Interested in a "MMO" of sorts?

Lawliet

I don't know if this is the right section, in case it isn't, please move this topic to the appropriate area. Anyway...

For the longest time, I've been thinking: there's a crapton of roleplay resources out there, all having a similiar premise - you're some dork who has moved to San Andreas and now you gotta make a living. However, I have yet to see an actual RPG being developed and published. This leads me to wonder whether or not there's an interest in some sort of "MMO". You know, where you walk around, kill stuff, level up, unlock new skills, use said skills to kill even more stuff, level up even more...acquire new items, sell items, buy items, modify/enchant/disenchant items, use items to kill even more stuff...you know the drill.
I was thinking of something akin to Diablo with its camera perspective, randomized loot, bosses, raids, ...thing is, that would require a lot of modelling, if I were to use a fantasy setting. Given that GTA is about shooting stuff, I figure something like Borderlands would be more prudent, as it would require less modelling (might as well use the resources given by GTA and MTA and gradually improve upon that).

So...if there are people willing to code/model/playtest such an RPG, I'd be down for that one too. Of course, a lot of things would have to be discussed, but this topic is mainly about checking if people are interested in the first place.

I worked on an idea like this a long time ago, managed to create synchronized sectors and mobs with some basic skills and mobility.

Good luck for this project, I don't think I have time to participate though.

Edited by myonlake

Dystopia 1.0 will cover some or most of what you described here. I don't know of any other actively developed gamemodes like it, unfortunately. Manawydan was working on a fantasy/medieval RPG, I think the resource was released unfinished and can be found on the community download page.

On 2.4.2018 at 12:51, Zorgman said:

Dystopia 1.0 will cover some or most of what you described here. I don't know of any other actively developed gamemodes like it, unfortunately. Manawydan was working on a fantasy/medieval RPG, I think the resource was released unfinished and can be found on the community download page.

I'd love to help out. From what I saw, skills/abilities are something that need to be implemented. I recently introduced "soft skills" to MTA DayZ as a way to shake up the gameplay a little, in case you want to see how I work. Although I'd be happy to help with other stuff, too.