Connect via Proxy

Here is a small examle:

Say my server is a room in a big building, in order for you to exit the building(you start from "the room") you have to walk through the corridor and from the corridor to the main exit, now say the main exit is blocked(my internet has died), you walk through the corridor again but instead of going to the main exit, you go to the back exit(well you could just jump out of the window but that would hurt :D ). That was an example i though of, and thats how proxy's work, if you have internet to only a few places(in my case its the proxy of my ISP's mother company) you say to the program you use, that you want it to connect to that proxy and from there the proxy acts like your outgoing connection.

I don't know how it works in details, but the basic explaination that i know is that you "jump" to the machine that is the proxy and all the traffic you use(like download things) go through the proxy machine and from it to you.

Hey i'm a newbie at administering networks and stuff, just finding cool things for my ISP's customers to play online.