Editor suggestions.

Si|ent

The anti-pickup idea is somthing we actually intended to put in the first release, whern we first thought up the pickup idea, but that never happened. We were going to have things like bombs and oilslicks etc - its likely that may still happen.

Object animations are hard to arrange, but its somthing I'd like to see.

Disabling weapons is certainly possible and fairly trivial to do.

Zones aren't hard to do, but I personally can't think of a good way to display them in the editor...

Unordered checkpoints I'd like to see as well, its not really practical with our current checkpoint system, but I think with a partial rewrite server side it'd be easy enough to do.

Triggered object removal (etc) is somthing we do intend to do, watch the blog for more information on this.

I'm not sure about a respawn element, I'm not really sure how that'd work in a way thats useful to map makers. I can see it might be useful on free-roam maps, but I'm not sure why normal spawnpoints couldn't be used in these cases...

Spawnpoint properties, i.e. per-spawnpoint vehicle setting is somthing we'll probably add to 1.1, I think the reason it got ignored was we (well, at least I) didn't realise that it was possible to have per-spawnpoint vehicles. Equally, I guess it'd be useful to have some concept of teams as well. I think this may have to wait for after 1.1 though, as doing this properly requires some of the work we've put into DM to be completed and back-ported to race.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure about a respawn element, I'm not really sure how that'd work in a way thats useful to map makers. I can see it might be useful on free-roam maps, but I'm not sure why normal spawnpoints couldn't be used in these cases...

Is this the current plan then? To use the original spawnpoints? Because I'd heard that checkpoints were going to be used.

The problem with using existing checkpoints, and it's a big problem, is for example the person in first place drives off a cliff. Ooppsie. Respawns back at the last checkpoint. Stationary. Right in the middle of the road. Right as the person in 3rd place is coming up to it, and BAM! Through no fault of his own the 3rd place player has been stopped, and possibly killed.

I really, really think that if there is no re-spawn object then the default should be that players own original spawnpoint

That's great news! Thanks for the response eAi, it is much appreciated.

Zones: Perhaps the designer could drag a square to place the zone, in much the same way as drawing a box in an art application. Being able to resize it would be superb too. As for displaying it I presume you are stuck pretty much with things that are already in SA, perhaps simply a series of small glows (smaller, differently coloured versions of the mouse pointer) to create dotted lines around the borders?

I'm not sure about a respawn element, I'm not really sure how that'd work in a way thats useful to map makers.

I just see it as giving the map maker a little more control, enabling them to choose where the player will reappear. They may choose to place them in key areas of the map in free roam for example so that a dying player will reapper fairly close to where the action took them, rather than back where they began. In more traditional races perhaps the designer will choose to place respawn areas at regular intervals at the start of a race, but further and further apart as the race nears the end, creating a handicap system.

Perhaps a compromise would be being able to set a checkpoint as a NON-respawn? This way by default they would allow a player to respawn, but a handicap system could be introduced? Not as flexible and unlimited as a respawn object but it would still give more options.

I'm delighted to hear that so many details are being included already :)

The anti-pickup idea is somthing we actually intended to put in the first release, whern we first thought up the pickup idea, but that never happened. We were going to have things like bombs and oilslicks etc - its likely that may still happen.
Spike strips (from the garage mission) would allso be a cool (anti-)pickup.
Spike strips (from the garage mission) would allso be a cool (anti-)pickup.

That would also be great as a weapon in dm... :o

The SAMs should be fully fuctional. Esp. for DM. It would attack anyone who get near it. You can set it's properties like don't strike anyone with the tag r[XXX]. If a clan with [XXY} gets near, if will shoot. Even if your in a car, boat, plane, or foot=P

Also. I like the anti-pickup thing. you can add like shoot missile from your car xD.

I think the editor should be like the bitefight team editor, this editor have more tools and let you change skins of heach piece whit some others thinghs that make easier the cration. here is the link to download it, it free:

[LINK REMOVED]

enjoy it!!!

I think the editor should be like the bitefight team editor, this editor have more tools and let you change skins of heach piece whit some others thinghs that make easier the cration. here is the link to download it, it free:

[LINK REMOVED]

enjoy it!!!

I dont know what link you are advertising, and I dont want to know it, but using another editor sounds really bad. replacing the models and skins will **** up the game.

I have an easy request. Can u make the A,D Keys strafe left and right rather than rotate. You can rotate the camera with the mouse. Just a lil fix i noticed to make flying around in the editor easier.

I have an easy request. Can u make the A,D Keys strafe left and right rather than rotate. You can rotate the camera with the mouse. Just a lil fix i noticed to make flying around in the editor easier.

haha u can just do that in the options from the Menu

Another small suggestion that would make a big difference to in-editor navigation (especially if strafe will still not be featured). Pressing SPACE to make the view rise upwards.
and ofcourse don't forget the opposite button of that one.. descending. using crouch ©

:idea: I like to see a map editor upgrade where 2 or more people can hook up via the internet and Lan to work on a map together, there for making it a multi Online map editor. I tell yeah what i've been working on a map for about a week now and if my buddies could come in and work on it with me it would of been done in like a day or 2 instead of a week now. Any how something for the MOD guys to think about....

{GOF}Viscera...................................................

Check out the GOF maps on the MapCenter search GOF all caps as u see it and u will find them. :D

:idea: I like to see a map editor upgrade where 2 or more people can hook up via the internet and Lan to work on a map together, there for making it a multi Online map editor. I tell yeah what i've been working on a map for about a week now and if my buddies could come in and work on it with me it would of been done in like a day or 2 instead of a week now. Any how something for the MOD guys to think about....

Check out the GOF maps on the MapCenter search GOF all caps as u see it and u will find them. :D

ive also thought of that before, kinda like blockland. it'd be great, but i dont see it being easy to do.

Yeah i didn't think it would get done any time soon i just thought i throw the idea in the dev's idea hat if they didn't think of it all ready. But thanks for the nice words..........................

Check out the GOF maps on the MapCenter search GOF all caps as u see it and u will find them. Just added a new map to the center it is a cops and robbers and it is called GOF-Smokey and The Bandit, full details are on the comment of that post...............