Just a tease...

• 1 month later...

We're getting close to that nightly release. Right now Callum and I are trying to resolve a bug that is preventing it from compiling in a matter that is compatible with Windows XP. We have it narrowed down to a library we are using that is refusing to compile with Windows XP support properly.

Edited by SugarD-x
  • Like 1
On 2/16/2018 at 08:55, SugarD-x said:

We're getting close to that nightly release. Right now Callum and I are trying to resolve a bug that is preventing it from compiling in a matter that is compatible with Windows XP. We have it narrowed down to a library we are using that is refusing to compile with Windows XP support properly.

Hello SugarD-X,

I don't know if you still remember me from back in the day i was part of your project but life happened and i went inactive but i am very glad to see that even in 2018 you are still pushing ahead with this :D

Id like to help out again even if its making a couple of lua scripts or hosting a server.

Is there a discord or IRC you guys are still on?

GuNNeR.

41 minutes ago, GuNNeR0.5 said:

Hello SugarD-X,

I don't know if you still remember me from back in the day i was part of your project but life happened and i went inactive but i am very glad to see that even in 2018 you are still pushing ahead with this :D

Id like to help out again even if its making a couple of lua scripts or hosting a server.

Is there a discord or IRC you guys are still on?

GuNNeR.

You may wish to check one topic down in this board. :D

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay. We're almost ready for a new nightly release! Right now there's one stopping bug preventing us from releasing this new nightly build for everyone to test, which is related to our use of Boost's library system for our logging purposes. One of our Developers added it in awhile back, which broke our XP compatibility, and caused a few other issues. Once this is resolved, (assuming no other major issues are found), this will become our next nightly build. Soon after, this may result in an alpha release of 0.6 to the public!

The number of changes we have made since 0.5/0.5r2 are so vast at this point that I'm stumped on how we are going to even write a changelog for the official 0.6 release later. So many crashes that 0.x is well known for have also been fixed. Many thanks to our development team for this, and a very special thanks to VRocker specifically for his tremendous work on fixing a good few THOUSAND buffer overflows, (both potential and actual), that had led to desync issues and major crash problems!

For those of you looking forward to this release, or just want to chat about it, we have a Discord server up and running for all to enjoy! Check it out here: https://discord.gg/8HQsstd

Apologies for the bump, but I thought this deserved a small update!

The Modification

I'm currently working on trying to fix the XP compatibility issues. I may have found a promising fix that I'm in the process of testing out. There is no guarantee that this will work, but it is definitely progress compared to what we've been experiencing prior.

Now that being said, we have confirmed things to be working in at least Windows 7 and Windows 10, (although we expect anything Vista+ to already be operational). Some more testing is needed, but this shouldn't matter much anyway once the XP compatibility problems are resolved.

Also, we have unfortunately found a couple severe bugs that will also need fixing before the next nightly is released. They are causing major crashes and desync that were not present prior, however I believe I have found the cause tonight while trying to work on the XP compatibility issues. The mod itself does run, though! The server is also extremely stable, and a build has been online for more than a week without crashing. I'm also looking at the possibility of the Mac server version, as mentioned here, but no promises on that being done for this nightly.

The Website

I've been doing some work on the website lately, (with much more still obviously needing to be done). For those of you unable to currently register on the forum, we are aware of the problem and trying to find the cause. (It is not as obvious as the ReCaptcha error claims). This will be fixed as soon as I can figure out why it is trying to display older code not present on the server.

Several updates have also been made to the bug tracker, with many more still to go. As you may have noticed, the bug tracker looks pretty buggy, (pun intended). This is because it uses a software called "Mantis Bug Tracker" which is incredibly unfriendly to customizations, even in its latest version. In order to change something so simple as moving an image or formatting some text is insanely difficult and time-consuming, and requires me to document every change I make so later software updates can be applied around the changes. Now with that in mind, some issues caused by the custom design have been resolved, or are in the process of being taken care of. You'll now notice that the navigation bar at the top has a dropdown menu for the "Mantis Bug Tracker" button, allowing you to fully navigate from this location like on the other sections of the website. I'm still working on this, but it should be fully functional now, and the missing menus are now present again.

