Virus found in MTA Client?

Guest JammieDodger

Well i was playing gta 3 with mta until today when i purchased gta vc in order to play with mta... it worked fine for abit then i got a pop up from norton antivirus saying 'BloodHound.Morphine' trojan found at mtaclient.exe i tried to uninstall and reinstall after a virus scan even tried a different copy but it wont let me play because of the virus message....

If you download it from the Gonnaplay.com mirror, it should be fine. This seems to be an issue with certain anti-virus programs because of the way that MTA hacks the memory addresses of GTA.

cheers for the advice il reply back and let people know for future queries.

just tried the download from gonnaplay.com... was the same il just take gamefreek's advice thanks for trying to help though.

Well if you cant play because that error keeps coming on the only thing would be to turn norton off while playing.

I got the same shit today, everything was cool then all of the sudden this shit came up. [TF]Melsy also got the same thing today. I think something is fucked up when 3 people get it in the same day, and there can be more. I uninstalled MTA, reinstalled, rebooted my comp in safe mode and virus scanned it with it in safe mode and everything, no luck.

http://spedizzo.homestead.com/files/mtavirus.jpg

The thing is though, that I get that message popping up whenever I enable NAV. Even when not playing... fuck that I ain't keeping NAV off 24/7 so I don't get that message, i'll just delete MTA...

Edited by Guest

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/av ... phine.html

according to that it triggers because the mta client is packed, and the antivirus' heuristic algorithm (heuristic detection is where antivirus software detects virii based on the method of attack rather than whether or not it is a known virus) uses the bloodhound tech to detect a virus, it caused a false positive. We'll try to contact norton about the issue. But it is unlikely they will do anything about it as they depend on these heuristic algorithms to prevent virii from spreading before they know about them.

but you can rest assured that we did not release any virus code and that your client is most likely not affected by a virus.

The reason it detected so soon is probably due to their recent update to that section of code

( from their site )

Discovered on: August 23, 2005

Last Updated on: August 23, 2005 04:17:24 PM

I'll contact norton and see if there is anything that can be done.

Kent

• MTA Team

My NAV has also detected detected it as a BloodHound.Morphine.

Looks like we'll have to wait till Symantec releases a fix to their av defs. :/

UPDATE:

I've submitted the file (MTAClient.exe) to them, and I've got this as a response:

C:\Program Files\Multi Theft Auto\MTAClient.exe is falsely identified as malicious. To fix this problem, please follow the instruction at the end of this email message to install the latest rapidrelease definitions. Then, restore this file from NAV Quarantine.

I can't paste full message, because it's mainly in polish, but they've reccomended downloading this file, and installing it:

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/antivirus_definitions/norton_antivirus/rapidrelease/symrapidreleasedefsi32.exe

and after that, reinstalling mta or just retrieving deleted MTAClient.exe file.

My NAV has also detected detected it as a BloodHound.Morphine.

Looks like we'll have to wait till Symantec releases a fix to their av defs. :/

UPDATE:

I've submitted the file (MTAClient.exe) to them, and I've got this as a response:

C:\Program Files\Multi Theft Auto\MTAClient.exe is falsely identified as malicious. To fix this problem, please follow the instruction at the end of this email message to install the latest rapidrelease definitions. Then, restore this file from NAV Quarantine.

I can't paste full message, because it's mainly in polish, but they've reccomended downloading this file, and installing it:

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/antivirus_definitions/norton_antivirus/rapidrelease/symrapidreleasedefsi32.exe

and after that, reinstalling mta or just retrieving deleted MTAClient.exe file.

Tried this, got the same pop up from norton. Has it worked for anyone? or has anyone established a fix yet? :shock: