MTA:SA does not seem friendly with the 10 series Nvidia GPUs (FPS Drops)

Blast3r

Question

Hello.

So for a while I've been having this issue with MTA:SA where my game drops FPS to about 10 for a few minutes until it goes back to normal. I've tested this on multiple servers as well as the map editor and it happened everywhere, I've also looked around and noticed multiple people report the same issue with GTX 10xx series cards, source:

- Multiple players reported the issue here all on GTX 10xx cards:

https://forums.owlgaming.net/topic/87298-random-fps-drops/#comment-586893

- This user has also reported FPS drops with the GTX 1070:

Normally I thought this was probably a problem on my side but then again there are way too many people with GTX 10 series cards reporting it that I'm actually starting to think it's not really me? I'm not sure. My computer specs are as follows:

Intel i5 7500 3,4 GHz
Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1060 6GB
8 GB DDR4 RAM at 2400 MHz
Windows 10 64 bit, version 1709
MTA:SA version: v1.5.5-release-11815.3.004
DxDiag link: https://pastebin.mtasa.com/404263829

I've also pressed Y when asked by the dxDiag in hopes of it repairing my MTA:SA installation, no luck. I have absolutely no issues on other games in terms of FPS and I also didn't have issues on MTA until I upgraded my GPU from Intel HD 630 to GTX 1060 (I've uninstalled HD 630's drivers and made sure MTA:SA is using Nvidia's GPU)

My last resort remains at re installing GTA:SA, but I hope that I won't need to do that as there are some mods that I have and would not like to lose with the re installation (these are the same mods I had with the HD 630 as well that gave me no issues, no additional mods were installed since then).

EDIT: I forgot to note, I checked my task manager at the time MTA:SA dropped FPS and there was nothing out of the ordinary there, RAM usage was fine only at ~550 MB, CPU wasn't overused or anything like that.

EDIT 2: Currently I'm testing out single player to see how it goes. - Played for about 50 minutes, no issues at all even after doing some "intensive" things (let's just say a lot of explosions were made)

Edited by Blast3r

7 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, .Dan said:

hello there

it could be something with programs running in background, or running a modified gta sa (maybe some bad mods installed) or possibly the windows

i'm playing on my lappie with a 1060 6gb and I have no problem running it

I think that singleplayer would mess up in that case though, I have absolutely no issues on there.

15 minutes ago, CodyJ(L) said:

Try changing your nvidia settings to prefer maximum performance under global - > Power management mode.

Just spent the last 10 - 15 minutes testing that, no FPS drops so far, unable to test further. Can't say if it's fixed or not as usually it's quite random and can happen after 30 mins sometimes, hopefully it is though. Thanks.