Which OS is best for the server?

AlexSwamp

In the past i used linux (ubuntu and debian x64), but now i use windows server 2012. I would like to one vps which only running the mta sa server (i think the linux is better than windows for mysql server and web server). 

Edited by AlexSwamp
On 12/1/2017 at 16:03, AlexSwamp said:

In the past i used linux (ubuntu and debian x64), but now i use windows server 2012. I would like to one vps which only running the mta sa server (i think the linux is better than windows for mysql server and web server). 

Ubuntu is best for hosting game servers, uses very less RAM. Do not ever use Windows since Windows itself will use so much of your RAM. Performance is much better in Linux. For MySQL servers, if you are not much experienced, i suggest you to go for a web hosting, they will provide you MySQL, and so use same for web server.

• Like 1
On 2017. 12. 07. at 22:40, Lampard1 said:

Ubuntu is best for hosting game servers, uses very less RAM. Do not ever use Windows since Windows itself will use so much of your RAM. Performance is much better in Linux. For MySQL servers, if you are not much experienced, i suggest you to go for a web hosting, they will provide you MySQL, and so use same for web server.

I don't problem with linux, because i used linux in the past. I just would like to know linux or windows are better for the mta server (in the past i read in this forum the linux server has some problem with mta sa server). For website and mysql i will use only linux.

• MTA Anti-Cheat Team
14 hours ago, AlexSwamp said:

I don't problem with linux, because i used linux in the past. I just would like to know linux or windows are better for the mta server (in the past i read in this forum the linux server has some problem with mta sa server). For website and mysql i will use only linux.

You always got the Linux camp and the Windows fans, but the fact remains that through the MTA client > server, players end up connecting directly to the host system through Winsock, something that Linux is only re-integrating/''porting'' this Windows functionality in order to provide connectivity.

So in terms of sync and networking stability for connected players, and network performance (not talking about the MTA server software load reduction/uptime longevity possible with Linux), Windows would be better.

I advise you to use Windows Server 2016, in my experience it's quite optimized for MTA server.

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...
  • Other Languages Moderators
On 10/12/2017 at 00:19, Dutchman101 said:

You always got the Linux camp and the Windows fans, but the fact remains that through the MTA client > server, players end up connecting directly to the host system through Winsock, something that Linux is only re-integrating/''porting'' this Windows functionality in order to provide connectivity.

So in terms of sync and networking stability for connected players, and network performance (not talking about the MTA server software load reduction/uptime longevity possible with Linux), Windows would be better.

I advise you to use Windows Server 2016, in my experience it's quite optimized for MTA server.

From

https://github.com/multitheftauto/mtasa-blue/issues/2538#issuecomment-1029828744

Is anyone prove it for today? Seems like a bull:~ (sorry).