Screen flickering

-ffs-iRenox

Question

Hello everyone

It's been a while that this problem appeared and I can say that I have tried all possible ways to fix it but unfortunately nothing helped. 

I have been playing this game for around 8 years and I never actually had this problem before. The screen is flickering on "standard" when I change it to borderless window, the flickering problem is gone but I have massive FPS drops and the screen freezes after every 10 seconds while playing.

Here you can see the problem on the video

I would really appreciate if someone will be able to help me to get ride of this screen flickering and FPS drops. 

The specs of my laptop are:

i7 - 2.0 ghz

4GB RAM

AMD RADEON R5 2GB

1TB HDD

I have reinstalled the windows several times, tried many other methods from youtube but nothing helped out.

Thanks for reading

10 answers to this question

• MTA Anti-Cheat Team

I had this issue myself (like in your video) a few years ago and because we could retrace to where it was related to, MTA made some improvements to how vertex buffer locking/flushing was done, as investigating the issue revealed shortcomings with that. However, the issue in that case wasn't solved, and much later I discovered it were GPU hardware problems, I had been experimenting with flashing different videocard BIOS (vbios) version onto my card, which tripped something. The GPU problems (or damage) that can cause this kind of graphical corruption can have more causes though.

By writing this I assume your own troubleshooting (you said having re-intalled etcetera) was done properly, and in that case I'd have further advice for you: RMA your videocard under warranty.

But again,  that was my assumption, and I will still try to help you and see if the possibilities are really limited to GPU hardware problems;

Please download and run MTADiag and follow the instructions.

Post any Pastebin URL MTADiag gives you in this topic

@-ffs-iRenox

• Thanks 1
  • MTA Anti-Cheat Team

Let's get back onto this topic after PM'ing back and forth with initial steps..

1) download and extract https://www.wagnardsoft.com/DDU/download/DDU v17.0.8.4.exe

2) choose to delete Intel drivers in the DDU dropdown first, then after a reboot launch DDU again and also wipe ATI / AMD drivers.

Now that all traces for both your GPU's drivers are completely gone, install the following drivers in sequence:

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27267/a08/win64_154037.4835.zip

https://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.3.4-march23.exe

Let me know if this solves the problem, and if not, generate a fresh MTADiag log to post here, @-ffs-iRenox

• MTA Anti-Cheat Team

Uninstall or completely disable any Razer software as much possible; for example Razer Gamebooster, Razer Gamecaster Engine (overlays, even passive, can interfere with your graphics driver), Razer Synapse, Razer Game Manager and preferably the whole Razer Cortex/Central package at once. Also delete "Driver Support AO" and anything related to it, this kind of software does more harm than good.

I wonder how your primary GPU model has magically jumped from Radeon R5 M230 to showing as Radeon HD 8500M. Also while this is supposed to be the primary GPU (dedicated one), MTA seems to pick the weaker on-board Intel HD graphics as preferred GPU. After uninstalling the software I mentioned, enter both control panels of Intel and ATI/AMD and make sure to reset all configuration and settings to default, because said software may have modified it.

After doing that, open up commandprompt (cmd) as Administrator and enter the following: 

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Reboot your PC when finished, open up cmd once again, and this time run: sfc /scannow and wait for it to complete.

Now, zip up the most recent .dmp file from C:\Windows\Minidump and upload it to http://upload.mtasa.com (share the link here) as the BSOD you had recently can tell us more about your system issues which are related to the flickering problem.

If you notice that before I respond to your new post, that none of these steps have worked, then you can proceed to install OEM drivers for your laptop model (Lenovo 20351, IdeaPad G50-70) from the manufacturer's driver support site. The reason is that just like with Nvidia optimus, sometimes generic latest drivers can cause severe problems because of OEM-specific modification incompatibility. This has been described for example on a Microsoft forum post, in which user "Th3r_365" discovered the problem. This is similar to your case with ATI, because once again, your weaker Intel HD graphics is picked as primary GPU for gaming, which shouldn't happen. So eventhough it's a shame, it's worth trying to use outdated drivers for both Intel HD and your Radeon GPU tailored for your specific laptop model. In your case you can get them from Lenovo driver page for G50-70 (model 20351)

• Thanks 1

I finally managed to get ride of screen flickering thanks to the last step that you told me ( Installing outdated drivers for AMD ) but now after the screen flickering is gone I got another problem that I never had before too... I got normal FPS and PING but the game play is not smooth at all. I have some lags and I have no clue from where they come since I don't have any problem with the fps and the ping.

@Dutchman101

Edited by -ffs-iRenox
  • MTA Anti-Cheat Team
1 hour ago, -ffs-iRenox said:

I finally managed to get ride of screen flickering thanks to the last step that you told me ( Installing outdated drivers for AMD )

Make sure to also install the OEM drivers for Intel HD onboard graphics. Your laptop has both that and the dedicated AMD GPU. If the issue is related to this (as there's improvement) then it's a bad idea to use OEM AMD driver in combination with generic latest Intel HD drivers.