MTA:SA Progress (29/07/2005 @ 02:29 CET) by Bloodymess13

Bloodymess13

We have been working very hard on MTA:SA over the past few weeks. One of our achievements is the development of an admin system to coincide with MTA:SA. The system allows extensive remote administrative control over the server and the players. This admin system greatly improves the ease of running and administrating an MTA:SA server.

We have made great strides in the race mod, net code, and we have also greatly increased the functionality of the core to help support user modifications. Synchronization is now considerably better then what was originally shown in the first development video. We will be releasing another development video in the next few weeks to show our progress with synchronization and other general improvements.

We are currently implementing a developer blog which we hope to use to keep the community up to date about the development process of MTA:SA. These will be smaller updates instead of a synopsis as appears here on the news. We hope to have this ready and released within a few weeks.

Many people have been questioning how we will handle the situation with San Andreas' rating change. We will be continuing to develop MTA:SA while Rockstar develops a patch for the current game and while they develop an M rated version.

Community input has always been vital to the Multi Theft Auto development process, and with MTA:SA it is no different - we welcome all comments and suggestions in our forums

We would also like to mention that our official MTA 0.5 EU servers are now being hosted by http://www.e-frag.co.uk.

Official European MTA Servers:

83.142.52.30:2003 - VC DM - 12 player

83.142.52.30:2004 - SSV - 12 player

83.142.52.30:2005 - VC Stunt - 12 player

Edited by Guest
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

great :), will we have control over the players position? say if someone made a game mode and they got arrested, they would be sent to the cells for a fixed time?

yeah thats possible

really want to see that new video :wink:

We are currently implementing a developer blog which we hope to use to keep the community up to date about the development process of MTA:SA. These will be smaller updates instead of a synopsis as appears here on the news. We hope to have this ready and released within a few weeks.

great, a devblog :) that is a good idea, GTAT also has it.

this will probably prevent some ppl from saying, why is there no progress and such :P

• MTA Team

well, yeah :P

but i dont think that'll happen

Great info! I'm looking forward to it :)

There is a very simple reason for not releasing "bug fix" releases. This is the route Netscape actually took. Netscape was the first company to employ "wide-betas" (releasing pre-releases .01, .02, .03, etc., not unlike GTAT).

The programmers at Netscape were basically just releasing untested software every time, and fixes were only made after a large enough amount of its users reported the same problem. This created a wide array of versions and subversions, pre-releases, and FINALs, wich resulted in mass confusion.

But perhaps the biggest problem associated with releasing wide-betas is that the users get used to working with buggy software, and hence, the software as a whole is seen as buggy.

Hope that finally puts to rest any questions you guys and gals have about the possibility of an MTA wide beta.

Cited: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000067.html

-Derek

Edited by Guest

i actually don't see your point, because you guys do it for free.

like i said before, both strategies have each pros and cons, none of them is really better.

to use your example about GTAT, 0.1a was only tested with a few ppl, but as soon as it was released to the public, it seemed very buggy. though because of the huge amount of bugreports, there was something to fix; and 0.1b was indeed a lot better.

but you guys also have used a good strategy in the past. sceduled a few closed group betatests, before a beta version is going to be released to the public. the betatetesters report bugs, so that the team can attempt to fix it for the public beta version.

it's just a matter of opinion :wink:

i actually don't see your point, because you guys do it for free.

Not to carry on this subject, but Netscape was/is free. There are more cons with releasing wide betas.

I'm not doubting that releasing wide betas would let us find more bugs. What I'm saying is that by releasing unfinished, untested versions of our software we would in effect be digging our own grave. It has to do with social and software engineering aspects.

Go ahead and read the article i paraphrased (linked in the original reply). Scroll down to #3.

-Derek

oh i see. lol my bad, Netschape is free :P and i guess comparing GTAT with Netscape wasn't very smart of me.

I'm not doubting that releasing wide betas would let us find more bugs. What I'm saying is that by releasing unfinished, untested versions of our software we would in effect be digging our own grave. It has to do with social and software engineering aspects.

yeah i guess you're right. proper testing is required. that's probably a hint for the ppl who wanted MTA 0.5 to be released so early.

cool. Quick question if i may... No deathmatch? :( is the first release gonna just be a race mod?

The 1st release will be a race mod yeah. We will work on dm once that is released.. giving u something to play while we work out the bugs with shooting etc.