[Poll?]What would you like to see in a new map editor?

• 2 weeks later...
local ox, oy, ex, ey = 0, 0, 0, 0

addEventHandler('onClientClick', root, function(button, state)
	local px, py = getCursorPosition()
	if button == 'left' then
		if state == 'up' then
			ex, ey = px, py
		elseif state == 'down' then
			ox, oy = px, py
		end
	end
end)

function find()
	local r
	for i=ox, ex do
		for e=oy, ey do
			local x, y, z = getWorldFromScreenPosition(i, e)
			r = processLineOfSight(x, y, z, xOffset, yOffset, z) -- use custom offsets
		end
	end
	return r or false
end

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Will go live the 16th, I was busy this week so wasn't able to work on it as much as I would have liked. Instead I'll work throughout this upcoming week (And weekend) then launch it Sunday. There are features which I plan to add to the future builds but are not priority thus some are not added yet.

eW3Cprb.png

Current state of things.

Edited by CodyJ(L)
  • Like 2

I'm requesting an easier way to retrieve XYZ location of default GTA map objects, just like in F3 with any object, but with default GTA map.
In the current editor you can copy world objects, but the location doesn't remain the same.
The current editor just makes a copy of the world object + moves the location when It should remain in the default XYZ.
Would be nice to be able to retrieve XYZ location of default GTA map objects without using SAMP editor or scripts to find them.
Because in MTA you need the XYZ of the object on the GTA map to remove it efficiently and accurately with script.

I see the copy or paste coordinates right click menu this is probably what I'm asking for unless it can't select default GTA map objects x D

Here's a screenshot of how I currently retrieve the XYZ of default GTA objects for my friend..
http://prntscr.com/luv31o

• 2 weeks later...

https://github.com/CodyJL/mta-edit

MTA Edit (Editor 2) Alpha, there are many things I need to finish up however it's Chirstmas eve and I'm done with it for the year so there it is.

Does not have saving or loading, however that'll come next month.

I've worked countless nights trying to get it done by Christmas but there's just so much and I still have a few weeks / months worth of work to put into it.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

CodyJ you're doing god's work here. MTA has somehow managed to keep alive a 15 year old game and is still getting better!

I haven't tried this new editor, but the old one has a very annoying issue where if you replace an original world object with an altered version of it, its view distance is not the same as the original object, and there's no way to change it without scripting (which most people don't understand, myself included). For example, in GTA you can see skyscrapers from very far away compared to say, park benches, but if you somehow edit a skyscraper (by deleting it and making a copy), you can no longer see it from far away, only from short distances.

It would be nice to be able to edit the view distance for specific objects and globally. Also, I don't know exactly how LOD works, but it would be nice to be able to set exactly at which distances each LOD model is displayed. This last thing would be very useful for custom models, textures, stuff like that, and it could even be used to improve performance if some objects do not need to be seen from far away.

Another thing would be selecting transparent stuff like wires, bushes, lighting (the stuff that glows even when a model is deleted), etc.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I love the 3d moddeling apps UI style.The corner-to-corner(or vertex) object placement is an awesome idea but can it be made to be precise(no gaps between objects)?

EDIT: If not already implemented, a favorites category in object selector(which you can ofc edit) would be awesome.

Dope project by the way, seems very helpful and easy-to-use

Edited by SheriFF
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is it normal that when you save your map, it displays everything on your live map in this .map file?

I'll name an example. 

I run my mode on your VC map, I then start MTA-Edit and start mapping objects on the ground. Then I save the map, and in the xml it will display all the objects of the VC map, including what I mapped. cus I haven't found out why, I keep having to delete all these objects from this .map file that I don't need.

How is this resource optimized benefitial wise? As in does it use up less FPS than MTA's default editor? Does it use up less ram? Are only the needed things loaded into memory? I know to a regular user things like this may not seem so important, but they may to an experienced user.

• 1 month later...

@Ghost156 You need to set the map saving mode in settings

@ShayF Doesn't hurt FPS at all, even in it's Alpha state. Further builds will be even more optimized. In-fact even now, it runs far better then the default MTA editor.

@delta1337 I have plans for an 'object brush' that'll do just this.

By the way, currently my computer is dead (Long story and not my fault) so will be a while.

Edited by CodyJ(L)
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...