Patching your 1.01 or 2.00 version of gta_sa.exe

darkdreamingdan

Question

Important note: before using this patch, first re-download the latest version of MTA from https://multitheftauto.com/ and re-install it, as the installer contains a procedure to automatically make your GTA installation compatible (without modifying original game files) that for technical reasons isn't included in the MTA auto-updater, on which many users may rely for years without installing MTA, therefore creating a problem if their GTA installation changes at some point.

So, if you currently have no compatibility or have an unsupported version of GTA (prompting you to come here) or any other similar problem, please first re-install MTA. If  this doesn't help, then proceed with the below instructions.

This topic offers a patcher which will patch the following unsupported versions of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas:

• USA 1.01
  • USA 2.00
  • European 1.01
  • European 2.00
  • German 1.00
  • German 1.01
  • German 2.00

This patch does NOT turn your gta_sa.exe into a crack/No-CD, but converts your gta_sa.exe to a 1.00 EU version. Please make necessary backups in case something goes wrong; we are not responsible for damaged or lost files.

I have tested this personally, though please post if you have any problems while using the patcher.

Although you will be reverting back to a fully moddable version of the game, you will also lose improvements contained within 1.01+, so downgrade at your own risk. Remember, you can always upgrade back to 1.01 from this patched version. Should you experience any problems you can always reinstall GTA:SA.

Pick one of the following mirrors to download:

Thanks to Mike for testing and mista.maja for helping me get a German gta_sa.exe, and to nippy401 for letting me get ahold of GTA:SA 2.00 :)

I have added 2.0 support for DE, untested.

Regarding users of the Steam version of GTA: San Andreas

This patch is not compatible with the Steam version of San Andreas, primarily because the .exe is completely different. You don't need to use this patcher for the Steam version, as the procedure to make MTA compatible with it is now included in the installer of recent MTA versions.

So if you have the Steam version, follow these steps:

1) install the Steam version of GTA. If you already have it installed, make sure the game, more specifically the EXE is unmodded, or else MTA may be unable to perform the operation.

2) download the latest version of MTA (make sure of this) from https://multitheftauto.com/ > "Download" and install it. If MTA was already installed, make sure to re-install it (your files and saved settings won't be lost, MTA will be overwritten only) to ensure the Steam compatibility operation is performed by the installer.

* Make sure to repeat this process every time you re-install your Steam version of GTA, or "verify files" (repair install it) in Steam, or whenever a problem occurs with launching GTA.

Last resort

This topic and the patcher was created to help a group of users that happen to have either modded, or upgraded versions of GTA:SA.
MTA San Andreas is designed for, and thus best supported on, the original versions of GTA:SA (US 1.0 and EU 1.0 EXE's) without later GTA updates (1.01 and later) applied to it.. these updates only change the EXE and not other game files, and break MTA compabibility.

So that also means if nothing in this topic works for you, the last resort (actually the method of preference in any case) would be to re-install GTA from DVD so that you will get the original EXE (US or EU 1.0) which MTA supports entirely. As far we know, no DVD version contains an updated EXE (1.01 or later) and they are all 1.0.

If you find a retail version with an updated EXE, this patcher is still likely to work for it, unlike any modded GTA versions (based on 1.01 or later) from shady sources which the patcher may not recognize. So because of the higher success rate for original game in any shape, we recommend you to only get the original game from retail (DVD or digital download) and we tend to only offer support if this is the case. MTA will not provide support for attempts to downgrade/make compatible cracked, or heavily modded installations of GTA. Besides the ethical aspect, MTA is also designed to best support unmodded versions and stability or functioning isn't even guaranteed in other scenario's.

For more information on places where you can buy legitimate and supported versions of GTA, we advise you to visit this wiki page: 

https://wiki.multitheftauto.com/index.php?title=Where_to_buy_GTASA

NOTE: There have been numerous cases of people externally linking directly to the file. If you wish to link to the downgrader, I request that you link to this TOPIC, not directly to the file. This is to ensure that users having trouble post in this thread rather than creating new topics. If you would like to mirror it please contact an administrator.

* Topic update date: 29th March 2020

Changelog: 

updated Steam compatibility information
added more information

• Like 2

This is getting ridiculous now....

Nobody said anything except me. Do you want his problem to work or not? I'm simply giving a solution to his problem; but, if I were to describe how to fix his problem - it is illegal and cannot be described on these forums.. how hard is that to understand?!

