1,3vp)

System : Windows XP Pro SP2 Fr

Video drivers : nVidia ForceWare 83.40

That's about all the useful info I can think of. If you'd like to know about another feel free to ask.

try disabling the AA and see if it improves. My old gforce card was crippled by AA in San andreas, im nto sure why as it was ok in other games.
No AA. See in GTA I like stunting and recording with Fraps, so i put all settings down to make it as fast as possible on my config, and yet sometimes it's not that fast.

Here the problem is that MTA doesn't use all the CPU, but more like 1%. Which of course won't do it good, unless I make my CPU run somewhere near 200 Ghz :wink:

Hmm... thats a nice tip, but if you control+alt+delete cant you throw the window up as well (sometimes its hidden but maybe not with what you said)? Would it throw it in front of a game screen... if it does that makes me angry for all the times ive been stuck in 'crash hell' in vice city :lol:

Ransom: if Vice City hard crashes, you can still ctrl+alt+del, hit G and press del then enter and it will end the process...
hit G and press del then enter and it will end the process?? wtf, i never heard about that, can you explain it please? :?: