respawn / checkpoint options

Gav

1 How i would like to see respawning handled: for a long race like "long way around" you can set certain checkpoints to be also respawn points. Long Way Around provides for you lots of repair pick-ups, but once you die, its a 10 minute wait. If every 2 minutes or so you passed a checkpoint with spawnign enabled, that becomes your default spawning point. So when you fly over a hill and into the water, you wait 5 seconds then respawn at the last spawn/checkpoint. you probably wont win the race (unless everyone else has to respawn too) but at least its more interesting than watching a couple of guys racing for 10 minutes.

We'd like to implement respawning mid-race, but the issue is, how do we cope with that in maps with no checkpoints, where do you respawn them? We could respawn them right back where they originally spawned, but in some cases that could be a long way away. I can't think of any other solution myself.

it should be enabled via the map settings in the editor (ie respawn true/false), there should be a "randomize respawn" option (also true/false in the map editor) for free roam style maps or any future "frag" or "wins" competitions.

and i cant think of a situation where getting respawned back where you started would be worse than sitting around. for short maps or for whatever kind of map you dont want people respawning because they'd be too far away, you can just disable it when designing the map. now that you have the platform built i dont think it would take months for this to be put in.

2 another idea i had was that checkpoints or pickups could be fitted with a message tag; when you pass the checkpoint or pickup, it displays a short message, perhaps at the bottom of the screen; this could be useful for things like letting players know that the next checkpoint requires them to fly under a bridge or something like that, or in a laps-style race, let them know what lap they are on.

another idea i had was that checkpoints or pickups could be fitted with a message tag; when you pass the checkpoint or pickup, it displays a short message, perhaps at the bottom of the screen.

That's an excellent idea.

i was going to also compare it to a few rally games like Colin McRae rally which have little indicators for the next turn, so if someone was creating a rally style map, they could use a symbol for whats coming up. i know the checkpoints at the moment point toward the next checkpoint but that could be different to where the players will have to drive, eg a little warning symbol that they are facing a hairpin turn or a chicane. the way the symbols could be implemented in the message tag could be similar to the way smilies work in BBcode on these boards; so rather than :wink: making this symbol icon_wink.gif, :chicane: could make chicane.JPG

(except, oviously not drawn be me in paint in a rush, lol)

Another idea - ability to spawn at a certain players location (like spawning with you squad in BF2). Would be pretty usedful if you and your friends were roaming around San Andreas, and one of you died. You could just respawn behind them and continue. The issue with this would be to make sure you don't get spawned in a wall/building and on the proper Z if it has a higher elevation.

This can also be a solution to what eai said.

I think it would be great to have respawn points for all races in MTA, or at least make it an option for the server admin. There would be no respawn in derby matches obviously, but for race i think there definitely should be respawn points. It's so boring watching other people race for 5-10 minutes, that's not what GTA online should be about, that's my feeling anyways. Maybe this is already planned for the full release though, i dunno. I hope it is.

Another idea - ability to spawn at a certain players location (like spawning with you squad in BF2). Would be pretty usedful if you and your friends were roaming around San Andreas, and one of you died. You could just respawn behind them and continue. The issue with this would be to make sure you don't get spawned in a wall/building and on the proper Z if it has a higher elevation.

This can also be a solution to what eai said.

yeah, thats a good idea man (being a fan of bf2 :P)