[Question] Properly adding bitmaps to objects (3DSMAX Student Version 2015)

kieran

I have been struggling now for months...  I am trying to just make a simple object, with multiple textures that a player can enter...  The collision (.col) loads fine, and works as expected, there is problems with the texture though and I think it might lay within the dff file when I exported it.

To make this object I first made 1 floor and 1 wall, I then cloned the wall 3 times to make a box open at the top, I gave each of these cloned objects and the original one a name (front wall, back wall etc).  After this I cloned the floor, I moved it up and cut a hole in the cloned object (now the first floor), I then modified the bottom floor so it had a ramp, made a cut in the front wall so the player could enter, and then I added my images.

When adding the images, I clicked the little box next to "Diffuse" in the compact material editor, I chose bitmap and imported a .tga image.  I used the same material on the bottom and top floors, a different one for the roof, and also added stairs (just made boxes up to the hole in the top floor) and I COPIED the bitmap using the same .tga and applied tiling to it, I obviously had everything to editable polys, so I selected faces on the outside walls, and applied a brick texture, I then applied another wallpaper texture to the inside (using the tiling function in coordinates to modify it), I also applied tiling to the ramp on the first floor, I detached it and applied the tiling, then attached it again to the original place (copying the floors bitmap once more).  I opened the slate editor and changed the name of all the bitmaps.  I attached all the objects to form one single object, then I exported the DFF and COL with SA Tools, I then use col editor 2 to make the col shape.

When making the texture (.txd) I just used the images I used in 3DS Max, I gave them the names of the .tga image and set them all to compressed.  But it is still not loading the txd saying there is problems.

Should I use a different image for each bitmap, or is it okay using the same one with UV tiling for each bitmap?