setMoonSize(0)

Xabache

Question

15 answers to this question

• MTA Team
12 hours ago, King12 said:

I don't know about the thread poster, but I tried installing a fresh GTA:SA and they still appear.

I don't think setMoonSize(0) removes the moon and stars

If the stars and moon was removed via a custom timecyc.dat, then that will no longer work

12 hours ago, ccw said:

If the stars and moon was removed via a custom timecyc.dat, then that will no longer work

Actually they weren't showing before the update (even with a default timecyc.dat), but now they do. There has to be an option to enable/disable them.

On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 10:26, yasin0 said:

<min_mta_version server="1.3.1-9.05063" client="1.3.1-9.05063" />

@yasin0Placing the above in my meta file, at the top, just above the client and/or server Lua file that contains set moon, this does not fix this in a fresh test server.

@King12 Thanks for confirming you have this too!

It has been many years since I wrote my live server from modified mta community assets leaving me to ask...

@ccwHow would I check if I am using a custom timecyc.dat ?

But I can say, I had not modified my server in several years. There had never been moon or stars in that time.  From my in game screenshots I can verify that prior to June 26, 2019 there were no stars or moon in my night sky, and by the latest of July 02, 2019 the moon and stars are large and in charge. There is no known change of my code in that time.

And regardless of the stars roll in this. it must be said if setMoonSize(0) is to function as intended, then this does not function at all at current. Where setSunSize(0) does work fine. And to the stars, that are definitely not the moon, I hope setStarSize(0) will soon follow.

• MTA Anti-Cheat Team
On 22/07/2019 at 04:48, ccw said:

I think that if he's not actually talking about this function, then people have gotten used to the incorrect removal of the moon by setCloudsEnabled, which changed to expected behavior after this recent change: https://github.com/multitheftauto/mtasa-blue/commit/d78847d9a310fbc05566362966444c7b4688653b

Which leads to the realisation something is different (the moon is no longer incorrectly being removed) and the assumption it's a bug.

Even more so, people may have been using setMoonSize(0) together with setCloudsEnabled, under the belief that setMoonSize would actually remove the moon, while setCloudsEnabled was actually doing that. So because the latter changed, and setMoonSize(0) wouldn't really remove the moon, they are facing a moon again.

So, again, it's probably just accustomization to something that shouldn't have been the case in the first place, instead of a bug.

Even though having a scripting function to actually remove the moon can be desirable in future, for now here's an alternative removal shader:

https://community.multitheftauto.com/index.php?p=resources&s=details&id=16132

@Dutchman101

The moon was being removed by a bug, now fixed, leaving the moon, now removed by a shader, you just wrote. Thank you, it works perfectly. However,

setSunSize(0) removes the Sun's disk, if not the godray, and sunlight direction. Which is nice!
but..
setMoonSize(0) will never remove the Moon's disk? This seems inconsistent with both the previous sun function, and the meaning of 0 itself.

I have setCloudsEnabled(false), but the stars, and Venus the big bright star, still exist. Could you create a shader or function to remove them also?

And someday, setStarSize(0) or setStarsEnabled(false) might also do this ;-)

@ccwYup, your old version gives me a starless, moonless night!