How to disable F8 Console?

Xabache

Question

15 answers to this question

Last week a user rendered my server offline for 8+ hours because unlike me, he knew he could type "admin" into the console and gain access to my admin panel. Commands can be executed from Console. Consoles represent a security threat no matter how remote that may be. I have zero use for my public server to have a Console. It is a potential threat and confusing to users who do not understand what it is, who think they've broken something when they accidentally open it. The Console offers the smarter than me user opportunities, while burdening me with constant worries, that exist for absolutely no valid reason in my case where a Console is neither needed nor wanted.

Surely the client could ask the server for permission on join to access this function. Perhaps a <console>0</console> in mtaserver.conf could dictate this option. Giving server owners more control, and less confusion for some players. Console has no use to the average player and represents a potential security threat if it can execute commands.

So until such a great option as that is added. What workarounds exist? Can I disable the F8 key? Can I make the F8 key do something else? Can I disable the nui when it pops up? Can i remove the editbox from the window? Can I prevent text from being displayed there?

You can use this: https://wiki.multitheftauto.com/wiki/GuiSetInputEnabled

It can disable all MTA internal binds including F8 and chat, but since you mentioned that you're doing this because you think that it imposes a security threat. Actually, nope. You can restrict the command to a specific group like admin in acl.xml. Just add this under "admin" group:       

<right name="command.YourCommandNameHere" access="true"></right>

Also, under "Default" group, add this:

<right name="command.YourCommandNameHere" access="false"></right>

You should read this: https://wiki.multitheftauto.com/wiki/Access_Control_List

Edited by Saml1er
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, NeXuS™ said:

You can execute those commands in the chat too.

You presume there is a chat.

5 hours ago, Skully said:

you can just adjust permissions

You can. Clearly if I could. No one would have opened my admin panel by typing 'admin'

4 hours ago, Saml1er said:

GuiSetInputEnabled

This is overkill. With enabled no bind would function.

My point and question stand... Despite it being overkill in your opinion's, I feel the Console represents a security threat, that is completely needless. That is to say the Console can be used by people smarter than me to do things I have enabled unknowingly to hurt me. While simultaneously the console itself serves no purpose on my server. Push F8 to exploit this noob...

How to disable F8 only. How to prevent the Console window from being available?

The console is there for a reason, there's no need to remove it. You can find it on every server. The commands you can execute from console can be also executed from chatbox. Do us all a favor, write a list of commands that you wish to restrict, and post your acl.xml here. If you don't like restricting them from acl then there's no other way around it.

• MTA Anti-Cheat Team

@Xabache, MTA isn't going to change/add something just because you feel like duct-taping your issues. As others have said, everything that can be executed from F8, can be executed from chat too, albeit without a slash. So if you want to hide console to cover up vulnerabilities on your server, where players can clearly access commands they shouldn't, then it's almost like conveniently hiding a whole tab in Admin panel, without actually restricting the individual function rights in that tab, thinking that it serves your purposes because they can't click buttons when the tab is greyed out. That's something similar and just an unrelated example, but it's just as dangerous as what you're trying to do.

It's not safe to rely on hiding input channels (as you said, you may not have a regular chat either) because it takes a hacked client/improvisely written LUA injector just 1 query to un-hide chat, F8 console, or a tab (as from the similar case i wrote about) or just straight out execute the command/func that is vulnerable in your ACL. The security issue with your ACL will remain, and can cause issues even beyond hacked clients. So, laziness will be rewarded with hacks such as that happened last week and which you've told about. In your case, the ''admin'' command (whether in chatbox or F8 console) is equivalent to pressing ''P'' to open adminpanel, so I assume you just removed or restricted the ''P'' bind before the breach occured. If you really think that is the way to restrict something like that, I would expect you had just registered with 2 posts and weren't a scripter..

Anyways as has been said several times, we can only help you solve your security issue if you provide us your ACL.xml, please only continue posting if you're willing to.

On 2/11/2018 at 22:47, ccw said:

It is not possible to disable the client console. Why do you want to do this?

Incorrect. I was informed by anonymous Rucas that if U are to disable the F8 U better be a Single player.

I assure U that the Mobile Edition for GTA is worse Online , the toggle touch screen controls are on a 

Free Roaming Cam. Angle like cobblers. U juz can't control it as easy as the console/gamepad.

• Sad 1