[Blog] RC2 released to QA team (by eAi)

orappa

We've just released Release Candidate 2 to the QA team. The main change in this RC is a fix for the crash I mentioned earlier - it turned out this was caused by a small mistake in someones code that managed to cause very erratic crashes. Glad that's out of the way! We've also fixed a couple of other minor issues too...

We've also got some information on server bandwidth usage, which I know some of the companies that provide game server renting are interested in. These are not final and may be inaccurate, but they should give you some idea. The average upload to players is about 35 kilobits per second per player. This clearly is lower for a smaller number of players and higher for a larger server.

Interestingly, when testing, it appears that many races are best played with a smaller number of players. Obviously this is up to the map creator, but a standard race seems to work best with under 16 players, whereas free-roam races can have many more. This is from my experience of our testing, I'm sure some map creators can make some really good 32 player races too, many of them just get too crowded (particularly at the start) with that many players.

16 players race? :o

sounds more like a bloodring than a race really...

maybe on bikes only...

its realy getting too crowded even with more than 10 ppl...

and 32 player race? errr where u ave so long start line so the race will be fair? :shock: