Not quite what I hopped for.

Do you like the current version of MTA SA?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the current version of MTA SA?

• I LOVE IT!
    • I like it, but is missing needed options\modes
    • I got bored of it after a few hours

First of all, big congrats to the MTA team on finally getting this beast out. I know it had to have been a massive undertaking to bring us what we have today.......

Having said that, I am a little dissapointed with what we do have here.

First off, there is no real ROAM mode. Now I was not expecting to wonder around on foot, or have guns, but I was at least expecting to be able to drive freely across the world, in about any vehicle, die, and respawn.... All this with 32 other players doing likewise. That type of freedom would encourage players to come up with thier own races, and use any vehicles for any race. Maybe I wana race up the chiliad mountain in a monster truck, while a buddy races in a golf cart, another races in a Mr. Whoopie, ect, or maybe just everyone is freely crashing around doing outrageous stunts off the mountain peak, non of which is possible in the current release. When a player dies he has no choice but to wait for every other player to die, or for someone to win the race.

Players can choose a handful of annoying races. I say annoying, because it seams the majoriety of tracks concentrate on many tight turns (why not more speed based, and stunt courses)? The nearly constant sudden 90 degree turns get annoying after a while, and I personally would like to see more straightaways, with dangerous shortcuts (jumps)... I am sure players will come up with some great tracks otherwise.

Then you have the wonderful destruction derby track! This incredibly fun level, is baddly hurt by not having a free for all chaos mode! WHY? WHY? WHY- do players HAVE to wait until only 1 car is left standing before they can respawn???? Why was this released without the option to have players respawn at will? In my opinion (which I am sure you don't want to hear) the decision not to include a respawn option was a very bad choice.

So, no respawning on any of the races, no true freeroam for at least cars, and no all out chaos like I was hoping for. :(

I don't mean to piss on your fresh fire here MTA, I've been here for a loooong time, and waited anxiously for this release! From my point of view, certainly you can understand why I am a little bummed out? I mean come on!! In the air strike matches, where players have airborn dogfights, players who die early, can easily end up waiting 10+ minutes before they can respawn!! Just aweful!!!

I want to play, not watch.

Otherwise, the blue core is great. Very stable on my computer, and certainly a light year ahead of the competition in terms of syched cars. I am sure I'll play this everyso often to kill some time, while I anxiously await the real meat of this meat and potatos dinner. Thank you MTA team, and keep up the good (but not perfect) work. I know this will only get better with each new release.:wink:

((more destruction derby type of tracks please)) :D:shock:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say that I disagree with several things. First off, a lot of the things that you talked about in your first paragraph CAN be easily fixed. All of the maps that are on servers right now are just ones that were made by the QA team. You can easily go into the map editor and make a map to suit your style.

Second, If you read the blog, you should have known that it was going to be race only for like the past month now, so it shouldn't have been a shocker.

As for the respawn thing, that is an issue that can be adjusted in the future, but for right now it is a minor issue that we will have to deal with.

But yes, if you look at the brightside, you see that there is a very stable center that is just scratching the surface of what mta might be capable of in the future. It is very impressive what they have been able to do in a MERE 8 months, espically when you realize that the first version of mta started back in 2003.

Err, if you think what they've acomplished in a mere (err.. 8 months is like... a 80th of the average persons life, you call that mere? :x 8 months, then go and check out SA MP's demo vids.. They got some pretty kewl stuff. *waits on another release now that MTA's out. :P

Err, if you think what they've acomplished in a mere (err.. 8 months is like... a 80th of the average persons life, you call that mere? :x 8 months, then go and check out SA MP's demo vids.. They got some pretty kewl stuff. *waits on another release now that MTA's out. :P

Actually more like 1/120th but who's counting. :)

What I was referring to is if you compare it to the amount of time spent working on mta before creating blue, which was 2 - 3x the amount of time.

I want to go on foot, fight and shoot with other people, going round for the country, i want to get out of vehicles when they are burning!!! :evil:

I thought Mta SA would be more funny, it is very boring racing and racing and racing... :cry:

Why in Mta Vice city you could walk, fight, shoot and do whatever you wanted? I hope there will be several new features in the new release...

I want to go on foot, fight and shoot with other people, going round for the country, i want to get out of vehicles when they are burning!!! :evil:

I thought Mta SA would be more funny, it is very boring racing and racing and racing... :cry:

Why in Mta Vice city you could walk, fight, shoot and do whatever you wanted? I hope there will be several new features in the new release...

they've been saying its a racing mod for 8 months, the deathmatch mod wont be out til the summer.

How i would like to see respawning handled:

for a long race like "long way around" you can set certain checkpoints to be also respawn points. Long Way Around provides for you lots of repair pick-ups, but once you die, its a 10 minute wait. If every 2 minutes or so you passed a checkpoint with spawnign enabled, that becomes your default spawning point. So when you fly over a hill and into the water, you wait 5 seconds then respawn at the last spawn/checkpoint. you probably wont win the race (unless everyone else has to respawn too) but at least its more interesting than watching a couple of guys racing for 10 minutes.

I would have to say that I disagree with several things. First off, a lot of the things that you talked about in your first paragraph CAN be easily fixed. All of the maps that are on servers right now are just ones that were made by the QA team. You can easily go into the map editor and make a map to suit your style.

