Editor suggestions.

Si|ent

Zones, Id like the ability to create a zone, be it an exclusion zone that disqualifies the racer should he enter it, or a zone that can be given other properties, a pickup for instance, nitro,car change, repair.

I've expermented with making enormous coronas but it hasnt really worked too well :)

Random checkpoints. Id also like the ability to remove the enforced order for checkpoints and simply require each racer to pass through each one a single time, leaving the player to decide on his route.

Timed sections, setting a particular amount of time allowed to pass from one section to another, failure = disqualification.

Anti-pickups, slow down, loss of grip, warp to previous checkpoint, puncture tyres, place exploding barrel in front of vehicle and others. Hazards to try and avoid basically. Also remote anti-pickups, similar but the person driving over them gets to choose which OTHER racer to inflict them on.

Placing objects in a line, holding CTRL (for example) would prevent movement of the cloned object forwards or backwards, allowing items to be placed in a straight line easily -

Spawn order I'd like to be able to change the order and priority of spawn in the same way checkpoints can be re-ordered.

Surface placing. F9 clone would automatically place the object on the ground, or upper surface the pointer is on, rather than at the same level as the cloned object wich often results in buried objects.

Triggered object removal/movement. Be it via a timer or an object/checkpoint. Enablign barriers to be removed at appropriate times

Object animation. The ability to set things spinning or sliding from one side to another.

Disabled weapons What it says on the tin. Especially usefull for the RC Plane and the hydra to prevent combat in pure races/fun maps.

Edited by Guest
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zones, Id like the ability to create a zone, be it an exclusion zone that disqualifies the racer should he enter it, or a zone that can be given other properties, a pickup for instance, nitro,car change, repair.

I would certainly like to see possibly some feature of zones brought into the modification. Obviously racing games mostly introduce the repair zone, it would make each race alot more challenging, for instance you would have to time the way you control your vehicles so you dont damage them so you have a better chance of completing the race.

Anti-Pickups would be fun to use to destroy the limits of the contenders racing to complete the track, advantages would be useful to you if you dont get one yourself ;D

yeah the zone thing is a good Idea, I'm allso stuck with my map with a death zone, placing the area full of explosive barrels, but

1) is is a lot of work

2) they only explode once so all the other players wont die

I like the idea...

edit:

and what about object scalement? will it be possible to do this? would bring cool new feautures into the editor.

and an instant save button would be helpfull in hard situations when you are dragging and dropping an object or something

It would be nice if I could clone the selected object but it wont be placed

where the cursor is, instead I can place it just like I selected it from the

menu via left click... Or is there any way to do this my now? Should be

much easier to place explosive barrels like this.

Multiple select. Simple really, the ability to select more than one object and apply the changes to all of them, mostly movement.

cut and paste Similar to above, very handy for rapid movement or cloning of large complicated objects and structures.

The Scale of an object being able to be changed is a must. instead of three roads to create a wide racing area, youll only need one, just scale it up.

also the possiblity of scale is very useful if you wanted to create a "mini" map to take the RC vehicles in. like the RC tank. lol. a mini mt chiliad would be funny. and just mini other areas, and or objects.

another thing, i dont think this would be possible or feasable, but that the textures and objects currently there could be mutated, not evenly, like Scale, but unevenly, so a standard ramp, could be made with the left half higher than the right...... i dont know how it would be done, but warping the objects could be useful for some situations.....

and is scripting events and anything else ever gonna be allowed?

as in the post ahead id like animated objects, so when you go over a checkpoint, maybe the bridge ahead of you starts to rise, leading to some nice (unexpected) jumps. maybe if objects can be sripted to move in paralell, you can have a BIGboat (like the tanker models at the docks) move under the bridge at that time, the next checkpoint being ON the boat.... could be fun....