The Team

Please welcome Zurix to our team! He will be assisting us with testing various builds as we move forward. Zurix, for those of you who don't know, also has quite a bit of programming experience in his background, and is eager to help out where needed. He has also shown heavy interest in future versions of MTA for GTA III/VC, despite not finding the modification until somewhat recently. Thus far he has already been a tremendous help to us!

On that note, we are still looking for more people to assist us! Are you a programmer with C++ experience and knowledge of GTA III and VC? Are you a web developer who knows the ins and outs of PHP, HTML, CSS, and other languages? Are you just yet another fan who is hungry to test out the bleeding edge, error-prone builds of the mod so you can help us squash even more bugs? Do you enjoy social media management, and are interested in creating media and/or informing our users of what is going on in Project Redivivus? Let us know! We are actively looking for anyone and everyone willing to help out!

Sooo...there has been MASSIVE progress today!

As of right now, we have been able to combine nearly all of the code projects thus far into one solution in Visual Studio 2017, which are compiling with absolutely NO errors, and only 3 warnings! (We're in the process of fixing one as we speak). Two of them are related to bugs we have to fix in MTAClient yet. To give everyone a better understanding, this code was originally created in Visual C++ 6.0, circa 2003-2005, and had to be converted numerous times over the years to get where we are now. In the process, numerous bugs and bad/experimental coding issues were found, and a multitude of literally THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of errors and warnings were produced by modern compilers. The entire project also had very little to no documentation for us to go by, and A LOT of the code made absolutely no sense whatsoever, so tracing problems was extremely difficult! This project has come a VERY long way considering everything.

Now I won't reveal much more right now, but be aware that there are huge changes coming soon! That being said, I'd also like to give a quick congratulations to Zurix, who has decided to take on a Developer role instead of simply just testing out our builds! Glad to have you aboard, buddy!

For now, have fun everyone, and quit playing with yourselves! ;)

• Thanks 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Hopefully a new nightly is coming soon! We're still working on the Boost library problems with Windows XP, and we've found a few more problems that need to be resolved, but it is getting there! The website has also been massively updated, and we're making advances on advertising through social media.

Many of major issues with the project have been resolved! We're still working on the Boost situation, but tremendous progress has been made in the last few weeks. Our Beta Testers are also trying out builds that may become our next new nightly, pending a few other changes. Depending on the success of the next couple of nightlies, we may move into beta stage for GTA3:MTA/MTA:VC 0.6. (Because of the slow development over the last few years, our nightlies have been more like alpha builds with random development changes in between, so we understand that the build naming scheme is a bit off. Please bear with us while we try to get that on track).

• 2 weeks later...

Okay folks! Just a quick update! We're still hard at work and trying to get 0.6 Nightly 2 out the door to you all! Unfortunately we've come across a few more small bugs that we have decided to fix before releasing the new nightly so that users can have a more stable, friendly build to test and play with. That being said, in addition to us still also trying to fix the XP build issue, I am actively in the process of trying to get new builds of MTAServer for OpenBSD and FreeBSD built! (Apparently 0.5 included releases of these, however they were not widely known). Due to OpenBSD's security policies regarding code compilation, this requires us to replace an old Unix-specific function in order to get things building again.

Anyway, more coming soon!

• 2 weeks later...

MTAServer on Windows Vista and above 64-bit, (which is unfortunately unable to be built and possibly be used on Windows XP x64 due to the lack of 64-bit support for Windows XP in the publicly-released Windows SDK. This does not affect 32-bit Windows XP builds, and may be fixed in the near future, if possible).

PsjwPqt.png

Edited by SugarD-x

Alrighty...so that no one thinks we aren't making any progress, these are the commits thus far on the private GitHub repository this year alone:

lwOUHca.pnglqXmgcG.png6wgIrTS.pngZlgmjkR.png

And here you can find a small changelog of just some of the things we have fixed:

http://bugs.projectredivivus.com/changelog_page.php

(The actual list is so large, it would be impossible to document it all. We have also lost track, as thousands upon thousands of changes, bug fixes, and features have been applied or added. The changelog list also only contains somewhat recent data from the last time the bug tracker was reinstalled fresh, and does not show past changes that applied to earlier builds of 0.6, nor 0.5.1).

Edited by SugarD-x