The first P.C. Game you got addicted to.

By-Stander

Mine would have to be Tornado, a great flight simulator that I bought cheaply with a free expansion pack (Gulf war!) to play on my sparkling new (well, second hand) 386 that my mother bought me for college, It featured a slab of a manual that could double as a foot stool, 25 billion keys to learn, (almost), great A.I, the skys were literally full of other air-traffic from passenger liners to other fighters and helicopter gunships. It had fully deformable terrain and fully demolishable (is there such a word) buildings, well ok.. fully demolishable coloured boxes.

The expansion pack had this plus more road traffic and of course the 'historically accurate' Gulf War campaign. Pretty twisted considering the war hadn;t been over that long at the time.

The graphics were great for the time, the plane 'felt' awesome, the replays were endless and interesting.. sometimes instead of studying I'd attatch the camera to a 747 and just watch it fly around.

A week or so later someone gave me doom.. But that's another story.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine was Quake. I got addicted to the demo and had to purchase the game and its expansion packs. In those days, they'd give you a whole episode away free as a demo, so you'd spend days playing it and would have a good idea of whether or not the game was suitable for you. Now most demos can be completed in half an hour.

Quake had such a good atmosphere, I thought. It also had realistic monsters, some of which were genuinely creepy. My favourite was the Shambler - the giant who sent out bolts of lightning and frightened the hell out of you when he suddenly came round the corner. Graphics were pretty decent too. It's still fun to play today, which is a testament to the excellent gameplay. Some people said that Quake 2 surpassed its predecessor but I never really liked Quakes 2 or 3 as much as the original (haven't played 4 yet).

doom ,transport tycoon, worms, civ

aye, Tycoon was a terrible time stealer with addictive tunes

Deus Ex and/or Max Payne.

DeusEx, on of the best games in history imo, a great adventure!

but if it has to be the first game i got addicted, then for me it was Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis :''''') back in the days when there was no internet, i played this game for a few months until i bought the solution! later came the Monkey Island saga, one of my favorite adventure games ever!

the first game i got addicted to at a computer store was Wing Commander 1 hehe. my dad asked if we could see that game and i didnt wanna stop playin :) those were beautiful days ... miss em a lot

Mine was Quake. I got addicted to the demo and had to purchase the game and its expansion packs. In those days, they'd give you a whole episode away free as a demo, so you'd spend days playing it and would have a good idea of whether or not the game was suitable for you. Now most demos can be completed in half an hour.

Arr, the good old days. I loved quake. Remember the 2nd level in the demo? I use to start fights with the ai. God that was funny! The zombies vs. the ogre!

The first PC game i have memory of playing is Doom when i was about 7 or 8. I used to play it in bed on my dad's laptop, untill one day, i heard some footsteps on it that totally freaked me out, i just stopped playing it.

I played C&C a bit when i was about 10 but not much.

I only started PC gaming properly just over a year ago, when i finally got a half decent PC, within a month or so of getting it I discovered MTA, and i became totally addiced to it, probably played 3-4 hours every night for about a month or two, which was a lot for me. Nothing since has got me quite as hooked, possibly because i actually have a social life now which i didn't back then so i don't have as much time for gaming, but the community in MTA is just so great i kept me coming back again and again.

MTA + VCES ftw!!

Prince of Persia i guess :D

twas my fav dos game, took me like 10 years to beat cause i always got stuck at a certain place when i was like 5 years old so i remembered that game when i was like 15 and finally beat it :P

though, i think gtaIII was the first pc game i really got addicted to as it wasnt just linear gameplay...

actually... the wide variety (including mta) of mods for the pc version of gtaIII was the reason i bought a pc in the first place (even though that alt+f12 thingy in am would never work :S)