Another one is MOVING checkpoints. placed somewhere, maybe it MOVES around the map along the roads, and your required to try and be the first to get it, or a checkpoint that when you get closer, it attempts to avoid you. ie: move to the other side of the road when you get close. OR have the checkpoint locked onto the back of a truck-object that moves around the highways, with the object to be to get your car or bike into the truck.

and wouldnt it be great? some really unexpected obstacles could pop up. like you remember the "truman show"? when he try to gets out of town, and all those cars pull out of side streets to block him - all really well syncd? id like to see that in a race. burn down a road, whoops - several cars have suddenly made that impossible..... turn around... could also have a helicopter come flying at you mid race - scripted, like in that level in San Andreas - i cant remember, but you get chased down an alley, as a copter is overhead with its blades pointing at you... hehe, awesome...

• 3 weeks later...

1. customizable minimap icons (where did oj disappear to now??)

2. multiple object selection

3. max object limit increased (i want to make EPIC maps)

4. floating text on map (dialogue boxes?)

5. object snapping, axis isolation, etc

6. triggers (lol... i know this isn't wc3 but i can dream can't i?)

UNDO button would indead be my first request ... but that had been said

is there a "go there" button .. if you are in venturas and select via the "added elements list" lets say the finish checkpoint which is on mt chilliad .. you could press that button and be there instantly instead of having to move there (for about a minute even with shift)

(this comes really handy when objects are floating a million miles above the map ;) )

OK, I think this thread has gone a bit to the fairys and asking for things that are too difficult to do and stand no chance of happening soon. So I'm going to pull it back to things that I think will be easier to code.

1 - Set Vehicle under Spawnpoint Properties - The same as you can set the vehicle for a vehicle change pick-up, this allows you to change the ID in the Vehicle tag of a spawnpoint. The functionality all works, it's just a PIA editing it in Notepad at the mo

2 - Set Blip Colour under Spawnpoint Properties - Similar to the RGB you can set for a checkpoint, this will be the colour of the blip that shows on the radar for that vehicle. Very useful for Cops and Robbers and Smugglers Run type maps

3 - Spawn Timer for Objects - Similar to the respawn timer on Nitros and Vehicle Change pickups, but it's the time until the object spawns. A delay. This could be used to make it easier or harder for the slower racers, and also to spawn barrells on the start-line to kill off people who leave their computers but don't disconnect. Especially annoying when you get two in a destruction derby

4 - Object ID Display - Many, many times I've wanted to use an object I've used in another map, but can't find it in the menu system. At the moment it means playing about with renaming and looking in the xml. This would be a lot easier if the object ID was displayed when an object is selected.

If we are goign to take this thread back to its roots, then:

I've expermented with making enormous coronas but it hasnt really worked too well :)

Random checkpoints. Id also like the ability to remove the enforced order for checkpoints and simply require each racer to pass through each one a single time, leaving the player to decide on his route.

Timed sections, setting a particular amount of time allowed to pass from one section to another, failure = disqualification.

Anti-pickups, slow down, loss of grip, warp to previous checkpoint, puncture tyres, place exploding barrel in front of vehicle and others. Hazards to try and avoid basically. Also remote anti-pickups, similar but the person driving over them gets to choose which OTHER racer to inflict them on.

Triggered object removal/movement. Be it via a timer or an object/checkpoint. Enablign barriers to be removed at appropriate times

Object animation. The ability to set things spinning or sliding from one side to another.

Disabled weapons What it says on the tin. Especially usefull for the RC Plane and the hydra to prevent combat in pure races/fun maps.

And one addition now theres news of respawn

respawn element that can be placed where the MAP MAKER wishes it to be rather than defaulting to the last checkpoint. This means it can be used in dm, chase and freeroam maps and should prevent players appearing int hemiddle of the racing line etc.

note: object animation and anti-pickups arent anywhere near as useful or essential as the rest, I left them though as they would still be handy.

I would like to add triggered object spawning to this list item. This way you could add a ramp in front of a bunch exploding barrels, or make some kind of movie studio tour. Think about a car exploding, or a big wave of water flooding a small village when you drive through a checkpoint.

1 - Set Vehicle under Spawnpoint Properties - The same as you can set the vehicle for a vehicle change pick-up, this allows you to change the ID in the Vehicle tag of a spawnpoint. The functionality all works, it's just a PIA editing it in Notepad at the mo.

Untile this is done, I've knocked up a quick VB app that lets you easily view, reorder, and change vehicle type for spwnpoints on your maps.

Spawnpoint Editor