Open Source

ShayF2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2018 at 06:17, ShayF said:

MTA is open-source, which means that anyone can contribute

Anyone can contribute as you can see here: https://github.com/multitheftauto/mtasa-blue/pulls

Unfotunately it seems that not enough people are given commit access to merge pull requests which is preventing all these pull requests getting merged. I counted 13 different people in those 42 pending pull requests who do not have access to merge pull requests who may want to be doing even more pull requests if they got merged. I made source patches in the past but I didn't feel like doing more until the existing ones had been looked at and by the time they did get looked at I'd lost interest / forgot what I'd learned. The same could apply to these people, they might want to do more but they don't see the point if even their already done stuff may never get merged.

I'm not really sure what the problem is because correct me if I'm wrong but an MTA dev just needs to briefly look at the changed code to make sure it's not dodgy and then the community like me can spend the time doing the testing? Which I would do and have done. Or at least trust a few more people to make commits like the ones who have submit the most PR's.

On 10/11/2018 at 06:17, ShayF said:

use their modified version of MTA. Correct?

No because obviously you could put cheats in your version. You can only use a modified / a custom build version of MTA on modified / custom built versions of the server.

3 hours ago, Arran said:

me can spend the time doing the testing

This would be really appreciated. We can't merge things without it being tested, so if you want to help get things merged quicker, please report your findings!

It would also be great if you joined discord so we can communicate easier: discord.com/invite/mtasa

Cheers

• MTA Anti-Cheat Team

In contrast, over the past 3 years there's never been a period with more PR's getting merged than in the past 8 months..

Not saying we should settle for that, tho.. I agree with qaisjp.

Any developer (without commit access or even prior contributions) is welcome to help out with code review, and any user/dev can test changes contained in a PR.. you don't need to know c++ in order to build MTA and include a PR, for its testing. We've even been trying to make it easier for people to test - please try out http://nightlytest.mtasa.com.

Therefore, the group of people that could speed up processes is bigger than you may imagine.

All of this opens the road for a quicker merge, as less work is then left to do for team members in approving the changes.

• Like 1

I joined discord.

I've already tested the only PR I can see (fast_lookup_byindex) on nightlytest and posted the results of that already. I'm aware that I can download them on github at the checks => appveyor => details => artifacts.

@qaisjp how about some tags on PR's like a "needs testing" tag so once an MTA developer has looked at the code and would be happy to merge it if it's been tested add the "needs testing" tag and then someone (probably me) can test it and then post back the test results and I guess then I could change the tag to "tested".

Edited by Arran
  • 4 months later...

Don't know how I missed this (but I can't find you on discord).

On 04/12/2018 at 21:15, Arran said:

@qaisjp how about some tags on PR's like a "needs testing" tag so once an MTA developer has looked at the code and would be happy to merge it if it's been tested add the "needs testing" tag and then someone (probably me) can test it and then post back the test results and I guess then I could change the tag to "tested".

anyone can post a review, so you can send a review saying "tested"

e.g. https://github.com/multitheftauto/mtasa-blue/pull/895/files see green "Review changes" button. click that and you can send a review.

cheers