[HELP] Weapon damage multiplier on ped

Galactix

Hello, I am Scripting a zombie rpg server and as I disabled headshot kills on zombies, I would like to make a damage multiplier system depending on the body part hit when you shoot a zombie.

I have been trying to use this script (not mine):

local weaponTable = {
-- populate this list by adding weapons:
-- [weap_id] = { torso, ass, left_arm, right_arm, left_leg, right_leg, head }
 [24] = { 75, 50, 30, 30, 25, 25, 150 },
}

addEventHandler("onPlayerDamage", getRootElement(),
	function (attacker, weapon, bodypart, loss)
		if getElementType(attacker) == "player" and getPlayerWeapon(attacker) and weaponTable[ getPlayerWeapon(attacker) ] then
			setElementHealth(source, getElementHealth(source) - weaponTable[ getPlayerWeapon(attacker) ] [ bodyPart - 2] + loss)
		end
	end
)

but it didn't work on both players and zombie peds.

If someone has a solution for this to work the way I want it would be great (ideally both player and zombie ped multiplier but ped multiplier is more important)

I created something similar for a friend, a simple resource that loads settings from xml file, like how much damage each body part will take for every weapon. You can see how I did it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10KC22xDZ9TkKYJQKoGiyVJ3oYzrLHkCz/view?usp=sharing

before you start using it, just add this to main_server.lua at bottom of the file:

addEventHandler ("onPlayerJoin", root,
function ()
    arrCPlayers [ source ] = CPlayer ( arrCBodyPartsCache )
end 
)

addEventHandler ("onPlayerQuit", root,
function ()
    arrCPlayers [ source ] = nil
end 
)

I'm not a fan of loading data from xml files, I think they should be avoided if possible, because they can freeze your server for a few milliseconds if you have too much info in there, it's better to use a lua table for configuration data, like you did in your original post.

Edited by Saml1er

I tried running your script but it doesn't seem to affect the damage I deal to the zombies with the deagle, even after modifying the multiplier in the damage_config.xml file.

Is the script intended to modify damage dealt to player elements or peds aswell?

Edited by Galactix

I haven't added that part, it doesn't modify player health after receiving damage. It just keeps track of how much damage was caused to each body part, like I said, it's just an example of how to handle damage. You'll need to create an event which detects zombies damage, there's no server side event, this means you'll need a client (player) to trigger a server side event that you'll create. You can gracefully use onClientPedDamage event on client side to trigger your server side event for detecting damage:

client side:

addEventHandler ( "onClientPedDamage", root, 
function  ( attacker, weapon, bodypart )
    -- here we check if the attacker is localPlayer, so we don't trigger
    -- the server side event for all players on server
    if getElementType ( source ) == "ped" and attacker == localPlayer then
        if (getElementData (source, "zombie") == true) then
            triggerServerEvent ("onZombieDamage", resourceRoot, source, attacker, weapon, bodypart )
        end
    end
end
)

server side:

local weaponTable = {
-- populate this list by adding weapons:
-- [weap_id] = { torso, ass, left_arm, right_arm, left_leg, right_leg, head }
 [24] = { 5, 8, 5, 8, 9, 4, 5 },
}

addEvent( "onZombieDamage", true )
function Zheadhit ( ped,attacker, weapon, bodypart)
    if (getElementData (ped, "zombie") == true) then
        -- here you need to decide how much damage to give, I'm not quite sure if this line of code works
        -- but that's something you need to check
        local bodyPartsDamageTable = weaponTable[ getPedWeapon (attacker) ] 
        if getElementType(attacker) == "player" and bodyPartsDamageTable  then
            local damageMultiplier = bodyPartsDamageTable [ bodyPart - 2]
            setElementHealth ( ped, getElementHealth(ped) -  (damageMultiplier * loss) )
        end 
    end
end
addEventHandler( "onZombieDamage", getRootElement(), Zheadhit )

EDIT: create two files, one for server, and other for client, then put this code in there, you have to make sure that they are within the same resource.

Edited by Saml1er
made some adjustments and change triggerServerEvent's source to resourceRoot
  • Like 1

Actually, I'm getting this error now

[21:23:31] ERROR: [OutbreakRPG]\zdamage\damage_server.lua:15: attempt to perform arithmetic on global 'bodyPart' (a nil value)

How to fix it?

EDIT: Changed "bodyPart" to "bodypart" and it's now solved and working completely, thanks a lot again!

Edited by Galactix
  • Like 1