2003 official R* reaction

Blokker_1999

2343898.jpg

Here is an article from a German magazine, called PC Games.

I try to translate in English:

At beginning, the original developers Rockstar planned a multiplayer modus, but then they couldn't do it, because they hat time- and technikreasons. Now, very talented Mod-Makers in the internet, took the multiplayercodes and made them better. The result: At the Page http://www.gta3mtk.tk , can you download the alphaversion of the Multiplayer-Mod. At this time, only 2 players can drive at the self time; in future may the programm let play more players together.

Greetz MioM

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi Blokker,

I had a look at the first version of Multi Theft Auto and was very impressed with what you guys did. It looks like there is a lot of work to be done yet but a lot of progress has been made already. I'm looking forward to playing GTAIII as a multiplayer game.

Being from Holland myself it's good to see the old 'hacking culture' is still going strong in the Lowlands.

I also have to say the web site itself looks very professional. It's a shame the project will no doubt get delayed somewhat when Vice City comes out for the PC.

Keep up the good work.

Technical manager

Rockstar north.

low land low land mpffff if benelux is nothing :(

the people at R* definatly DO NOT hate mods, if any of you modded gta2 like i did, you would know that rockstar relesed their map and script editors! Therefore PROMOTING mods. :) oohh... i fell off my chair.

anyhow, wouldnt it be cool if R* gave out Their editors if they werent commercial (Like the scipt editor)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i think R* expected people to Mod, thus the handling.cfg and the skins, etc..

I doubt they thought things like MTA would come out of it though, MTA is different than other mods because of hwo involved it is... and how little we developed it on.

All the same, R* supports our project so we are happy..

:-)

Kent

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
if i was an MTA dev, i would seriously attempt to incorporate urselves into the official R* games. that would be a serious money maker

But maybe the MTA team aren't out to make money. They make no profit from MTA or this site. They could easily make money by hosting ads on this site, but they don't.

Plus, if Rockstar were making multiplayer, they'd probably do it in-house.

Well, not all true.

1. Wojjie hosts their site and servers for free for having their banners on the page (because they believed MTA would become popular, and they are right as it has had 3361922 visitors as of now). So they couldn't advertise other things even if they wanted to (I would think so anyways as thats also trying to profit and they are getting a free ride.)

2. The servers page has SOME advertisements because TVKE wants to make money (:P).

3. R* would probably not have given them permission to edit GTAVC if they were trying to make money.

If you are interested how abouts I ended up hosting MTA, it all started with Cray. I have known him for quite some time, and heard he got involved with this project. He started getting involved in MTA just after Wojjie Networks got its first Dual server. Anyways, when the site got flooded with hits and downloads of the first MTA version ( I think it was the first version ), they started getting into problems with bandwidth usage being as high as it was. That is where I stepped in and offered to host them.

I believe MTA will continue to grow and I will do my best to be there.

Good work guys!