[News] Map limit on server (29/01/2006 @ 14:59 CET)

Blokker_1999

• MTA Team

It has come to our attention that there is an error in the server that prevents it from loading more then 256 maps. Maps are loaded in alphabetical order. We recommend server admins to not download every single map but to make a selection. We will remove this error in our next server release.

I think we can all agree the map center sounded like a good idea but just hasn't worked. Perhaps in future the player could download a map from the server he played it on? He'd only get what he knew to be good.

Other maps could be spread in the same way maps are for any other multiplayer game. Fansites, websites, independant map sites to name but a few.

The rankings themselves are flawed. too many maps, not enough people with any kind of incentive to stop playing, go to the site, search for the map and hit vote. It seems only the creators who got three friends to vote have maps with a high rating. The rest incliuding some very good maps sit gathering dust due to no voting.

Like massive hosting sites with files, i supose u can sort into whats most downloaded? Maybe that will get passed the voting issue.

I have 1 vote i never asked for on one of my maps so there is some true votes out there.

Tho i do agree it should perhaps close and be pruned for bugged or incomplete or unplayable maps. Then reopen with some guidlines before posting and certain requirments to be filled.

Like massive hosting sites with files, i supose u can sort into whats most downloaded? Maybe that will get passed the voting issue.

Interesting idea but not the solution I don't think, for similar reasons. There are just too many maps there. Ranging from superb to so crappy they dont even have any player spawns (honestly, I've seen at least two with no spawns). It is impossible to sort the wheat from the chaff without spending days downloading and testing every single one.

So they get downloaded at random, or because they have a good vote ranking (see 'friends voting' above), or because the feed is set to download everything.

Ive given up hope of finding decent maps there, and rely on other sources instead. And would not consider posting my own creations for fear of them getting lost int he flood.

I've noticed that some of the more established maps have, for example, 4 out of 5 stars with 10 votes. I'd much rather play these maps than the maps with exactly 5 stars from 3 votes because the former have been under greater scrutiny, yet still retained a high rating. To me, this would imply that these maps are considered to be good by a greater number of peope than the maps with a higher rating but only a few votes.

In short, I think the number of votes should be taken into account when rating maps.

Laggy yeah thats what I suggested a coupel of days ago, and something the team said they may look into.

Once the limited maps on server issue is resolved

it wont matter anyway, because most admins will

download every map anyway.

I'd say servers full to the brim with terrible maps is a continuation of the problem rather than the end of it.

my buddies and me are working on a so called "MapPack" containing maps from the mtasa center.

When we are done testing, we will release it.

I think that is a way the community can sort out the bad maps.

So whenever you come along a server called Chaos3 feel free to test the maps and add your review in the chat, so that my serverlog can tell me which maps are good, and which suck alot :D

of course these Packs wont reflect any measures of fun, except our own, so it's still possible that the maps in these Packs will be bad.

my buddies and me are working on a so called "MapPack" containing maps from the mtasa center.

When we are done testing, we will release it.

I think that is a way the community can sort out the bad maps.

So whenever you come along a server called Chaos3 feel free to test the maps and add your review in the chat, so that my serverlog can tell me which maps are good, and which suck alot :D

of course these Packs wont reflect any measures of fun, except our own, so it's still possible that the maps in these Packs will be bad.

• 2 weeks later...

maybe a silly idea ... but is it that hard to create a bat(ch) file that swaps all the maps available in the map folder ever soandso minutes

okok ill explain

2000+ files in a map ... batch creates temporary folder

fitrst 200 stay .. rest gets moved

after 30 minutes the 2nd 200 get moved back and the first 200 go to the temp ... etcetcetcetc ...

it isnt pretty .. but its a real easy workaround while waiting for the updated server :D

maybe a silly idea ... but is it that hard to create a bat(ch) file that swaps all the maps available in the map folder ever soandso minutes

okok ill explain

2000+ files in a map ... batch creates temporary folder

fitrst 200 stay .. rest gets moved

after 30 minutes the 2nd 200 get moved back and the first 200 go to the temp ... etcetcetcetc ...

it isnt pretty .. but its a real easy workaround while waiting for the updated server :D

i now do this manually every 2 hours , depending on activity on my server ..

move all "first alfabetical 255 maps" to a temp folder .. and once cycled move them all back

how freaking hard is it to make a tool which does that , and is someone willing to do so ? :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • myonlake changed the title to [News] Map limit on server (29/01/2006 @ 14:59 CET)
  • myonlake locked this topic