100% usage no matter how many cores

DRW

So, I've had my server hosted on a 1 core VPS, which obviously worked really bad, so we've updated to two cores (struggling to have 100 players in it), still bad, so yesterday I've directly moved to 4x2.4GHz, and the thing is... It's working all the same, still can't handle 100 players.

I mean, the server performance stats show us that we're using like 10-25% CPU, but look at this:

79a8e4f34e7a43ff5aeb593ee4bc41b2.png

It goes up to 145%. This is really confusing me. Is it possible that the server is not using all of our cores? Because at least I did not notice any performance improvement at all and our RAM capacity is overkill.

MTA doesn't benefit much from increasing the number of CPU cores, because the main logic is executed on a single thread, so can effectively use only one core (ignoring the fact that a small part of the network code runs on a secondary thread).

To improve the performance, there are several things you can do:

• Investigate what's causing the problems. It's not unlikely that it's caused by the gamemode, so start the performancebrowser resource and check if there're any major peaks
  • Ensure your VPS has a dedicated (not shared) CPU to be able to use all resources. Also, (especially older) Intel CPUs have a better single-thread performance than AMD CPUs (I know, it got better with Ryzen, but most hosters still use older CPUs)
  • Setup an external HTTP server to reduce the load caused by the integrated HTTP server
2 hours ago, Jusonex said:

MTA doesn't benefit much from increasing the number of CPU cores, because the main logic is executed on a single thread, so can effectively use only one core (ignoring the fact that a small part of the network code runs on a secondary thread).

To improve the performance, there are several things you can do:

• Investigate what's causing the problems. It's not unlikely that it's caused by the gamemode, so start the performancebrowser resource and check if there're any major peaks
  • Ensure your VPS has a dedicated (not shared) CPU to be able to use all resources. Also, (especially older) Intel CPUs have a better single-thread performance than AMD CPUs (I know, it got better with Ryzen, but most hosters still use older CPUs)
  • Setup an external HTTP server to reduce the load caused by the integrated HTTP server

Oh, I see, it sort of makes sense. In that case, 4x2.4Ghz would perform worse than 2x3.1Ghz, am I right?

15 minutes ago, Jusonex said:

Well, depends a bit on the CPU architecture, but most likely, yes (assuming there are not too many other services running on the VPS).

Nah, I've only got my server running there. You've just saved me 10$ monthly which are going directly to supporting MTA. Thank you very much.

• Like 2