MTA frame limiter

Liviu

• MTA Team

MTA isn't commercial and MTA isn't a game. MTA is a modification developed for free by a team. Since it is impossible for us to create an equal game speed amongst all players we have to artifficialy try to make one.

The game speed of GTA verry much depends on the framerate. We see people often complaining about how someone else is faster then them and they can't catch up with him. This is one of the side effects of having a different frame rate.

Having the frame limiter forced does bring some downsides for some people but in my opinion it was the best solution. Unless you can come up with another one?

Like i said before. People like us that work very hard to get good computers ...

You just wait till you are a bit older. I have been working myself for 3,5 years now. And the first year or two i spend a lot ofmy money on computers. but those big spending days are over. I learned he value of money, especially know i need it to build my own house. there are better things to do with your money then to buy a new computer every year. With all the money i spend on computers the past years, i could have bought half the stones for my house.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MTA Team

MTA isn't commercial and MTA isn't a game. MTA is a modification developed for free by a team. Since it is impossible for us to create an equal game speed amongst all players we have to artifficialy try to make one.

The game speed of GTA verry much depends on the framerate. We see people often complaining about how someone else is faster then them and they can't catch up with him. This is one of the side effects of having a different frame rate.

Having the frame limiter forced does bring some downsides for some people but in my opinion it was the best solution. Unless you can come up with another one?

Like i said before. People like us that work very hard to get good computers ...

You just wait till you are a bit older. I have been working myself for 3,5 years now. And the first year or two i spend a lot ofmy money on computers. but those big spending days are over. I learned he value of money, especially know i need it to build my own house. there are better things to do with your money then to buy a new computer every year. With all the money i spend on computers the past years, i could have bought half the stones for my house.

Unfortunaly i can not come up with any other solutions. I wish i could but i don’t have the remarkable skills that you people have. I was not trying to start a flame war!! I was just commenting on how the frame limiter can be annoying at times but if it is the best way to equal things out, well so be it You people would know better that me but please don’t take my post personally!!

At 20 years of age i have been working for about 3.5 years now as well and i have only ever bought 2 computer systems. The 1st was a crappy old Pentium II (which is the computer that hosts my MTA server) that cost me 200 Australian bucks and i suppose that’s about $170 American and i then bought a second hand Pentium IV and upgraded the graphics card all up costing about 550 Australian bucks and i suppose that would be about $470 to $500 American. There is no way that i would spend a s*** load of money on a computer!! Believe me!! The only thing i really wanted was a good car which i got. I will be getting ready to buy an investment property soon once i get established as a good Real Estate Sales person.

But i think i have touched on a subject i should have left alone and kept to myself so im sorry if i have upset anybody.

Again MTA team thankyou for the best Multiplayer Mod of 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006!!

PS MTA does leave alot of commercial games for dead. I don’t think Rockstar Games will ever understand that Multiplayer is what we want!!

Unfortunaly i can not come up with any other solutions. I wish i could but i don’t have the remarkable skills that you people have. I was not trying to start a flame war!! I was just commenting on how the frame limiter can be annoying at times but if it is the best way to equal things out, well so be it You people would know better that me but please don’t take my post personally!!

At 20 years of age i have been working for about 3.5 years now as well and i have only ever bought 2 computer systems. The 1st was a crappy old Pentium II (which is the computer that hosts my MTA server) that cost me 200 Australian bucks and i suppose that’s about $170 American and i then bought a second hand Pentium IV and upgraded the graphics card all up costing about 550 Australian bucks and i suppose that would be about $470 to $500 American. There is no way that i would spend a s*** load of money on a computer!! Believe me!! The only thing i really wanted was a good car which i got. I will be getting ready to buy an investment property soon once i get established as a good Real Estate Sales person.

But i think i have touched on a subject i should have left alone and kept to myself so im sorry if i have upset anybody.

Again MTA team thankyou for the best Multiplayer Mod of 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006!!

PS MTA does leave alot of commercial games for dead. I don’t think Rockstar Games will ever understand that Multiplayer is what we want!!

• 4 weeks later...

This problem isnt encountered only by those with slow PCs,as i stated before my PC is not weak,i cannot explain why it only happens to some but upping the limit from 25 to 30-35 would be a very good solution ! Even if my PC runs at 30 fps and yours runs at 35,even if you go faster and i can't catch you at least i can play the game normally and i dont get slow-mo happening wich is annoying,right now i have both problems : 1)It moves like s**t 2) Everyone seems to be faster,why not solve the 1st one for sure and in doing so possibly the 2nd ?

already been explained: you are one of the many people who need the limiter because your pc is too slow (there could be many resons why its so slow, what are your specs?) to keep up with the really powerful ones. even if they removed the limiter it would have absulutely no diference for you for you except that everyone else you raced would be even faster than you!

your frame rate in sp and mp are likely to be completely different so dont say you get 60 fps in sp, it doen't mean much.

and if you want to keep up with everyone, lower your graphics, i have them on lowest possible and i relly enjoy it because when a barel explodes everyone sudenly slows down except me.

