Alternate map downloader

Hello guys, I have not succeeded in running the RSS map downloader supplied with MTA:SA, so I made my own one ^_^

link to it is here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mtasamapdld/

Usage is simple.

Paste URL to your RSS (from center.mtasa.com) to the textbox, then click "Download maps".

The program will then download each map from the RSS to the "maps" folder, which will be created in same place where is the program. (if the program is in c:\stuff, maps will be stored in c:\stuff\maps). After downloading it will show message about "download completed" and then it exits. So, very simple tool with GUI. Try it out! :)

Sedimin

Edited by Guest

Hello guys, I have not succeeded in running the RSS map downloader supplied with MTA:SA, so I made my own one ^_^

link to it is here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mtasamapdld/

Usage is simple.

Paste URL to your RSS (from center.mtasa.com) to the textbox, then click "Download maps".

The program will then download each map from the RSS to the "maps" folder, which will be created in same place where is the program. (if the program is in c:\stuff, maps will be stored in c:\stuff\maps). After downloading it will show message about "download completed" and then it exits. So, very simple tool with GUI. Try it out! :)

Sedimin

Edited by Guest

What's wrong with .net 2? Everybody will use it one day, I think when Vista comes and more apps will come, it would be almost necessary. But no offence :) Do you think that remake to .net 1 or to native code would be better?

why I can't get RSS downloader to work? No idea. It just does not want to connect, it does not initiate connection (as my firewall tells me) and netstat command does not show connection. So I had to download maps myself.

What's wrong with .net 2? Everybody will use it one day, I think when Vista comes and more apps will come, it would be almost necessary. But no offence :) Do you think that remake to .net 1 or to native code would be better?

why I can't get RSS downloader to work? No idea. It just does not want to connect, it does not initiate connection (as my firewall tells me) and netstat command does not show connection. So I had to download maps myself.

I don't know if it runs in Mono, but .NET 2 was the best alternative I found. I don't know what the other developers think, but when I want to make something quickly and neat looking, I choose .net. I could do it in native C++ and MFC or C++ and GTK, but I admit that it will take me much much more time to complete something easy like that. By the way, it has about 30 lines of functional code, so it's very easy to port to something other, and it could compile in .net 1 or mono..

and I am not against Linux, I don't love Microsoft. I just think that new visual studio and alternatives is gift from heavens for developing small stuff like this.

I don't know if it runs in Mono, but .NET 2 was the best alternative I found. I don't know what the other developers think, but when I want to make something quickly and neat looking, I choose .net. I could do it in native C++ and MFC or C++ and GTK, but I admit that it will take me much much more time to complete something easy like that. By the way, it has about 30 lines of functional code, so it's very easy to port to something other, and it could compile in .net 1 or mono..

and I am not against Linux, I don't love Microsoft. I just think that new visual studio and alternatives is gift from heavens for developing small stuff like this.

I don't think it matters if you need .net 2 or not. It's great that players have an alternative but it's pretty much identical feature-wise (with the exception of the GUI). It would be good if you added some extra features that the current reader doesn't have, otherwise people aren't really going to use it.

Also, as eAi says, it would be good to hear more details about your problem (e.g. system setup, error messages, etc.).

I don't think it matters if you need .net 2 or not. It's great that players have an alternative but it's pretty much identical feature-wise (with the exception of the GUI). It would be good if you added some extra features that the current reader doesn't have, otherwise people aren't really going to use it.

Also, as eAi says, it would be good to hear more details about your problem (e.g. system setup, error messages, etc.).

ok, so my config.xml is set to the default setup and the tag is set for example to

http://center.mtasa.com/rss.php?h=0ca624ac86b9e5ccc1352491d939f2eb

I run the rss map downloader, it parses config file and then writes "Checking RSS feed..."

When I run netstat to see where it is connected, there is no connection to center.mtasa.com or 67.19.87.235 even if i repeat netstatting in intervals and running the normal downloader. The same results with my firewall turned on or off, so there is no problem with the firewall.

I am running Windows 2000 with latest updates on AMD CPU and cable connection to internet (this goes for my system setup)..

ok, so my config.xml is set to the default setup and the tag is set for example to

http://center.mtasa.com/rss.php?h=0ca624ac86b9e5ccc1352491d939f2eb

I run the rss map downloader, it parses config file and then writes "Checking RSS feed..."

When I run netstat to see where it is connected, there is no connection to center.mtasa.com or 67.19.87.235 even if i repeat netstatting in intervals and running the normal downloader. The same results with my firewall turned on or off, so there is no problem with the firewall.

I am running Windows 2000 with latest updates on AMD CPU and cable connection to internet (this goes for my system setup)..

yes, 1.03

screenshot? I think text output will do:

Multi Theft Auto: San Andreas Map Downloader

######

Feed: http://center.mtasa.com/rss.php?h=0ca62 ... 91d939f2eb

Map save path: mods/race/maps

Updating every 120 seconds with a full update every 50 updates

Downloading up to a maximum of 5 maps per update.

######

Checking RSS feed... Failed

Error downloading RSS feed: Failed reading out response