omg it hammers server 2003

It probably spikes up when big maps are loaded (xml files parsed and loaded plus lots of data is tossed around). Not sure why constant high CPU usage can happen though. Try the server that comes with the client release or the Windows server up right now on light.mtavc.com. It was patched about 12 hours after it was released due to several problems with the binaries being UPX packed on win 2003.

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have this problem too. It is a nightmare cause it means I can't host other servers on the same machine.

http://www.multiplayerszone.com/screen1.jpg

http://www.multiplayerszone.com/screen2.jpg

This is my results. Also I have tryed loads of things to try make it lower.

I also notice that pings in game using tab key or when you see players pings in all-seeing eye is doubled but when I run a Freelancer server it fixs that and makes pings lower on mtasa server wich it seems to make them the proper pings like it interferes that way and differant ports even with all other servers not loaded cpu usage is the same though.

Also here are my specs

DELL POWEREDGE SC420 Intel Celeron 2.53Ghz

512MB DDR400 RAM

Windows XP SP2

Um I desperately want Linux windows pwned me:-P But I think it's not right for cpu to go that high. With even 0 players it sometimes goes over 10% with 0 players! No idea what causes this. So your not only ones having this prob!

Ok, on an AMD 1GHz cpu with 256MB RAM, I had the server running for a couple of hours and it never used over 0% cpu.

I don't see the problem.

I concur, I think the problem may be due to amd vs. intel cpu's?

Why I think so:

all the cpu usage problems here posted people are using intel cpus.

also, one night I was doing maintenence on my current server (which is just a cheap AMD duron) I ran the server on one of my dell poweredge's which runs a celeron 2.0ghz and cpu usage was much higher! both machines had 2003 standard, same amount of ram.

at least thats my theory.

I tested 4 players on my AMD Athlon 64 fx51 cpu the results were good 0 cpu most time on the other cpu with 4 players though the DELL POWEREDGE SC420 Intel Celeron 2.53Ghz was hitting 50% cpu and dropping this doesn't do it on the AMD Athlon it was allways 0-4%cpu even when players were comming in and the server had exact copy same settings as the other server all files exactly the same as other server.

So does this only happen with 2003?

This also happens on my Celeron that has Windows XP SP2. It doesn't happen on my AMD Athlon 64 that also has Windows XP but sp1. It's rather interesting what could be causing that I might use an Athlon for the mta server next month. It could be very much hardware related. Like I am wondering myself if the MTASA might use higher cpu on Intel based CPU's or some or all and it seems to not use any cpu on my Athlon when loads players come on it. Only tested 4 players but was a huge difference for me in cpu usage.