Allow me to doubt the fact that the difference between SP and MP is so big that this 40 fps difference occurs

My point is that because of the FRAME LIMITER my pc is SLOW,without it it would be as fast as everyones,i tried and turned it on in the single player mode,i wasnt surprised to see i get the same problem,when i get to high speeds i get 18-20. I usually play with the FL off and youve all read what my usual fps is. conclusion : the FL is f-ing everything up,if u dont want to take it off then just up it to 30 or 35 then a 5 fps diff wont be that bad,i doubt that everyone will go even faster,as you stated

I don't see how limiting the framerate to 25 spoils the fun in any way at all. Unless of course you are one of these people who is more obsessed with statistics like winmark scores and FPS than actually playing games?

It has been explained more than once the very real reasons for applying a universal limit in this way.

25fps is perfectly playable and uninstrusive.

I agree.

There have been some issues with gameplay after installing MTASA that have been linked to drivers. So if you have a good spec PC with the latest official drivers for your graphics card, then all should be ok.

if the frame limiter is messing your pc up, then your pc has a weird and wonderful problem. frame limiters are very small pieces of code, if that is dropping your frame rate just by running, there is something very messed up. I have no idea why it would cause that.

if it truly is doing that i suggest you hope for the best from 1.1 but dont excpect any miracles as this seems to be a problem only experineced by you and even if the team did have time to attempt to fix it, if you have the same thing in sp then its probably unfixable.

oh and upping the limit probably wouldn't help as i think the fact that it is running is the problem, not the actual limit.

please post your specs, it could be that you have an unusual combination of specs but i cant think of any that would do that. oh, and what driver do you have? if its a beta driver or old driver, you should go to the latest stable driver, unless you have a good reason. you should never use old drivers if you can, and beta drivers only if you need to use functionality or fixes that are not in the stable release yet.

other than that, ill sleep on it.

Perhaps it could be made an option of the server host to specify the speed of the frame limiter? :wink:

I personally think 25 is far too low, and a good range is between 30 and 40. Keep in mind that 30 is considered the unacceptable/acceptable threshold in most commerical games.

Perhaps it could be made an option of the server host to specify the speed of the frame limiter? :wink:

I personally think 25 is far too low, and a good range is between 30 and 40. Keep in mind that 30 is considered the unacceptable/acceptable threshold in most commerical games.

So true. Hopefully they'll disable it in deathmatch as a slight speed advantage woudn't make any difference.

but what's the whole point of 25fps too low if the game itself (GTASA from R*) allready runs @ 25fps... and without the frame limiter the game hardly reaches 50~60... geez... with a 7800GTX I run BF2 @ 90~100 fps... :shock:

Huh? :?

A speed difference can make quite a large difference in DM too, as seen in vice city. Besides, you are all forgetting that the limit isn't simply to 'level the playingfield', it is primarily to assist with synchronisation and packet timings.

A speed difference can make quite a large difference in DM too, as seen in vice city.

Can you be more specific?

Besides, you are all forgetting that the limit isn't simply to 'level the playingfield', it is primarily to assist with synchronisation and packet timings.

Good point, I think raising it to 30 or 35 might be the best solution.

Bump: I don't get this problem but I have heard it reported by people with PCs that are a lot faster than mine, so it's not due to slow machines. I think the best thing would be for the MTA team to write their own frame limiter at 30 FPS.

• 2 weeks later...
I think the best thing would be for the MTA team to write their own frame limiter at 30 FPS.

Finally someone who understands.And while they are at it,the real-life movement happens at 35 fps or more,35 would be nice,but 30 would do.

I've disabled the frame rate limiter in singleplayer and get 50-60 fps and in MTA I always get 25 fps. But I think 25 fps is enough to stunt and all. I have no problems with 25 fps. It looks smooth enough to play and race, but they should still disable the frame rate limiter anyway for the people who get annoyed with this.

It looks smooth enough to play and race, but they should still disable the frame rate limiter anyway for the people who get annoyed with this

It's to "primarily assist with synchronisation and packet timings". I like what JonChappell said, "I think the best thing would be for the MTA team to write their own frame limiter at 30 FPS"

alltough I like to have a higher limit.

it's funny and unnessesary... lol a LOT of framedrop occurs, especially @ the start. that's cool becouse I nearly don't get any framedrop and accellerate faster as the other players...

tip: look down in crowded area's at the start, I know it's hard to steer but you will accellerate faster ;)

so what I'm trying to say, you can make the limit higher. but a lot of players even don't reach the limit if it's set @ 30 :lol:

• 5 weeks later...
but what's the whole point of 25fps too low if the game itself (GTASA from R*) allready runs @ 25fps... and without the frame limiter the game hardly reaches 50~60... geez... with a 7800GTX I run BF2 @ 90~100 fps... :shock:

?????

What are you talking about in SP i usually get from 50~70FPS

I agree the MTA frame limiter should be 30 not 25, 25 is annoying and iI have the feeling sometimes it isnt runnign at full speed...

I prefer no limiter but i can understand other ppl may need a frame limiter but why just why does it have to be 25? There are ppl that have eyes that read more fps. Please increase the limit to 30 :(

half of the people that I race with are already slower then me because there FPS is lower then 25, could u imagine if they made it 30? Dont take this the wrong way but a few people with high spec pc's(myself included) would dominate the pack. 25 is fine as I play bf2 on all high at over 70Fps(AA at 4x) so if I can play at 25fps in mta perfectly then so can you.