Could someone explain to me precisely what MTA/Blue is?

Guest DrGamut

I've read the FAQs I've briefly browsed posts and I've asked on IRC, so far no one can accurately depict to me exactly what MTA or the Blue platform is.

What I'm asking is, as programs, what are they/what do they do/what are they modifications to?

So, if it's a modification, what data in GTA is being modified that allows for networked gameplay and how?

If it's a program that interfaces with the game itself, through what means does it accomplish this? The history page suggests it started out as a trainer, but I would never have imagined networked gameplay could be accomplished through distributed memory poking.

What is the difference between MTA and the "Blue" platform?

If any developers familiar with this project could explain precisely what MTA actually is, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks.

What I'm asking is, as programs, what are they/what do they do/what are they modifications to?

We [MTA] are a group that creates modifications for the GTA3 series of games (GTA3/GTA:VC/GTA:SA).

Blue is the name of our next generation, extraordinary new core which will be the platform new mods by us/others are created on. Think of it as a Software Development Kit (SDK).

So, if it's a modification, what data in GTA is being modified that allows for networked gameplay and how?

The inner workings of Blue are kept secret for a number of reasons. However, they involve many hooks. These hooks are placed in strategic areas of the game which allow us direct access to the GTA3 engine.

If it's a program that interfaces with the game itself, through what means does it accomplish this? The history page suggests it started out as a trainer, but I would never have imagined networked gameplay could be accomplished through distributed memory poking.

It is a program that interfaces directly into the game. It does this by hooking certain elements in the Windows API and reasearched GTA procedure calls.

Indeed, MTA was first nothing more than a trainer. The earlier versions just involved syncing values such as player positions, health, car positions, speed, etc. over a network. These days it does much, much more than that.

If any developers familiar with this project could explain precisely what MTA actually is, I'd be very appreciative.

MTA is attempting a major shift. We are soon going to move from a purely multiplayer mod group to a group which provides an SDK for others to create mods with (multiplayer or single player). We will provide a downloadable SDK (unfinished in it's current state) which people will be able to use to create their own modifications later.

Hope this helps a little.

-Derek

wow, its all clear now. So the first couple of MTA mods were just downloadable games, but this Blue is speacial in that, it is a tool that opens the door for all moders to create there own mods.

What about this race mod, is that gonna be the first mod created by the MTA team using the blue core? kinda like a glimps at things to come?

then why are some people bumbed out because "its just a driving mod"? Do they not get the picture of what blue is and what it will bring to the modding community of GTA? a driving mod now, a whole new game later.

Exactly! :)

How beginner friendly will it be? I have the best idea for a great mod but I don't know anything about modding. My chances of finding a grp to convert my thoughts into code are slim to none. Im sure when blue comes out, everyone will be doing their own "thing". *sigh* It seems I will never play my dream mod.

How beginner friendly will it be? I have the best idea for a great mod but I don't know anything about modding. My chances of finding a grp to convert my thoughts into code are slim to none. Im sure when blue comes out, everyone will be doing their own "thing". *sigh* It seems I will never play my dream mod.

Making your own mod doesn't require any specific modding skills, but it'll require a good knowledge of C++ and Object-Oriented Programming (in C++) and possibly some experience with game programming (the concept is pretty much teh same). It's not always easy to learn C++ if you haven't programmed before, so you can't just buy Visual C++ and start with Blue modding without knowing any C++. If you want to make a mod, I suggest you start right away with Visual C++, make hello world applications, and learn every aspect of the language (and possibly gain some experience by making some commandline utilities). http://www.cprogramming.com is a very nice site for tutorials starting from scratch and will take you through the entire language.

Making your own mod doesn't require any specific modding skills, but it'll require a good knowledge of C++ and Object-Oriented Programming (in C++) and possibly some experience with game programming (the concept is pretty much teh same). It's not always easy to learn C++ if you haven't programmed before, so you can't just buy Visual C++ and start with Blue modding without knowing any C++. If you want to make a mod, I suggest you start right away with Visual C++, make hello world applications, and learn every aspect of the language (and possibly gain some experience by making some commandline utilities). http://www.cprogramming.com is a very nice site for tutorials starting from scratch and will take you through the entire language.

sweet, guess I'll try this whole code thing. Thnx ChrML.