Second, If you read the blog, you should have known that it was going to be race only for like the past month now, so it shouldn't have been a shocker.

As for the respawn thing, that is an issue that can be adjusted in the future, but for right now it is a minor issue that we will have to deal with.

But yes, if you look at the brightside, you see that there is a very stable center that is just scratching the surface of what mta might be capable of in the future. It is very impressive what they have been able to do in a MERE 8 months, espically when you realize that the first version of mta started back in 2003.

First off, in all the servers I have tried, non of them were running any custom maps. Will players need to download these maps before playing on a server that is running them?

I kept up with front page news only, and admittedly, I did not know the race mode would not allow players to respawn. I DON'T CARE if that is something planned, or if it is something I should have known... The bottom line is WHY would they release this without the respawn option???!!?? Just lame in my opinion, and guarenteed to scare away a lot of players.

Just a minor problem???

There are sooo many maps in which I end up waiting...... and waiting...... and waiting...... This is crap! Utter crap! I wana play already!!! I have been waiting since early summer to play this game online, only to spend most of my ingame time WAITING!!! raaawwrrrg!!! :cry:

And that is what the majoriety will think, as they have not read the blogs either. They simply expect a stunt mode simular to the VC version, where yes you race, but each map allows respawns. How many people do you think, knew that there would be no respawning? A dozen? No doubt it pisses off, and dissapoints 99% of all the players who try this out after doing it for a few hours or days for some.

In some maps like destruction derby, it is much more bearable, since races end quick, but even there, it would just be nice to have respawning and endless destruction.

Planned or not, respawning SHOULD have been in here from the start, as it does hurt it bad to not have it. The servers that don't run respawning in the future (when the next version is released) will be very empty servers.

8 months???

I remember reading a year ago about how the blue core had been in developement for 11 months already? Sure, the SA part was done in 8, but the main blue core its'self has been in development for ages now :?: Have I missed something here?

I love what I am seeing from the blue engine, and I know the future looks very bright for MTA, but after hours of playing in which most of that time was spent waiting (cause I suck at racing) I am disspointed.

:?

No respawning kills the whole moment of the game. I do have to agree, all the races did suck, and were based on too much turning. What I find ironic on this race mod is that the non race maps are the only fun ones.

8 months???

I remember reading a year ago about how the blue core had been in developement for 11 months already? Sure, the SA part was done in 8, but the main blue core its'self has been in development for ages now Question Have I missed something here?

That was the Blue core on VC they've been working on for a long time. They quit that once san andreas was out for PC in june. It will soon be vaporware if another GTA comes out on the PC.

Going to sound like a right fan boy here, but im obsessed with playing it. I love the unpredictability of the races, i love the tight corners where everyone flies off the cliffs.

Also looking forward to DM but this is keeping me more than happy :)

No respawning kills the whole moment of the game. I do have to agree, all the races did suck, and were based on too much turning. What I find ironic on this race mod is that the non race maps are the only fun ones.

so are you saying races are only good when they follow really long straight roads? Rockstar's own farewell my love and wu zi mu are very much based on turning - so i dont know where you get your opinion from.

As for respawning, i think it is a good idea. By simply adding a respawn option lots could be unlocked for players to do.

so are you saying races are only good when they follow really long straight roads? Rockstar's own farewell my love and wu zi mu are very much based on turning - so i dont know where you get your opinion from.

As for respawning, i think it is a good idea. By simply adding a respawn option lots could be unlocked for players to do.

Just so you know, I never liked those races either. I do like turns, just not way too many of them,

We'd like to implement respawning mid-race, but the issue is, how do we cope with that in maps with no checkpoints, where do you respawn them? We could respawn them right back where they originally spawned, but in some cases that could be a long way away. I can't think of any other solution myself.

We'd like to implement respawning mid-race, but the issue is, how do we cope with that in maps with no checkpoints, where do you respawn them? We could respawn them right back where they originally spawned, but in some cases that could be a long way away. I can't think of any other solution myself.

it should be enabled via the map settings in the editor (ie respawn true/false), there should be a "randomize respawn" option (also true/false in the map editor) for free roam style maps or any future "frag" or "wins" competitions.

and i cant think of a situation where getting respawned back where you started would be worse than sitting around. for short maps or for whatever kind of map you dont want people respawning because they'd be too far away, you can just disable it when designing the map. now that you have the platform built i dont think it would take months for this to be put in.

another idea i had was that checkpoints or pickups could be fitted with a message tag; when you pass the checkpoint or pickup, it displays a short message, perhaps at the bottom of the screen; this could be useful for things like letting players know that the next checkpoint requires them to fly under a bridge or something like that, or in a laps-style race, let them know what lap they are on.

How many races of the 70 in the release package have you tried? There are races of every variety, some with more turns than others. Just because not all of the races are drag races as you would prefer, doesn't mean they suck. If you have tried all 70 races (and I'm sure you have, otherwise you wouldn't be able to make that claim) you would see that there really is every type of race you can make, from straight drag races to races with lot's of turns.

And respawning may be important but definately doesn't 'kill the whole moment of the game.' That is just rediculous, lol. It would be useful for free roam maps, but how many other online racing games are there where you can respawn after getting knocked out of a race?