[QUESTION] GTA:SA to OpenGL

Hello Everyone!

I'd like to know if it's possible from MTA's Development Team,due to their experience with GTA SA and RenderWare Engine, how much it would take to create a full conversion of GTA SA to openGL.

I know this question seems a little bit crazy, but since all kind of modifications are possible with the enough knownledge.

Thank you very much,

Simple01.

3 hours ago, Simple01 said:

The creation of a port for Linux.

Due to the nature of how MTA works this is impossible, even if we somehow managed to patch everything to use OpenGL on Windows.

However, MTA on Linux, as @CodyJ(L) said, does work with Wine. There shouldn't be too much fiddling about required either. Take a look at our WineHQ entry.  We also provide instructions for getting MTA to work on macOS.

If you need a hand getting around any errors you run into, please do update this thread. We'll try our best to help!

4 hours ago, CodyJ(L) said:

While SA nor MTA does not support it natively it is possible to run this on Linux through the WINE emulator however it requires intensive experimentation to find the right library / packages to run it properly.

I know there's no native support for Linux by MTA's or GTA's part, and I'm not looking neither for running GTA:SA like it is right now on Linux. What I'm talking about is recreating GTA:SA from scratch by making use of methods that are compatible with Linux, but thank you. :D

2 hours ago, qaisjp said:

Due to the nature of how MTA works this is impossible, even if we somehow managed to patch everything to use OpenGL on Windows.

However, MTA on Linux, as @CodyJ(L) said, does work with Wine. There shouldn't be too much fiddling about required either. Take a look at our WineHQ entry.  We also provide instructions for getting MTA to work on macOS.

If you need a hand getting around any errors you run into, please do update this thread. We'll try our best to help!

If it would be possible to know, @qaisjp which are the reasons why MTA's nature wouldn't work out on native Linux? I know there are some Window's dependencies, but I'd like to know them if possible. Thank you.

On 31.7.2018 at 21:28, Simple01 said:

which are the reasons why MTA's nature wouldn't work out on native Linux? I know there are some Window's dependencies

MTA heavily uses the Windows API and compiler extensions of the Microsoft compiler (MSVC). The most important extension is inline assembly (allows you to mix assembly and C++ code).

There's a gcc/clang extension for inline assembly too, but it uses a different syntax, hence huge parts of MTA had to be manually rewritten. From a technical perspective, it is possible to do that since there are pendants for almost all extensions/WinAPI functions on Linux. In theory, it's even possible to patch GTA:SA to use OpenGL and convert the executable format from PE (Windows) to ELF (Linux).

Practically, doing it is by far out of all proportion to the time and effort needed to implement it in comparison to just using Wine/virtualization instead. So finally, it's virtually impossible.

Well I've observed there's an open source project which rewrites RenderWare allowing to play GTA III on Linux, BSD, and other operating systems, so I can say what I was looking for has been answered and there's no need to keep replying on this post. I'd like also to thank everyone who gave away some time to reply and read the posts in here. :D

• 4 weeks later...