You asked me to explain and I said I couldn't because it wasn't allowed here.

Yes we are...

You want a way to make the downgrader work, without MTA:SA showing the message about inserting the CD/DVD. Correct?

The last thing you asked, before all of this rambling was:

Blank Space said:

I bought SA a few days ago from Best Buy, and I'm running Vista Home Premium. I tried the downgrader for the 2nd edition and after installing it, I tried to start up SA by itself and it gave me an error about "inserting the original CD/DVD into the drive". I have the original disc in there, but it won't load it. But if I don't use the downgrader and just use it as the second edition, it loads fine... I'm guessing it's not compatible with Vista, and I did try to switch the compatibility mode for SA to XP:SP2 under properties, it still didn't take.

You said:

I am having the same problem.. is there a way to make the "downgrader" to work?

I don't think the no-cd crack will solve that...

but it doesn't matter. He doesn't need it and there is no reason to talk about all these cracks. The downgrader patch "works in compatibility mode. MTA doesn't work in compatibility mode."

I got a gta_sa.exe file that this patch doesn't recognizes...

It's a German 2.00 *as ingame it tells me*

It from a legal 16+ German version...

I will contribute this one...

I am positive this is legitimate, there is not enough data in the .exe to extract the full gta-sa.exe. if a moderator/dev finds this is provides the full exe then remove the link and inform me. It requires proper recognition of an authentic version to continue.

From the patcher:

=====================================

This patcher will patch the following versions of Grand Theft Auto San Andreas

USA 1.01

USA 2.00

European 1.01

European 2.00

German 1.01

German 1.00

This patch does NOT turn your gta-sa.exe into a crack no-cd etc, but converts you gta-sa.exe to a 1.00 EU version. Please make necessary backups incase something goes wrong, I am not responsible for damaged or lost files.

I have tested this, though please post if you have any problems while using the patcher.

Although you will be reverting back to a fully moddable version of the game, you will also lose bug fixes contained within 1.01+, so try it at your own risk. Remember you can always upgrade back to 1.01 from this patched version though. Should you experience any problems you can always reinstall.

MIRROR 1 (littlewhitey)

MIRROR 2 (Jani)

MIRROR 3 (GTAForum.nl)

Thanks to Mike for testing and mista.maja for helping me get a german .exe, and to nippy401 for letting me get ahold of 2.00 :)

I have added 2.0 support, for both EU and US. Both untested.

EDIT: There have been numerous cases of people externally linking directly to the file. If you wish to link to the downgrader i request that you link to this TOPIC not directly to the file. This is so that if anything goes wrong they know where to post for help on it, rather than posting help in places outside of this forum.

Does this allow us to play SA:MP as well?

hey i got a problem i got the north american version, and when i try to use the downgrader patch i get this error : the destination directory dosnt have any files to patch, what gives? im trying to downgrade to 1.0 from 2.0 so i can play mp

i just bought san andreas version 2. i want to mod it so i downloaded this patch. it downloaded fine and seemed to downgrade my game to version 1. when i try to play though i get a message that reads "Please revmove disc from current CD/DVD drive and insert the original disc in another drive?:." it gives me the option to retry or cancel and retrying doesnt do anything. it won't let me play the game so if anyone could tell what this message means and how do i fix it if i can. thanks.

can somebody help me i've got the the european or the german version 2 and want to downgrade it to the version 1.

then i found an downgrader but when i want to do this the progrann said the my version is unknown.

what can i do ?????wait for answer

I bought the so called second edition of Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, too.

But I can't use the downgradepatch my version is the german 2.00

and I thought the downgrader would support the damn new version!

I'm browsing for almost three weeks, day and night, just to find a downgrader which works, or at least an old gta.exe..

Please do just something... Im almost crazy, because of this game...

No matter what I will modify my GTA or play MTA (if there are still servers).

I know ... somewhre is this patch (wich works) ... somewhere in the internet....

... and I will find it!! MUHAHAHAHA..haha

It is the "unknown exe" problem again.

so this basically downgrades the second edition back to first? so u can mod it like its the first edition? i need to know... and as fast as possible would be nice?

if u can email me cuz i dont know if i'll even remember this site's url...

[email protected]

Yes. It will take any version of San Andreas that's not 1.0 (Minus Steam/D2D 3.0) and make it a 1.0 exe so you will be able to mod everything. I've personally used it on one of my retail copies and it works fine.